D 378 mm
E 228 mm

RS helmet kit made by 3dimpact:

A 316 mm
B 306 mm
D 374 mm
E 229 mm

Dan

Brilliant, this is amazing Dan, I didn't realise you had both :)
Does the one you built yourself have more of the normal visor pinch that I was referring to earlier typical of the closeup lids?
The RS trimmed one seems a little more square as was pointed out on the efx thread...
Any chance of a side by side comp?

Not sure if any of these photos are of help:

Scout helmet Brandon Alinger.jpg Scout helmet production used Paul Wintner.jpg Scout helmet snout Tamiya part.PNG Scout ILM 1.jpg Scout ILM 2.jpg scout1.jpg scoutmold.jpg Scouts relaxing behind the scenes.jpg

Thanks jkno
That second pic is fantastic, never seen that before:)
I wonder if the two scouts relaxing is really a pair of dummies dressed up as fallen troopers on endor?
Why would you keep the helmets on between takes?

Last edited by a moderator:
Fascinating stuff here already, 3DImpact

Checking the pencil trim lines on my untrimmed RS I get

Visor
A 315mm
B 305mm

Making it almost exactly the same as your 3Dimpact visor but bigger than the RS made

Helmet
D 381mm
E 229mm

Making it ever so slightly larger than both of your helmets.

The interesting thing is the difference of the RS made visor.

Its not just smaller but also has a greater taper from back to front, 14mm instead of the 10mm of the other two examples. The taper difference will be even greater when you consider that the visor obviously goes much further back to where it hinges on the helmet.

An important question is, Which do you prefer?

I also have a bigger head...so I made 2 layers of fiberglass in my helmet to make it more solid.My helmet is also complete matt black from the inside.
Not so accurate..but I´m happy with it.;)

I want any pics of production made scouts especially one that slip through the google net, so this is great thanks @Probe Droid , brilliant display too :)

Every pic helps build up and average ideal of what the thing can be trimmed as, or not if that's what you want .

Also do you think I could bother you for measurements like in post 20 please Kroenen77 they are working out to be the easiest way to convert this into info I can share for other builders.

Brilliant, this is amazing Dan, I didn't realise you had both :)
Does the one you built yourself have more of the normal visor pinch that I was referring to earlier typical of the closeup lids?
The RS trimmed one seems a little more square as was pointed out on the efx thread...
Any chance of a side by side comp?

Yes:

7D2_6694_6714_small.jpg

5D3_5217_small.jpg

Dan

Fascinating stuff here already, @3DImpact

Making it ever so slightly larger than both of your helmets.

The interesting thing is the difference of the RS made visor.

Its not just smaller but also has a greater taper from back to front, 14mm instead of the 10mm of the other two examples. The taper difference will be even greater when you consider that the visor obviously goes much further back to where it hinges on the helmet.

An important question is, Which do you prefer?

Between my two RS helmets, the RS-made one actually fits over my head putting it on much easier - it is wider than the one I made myself from their kit. But, I attached the supplied headband differently than the one they made, so that the headband sits a bit farther back in the dome and, thus, the closed visor rests just a bit farther from my face. I cannot wear my glasses inside the RS-made helmet, but I can with my own.

Dan

Do you have the PropStore pics of the Scout bought by RS?

I do thanks, I'll prob add/use those when I come to some conclusions in a bit :) and thanks for the continuing input, this won't be my thread at all so post anything you like guys.

I will be posting another thread of my build when I start proper.

I also have another fiberglass scout that I have had for ages that was supposed to be screen accurate but now I have the RS I can mod it using the RS to help.

I'm now thinking I'll have the glass lid represent a stunt helmet a bit more (even with the screws holding it shut, so exciting), and the RS be more like the closeup.

Well cool beans, thanks to Dan 3DImpact and his pair of scouts (your green scout is amazing btw) we have this to show the difference that trimming can make,
and it's a lot.

web3_Dimpact.gif

As the distance remained the same this is a great comp... I'm also chuffed that I can remember how to make a gif.
Kroenen77 numbers also give me something extra I can work with so thanks for those too, This is all so great :)

Cool that's the pic I was looking for earlier in the thread. It says number 41 on the inside.

The costumes book says 24 regular/closeup helmets and 6 stunt helmets. That's only 30 so this photo contradicts that directly.
Interesting, very interesting.

I also have several of the 3M Speedglas welding facemask suspension rigs that were used inside the helmets like the one posted just above. Why I'm so eager to get one of the RS kits. The gray bolts at the visor hinges are part of the hardware and mount to the headband through the helmet:

HOR-04-0650-00.jpg

Let me know if any measurements of those parts would help (like the bolt face diameter or something).

Here (link to full-size image) is the "Go for help" Scout (he's apparently shy):

star-wars6-movie-screencaps.com-7644.jpg

Also of the less-pinched variety. I looked as hard as I could for clear helmet shots of the clean Scouts on the Death Star, but to no avail so far... I have some others for fun to toss in for the moment. Another of the test-sculpt made by Ira Keeler (being shown off by him):

NEWS_160629719_AR_0_MXAFDIRTTSSG.jpg

Here's one of -- probably -- the stunt helmet being tossed to Rex. I can see Harrison not giving a damn and tossing the Hero, but I think that was mostly used for closeups:

1241.jpg

Do you have the pics taken of the helmet Steve Sansweet has? Many measurements were taken of it on-site...

--Jonah

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back