Build: Luke Macrobinoculars (ANH Hero)

Interesting! Has anyone found the metal box style connector from a brand other than Hirose or Honda?

I think as far as the metal male connectors goes... we found a VERY good replacement for casted home made versions. Which (as mentioned before) were VERY good replicas of what we could make out from pictures... even the dimensions were close. Not trying to take anything away from those! It's just now we have a "found item" that is much closer to what was used on the original prop.

Do we need to look for a connector that was possibly only used on British equipment? I did find this oddball male connector with a crossbar that is in between the other two sizes we've found.....

View attachment 777699

There is a darker, more gold-ish layer underneath, but I don't think it's what we're looking for. A nice even sanding job with some tarnishing over time could help add some accuracy to this connector though, if one wanted to take it so far.

just to note.
I think Honda might be the original maker. the Honda's I have, and I assume is the same for all the ue400's has a two piece casting for the tube the cord goes through, where as all the others have marks where the mold has been altered and made in one piece.
IMG_4584[1].JPG

I just received a Honda piece today from another member, and had that same realization! hard to argue with that conclusion. I actually epoxied that piece down to kill the rattling noise it causes.

just to note.
I think Honda might be the original maker. the Honda's I have, and I assume is the same for all the ue400's has a two piece casting for the tube the cord goes through, where as all the others have marks where the mold has been altered and made in one piece.
View attachment 777700

Last edited:
so now that we have the part, here is the big Q for me, to cord or not to cord :)
is there possibly a piece of the cord we don't see? it might look cool

It's quite possible there's part of the cord still up in there. To me, that would be a judgement call. You'll have to take the connector apart to mount it to the side of the Eumig. My vote would be "No Cord" simply because it might make it easier to attach with all that out of the way. The back of the original connector on the prop is so close to the viewer mount that we may never know?

- Jim

I thought I would let every one know here, please be careful of some of these sites that show they have inventory of these parts. a friend and myself have found there are scammers that have built a web pages designed to scam you. might not be news to you but it was new news to me. I ordered several male and female parts, I went through the check out system antered my card pressed order and nothing happened, I entered my card a second and then a third time...nothing, so I found another site, same thing, same pic even, went through the same BS and when I pressed complete order the screen popped up[ with a " your bank has denied your transaction due to your card having suspicious activity " or something along that lines. 30 - 40 seconds later my phone rings, the automation said my card had suspicious activity, some in china was in a clothing store trying to buy close. thinking it was just part of the scam I hung up and called my bank....sure as crap, my info was sent directly to a scammer and they were trying to make a purchase.
my card was cancelled and they sent me a new one.

later when I checked, neither companies had a phone number for the company....seems I should have checked them out better

About the long v.s short release tabs. Imho It's the long tab hands down. As tropper said the vintage ones have the two piece casting. Every Honda one I've seen has the long tabs and would most likely have been the same stock used in the 1970's. All the re-issue non Honda build ones or the " replacement ones" with the single one part for the cable holder have had the short tab. Seeing as these short tab ones and there manufacturers would not have even been made in the 1970's I don't see how they could have used short tabs because the short tabs haven't even been made yet. Also about the color of the tab here is a photo of two Honda ones. You can see that the one in my hand has a green/yellow tint to it more like the move pic.
IMG_0031.JPGIMG_0033.JPG

Last edited:
I have tracked down most of the pieces for the macrobinculars over the years. Does anyone know a member who sells resin parts for the binoculars to use until I get a reasonable price for the missing parts?

Thanks

I have molds for almost every part for this prop. how can I help you :)

please pm me

I have tracked down most of the pieces for the macrobinculars over the years. Does anyone know a member who sells resin parts for the binoculars to use until I get a reasonable price for the missing parts?

Thanks

I'm just an interested bystander who has been following this thread closely since the start - it is close, but I don't think its the same part. (for what its worth!)

Fezfox, sorry for the confusion. That comment was intended for my post, not yours. I made a post asking a question, which I quickly realized I already knew the answer too, and deleted my comment.

@MastahBlastah why delete? I'm just commenting on the pictures posted by @trooper, and his statement :

I wonder if you overlaid a 3D render of the part on stills from the movie, how they would compare?

Are you saying you don't believe this type of connector is correct or just that maybe we don't have the exact version of it yet?

I am just saying this part resembles very closely whats on the prop - but I don't believe its the actual physical object that was used - and I think @troopers picture really brought it home to me. It *might* be a different version of the same connector, or it might be something altogether different that looks a lot like the connector. I don't know. I'll also add I don't think my thoughts carry much weight at all - but sometimes someone not emotionally involved can offer some perspective! :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back