Bondo alternatives?

Monkeyboi69

Hey everyone I apologies in advance if this is the wrong place to ask this question but did not see any dedicated question spots.

I plan to buy a 3d printer in the very near future and I have a couple largish projects already in mind, that said this applies to other things as well.

I currently live and manage a apartment building and while I do have a shop it is in the apartment and has little to no ventilation.
as a result if possible I would like to know what my best alternative to Bondo is for filling seams.
I dont mind wearing a respirator but I also dont want to poison the tenants that live on either side of my shop.

I've had good success with Durham's Water Putty that has wood glue added. Just don't add too much wood glue or it'll be so hard that it's impossible to sand. I can't think of anything else that would be water based or non-toxic.

-Rog

I would not recommend using Durhams, because it still contains asbestos and the dust from sanding is dangerous. FYI l'm a licensed asbestos worker. Not that I do it for a living but I have gone through the week long training course twice in the last seven years.

Apoxy Sculpt can be forced in the seams and is sandable. You can even use water to smooth it out before it kicks. The only thing is a long wait for dry, sandable time.

Apoxy Sculpt can be forced in the seams and is sandable. You can even use water to smooth it out before it kicks. The only thing is a long wait for dry, sandable time.

A long wait is fine since I'd probably be cleaning up alot of seams and other things anyways, dont so much mind coming back to it the next day.

wont be so bad when summer rolls around then I can set up shop on my deck and mix some Bondo I suppose.

I would not recommend using Durhams, because it still contains asbestos and the dust from sanding is dangerous. FYI l'm a licensed asbestos worker. Not that I do it for a living but I have gone through the week long training course twice in the last seven years.

""We don't have any asbestos in our product. There never has been," said Ron Lindhart, Durham's president."

source... https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/banasbestosindia/GUOkTQiQkCE/nI2yUPX3ugIJ

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, asbestos in Durham's is a wacky claim. It's made to be sanded and worked with so I don't know why anyone would think that...

Aves is really nice. I guess I never think of it as the sort of thing you would spread on. Must be the old school Greenstuff/Milliput user in my head. Definitely go for that if you can get it and get enough of it to use like body filler.

-Rog

""We don't have any asbestos in our product. There never has been," said Ron Lindhart, Durham's president."

source... https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/banasbestosindia/GUOkTQiQkCE/nI2yUPX3ugIJ

That may be true, I was only relating what my instructor told us.

Last edited by a moderator:
Talcum powder is a component in almost every putty, and talcum powder could contain more than trace amounts of asbestos. That is because talc is found next to asbestos deposits in nature. Cosmetic-grade talcum powder has strict quality control but for industrial-grade (for use in putty etc.) the control could be more lax.

Some other alternatives, which are supposedly non toxic, include: Vallejo plastic putty, liquitex modeling paste and wood filler.

Talcum powder is a component in almost every putty, and talcum powder could contain more than trace amounts of asbestos. That is because talc is found next to asbestos deposits in nature. Cosmetic-grade talcum powder has strict quality control but for industrial-grade (for use in putty etc.) the control could be more lax.

That is interesting, and also slightly concerning!

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back