The Martian Space Suit

After a cursory look I am feeling that all of those plates and valves are custom too. I searched for every combination of the writing on them and nothing comes up. They actually seem somewhat nonsensical when you read them. Like the `brass` clips talk about load bearing and stuff. The `Divertor Valve` is nothing like an actual one from what I saw. I Think we may have all the found parts already.

this is kind off cool thay took pictures from a satalite of the location the film is supposed to be set in http://www.uahirise.org/martian/

also got my flight suit just need to find some Hi res images of him on hermes waring it so i can get the detail to give to someone for them to customise has anyone seen any i know there are a few on here but there not that clear

Last edited:
As much I love the book, movie, everything having to do with this story... the game bores the crap out of me. Maybe I haven't gotten into it.

Agreed. It's not what I'd hoped. I was hoping for SOME playable content... not a "Choose Your Own Adventure" thing... not that those are bad, but, yeah, boring is a good adjective for it.

Maybe a potato growing mini-game? Seal the air-leaks in the HAB mini-game? Hydrogen to Oxygen balancing mini-game? "Iron Man" rendezvous with Lewis mini-game?

So many options, and they chose none of them.

Hey, does anyone happen to have any high res images of the diamond-shaped ARES IV mission patch? The one that's on the ARES IV MAV suit that Watney puts on for his ride in the "convertible"?

I've already seen this one...
jimmy-kimmel-mocks-matt-damon-new-movie-the-martian.jpg

Also, any shots of the ARES V patch from the shot with Martinez and the CNSA astronaut in the ending credits?

Agreed. It's not what I'd hoped. I was hoping for SOME playable content... not a "Choose Your Own Adventure" thing... not that those are bad, but, yeah, boring is a good adjective for it.

Maybe a potato growing mini-game? Seal the air-leaks in the HAB mini-game? Hydrogen to Oxygen balancing mini-game? "Iron Man" rendezvous with Lewis mini-game?

So many options, and they chose none of them.

I'm waiting for the movie tie-in "Hydrazine and Iridium Sample Kit", that's when the real fun begins!

- - - Updated - - -

Hey, does anyone happen to have any high res images of the diamond-shaped ARES IV mission patch? The one that's on the ARES IV MAV suit that Watney puts on for his ride in the "convertible"?

http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=239801&p=3775047&viewfull=1#post3775047

Thanks everyone. Those updated photos really helped me finalize a few details I was missing. The computer CAD model is pretty much done now. Just a few minor tweaks to get it ready for 3D printing.

One thing the model I have right now doesn't actually fit an iPhone5. I based the measurement of an earlier photo and its a tad bit to short. (Case could actually be a bit bigger if the iPhone6 isn't on the exact same plane.) Just onticed this when I tried to fit a digital model of an iPhone in it that it was a tad bit short.

Should I grow the case about 4mm's taller to fit an iPhone5? Guessing that might be the easiest way to get a working display into this.
I haven't seen any other ideas on touch screens. So it would make sense to make it fit the phone perfectly.

Also when breaking out the model for printing. Do you guy want it to be exactly like the movie model? Or broken up into smaller pieces to make it easier to print/paint? Example: Buttons/Slides separate.

Also pretty sure the bottom half of the center section is one piece. (The orange piece and the smaller white section with the two big button). Im positive that is just one part just masked and painted. This is because that section slides out to make inserting the phone/display easier. But this can be broken up into two parts also.

Ideas?

Attachments

• Size.jpg
    Size.jpg
    483.2 KB · Views: 186
Last edited:
I was also thinking, how awesome would it be if the wrist computer controlled the lights and features on the suit? Maybe via Bluetooth control of the lighting and even the helmet fan or backpack air system, maybe even include an option for a real cardio bio monitor, which already exists. It would need some creative app modeling but nothing impossible.

-Max

Last edited:
I think for the suit you would be able to use an off the shelf neoprene wet suit with the printed fabric spray glued or bonded to it. It's not a skin tight fit so you don't have to worry about to much stretching.

Last edited:
Have we identified those metal strap clips?
They look like they either took some brass and engraved them themselves, or cast them like the did the armor. I was kind of figuring just going that route, since they say almost all of it was custom, and I have had no luck with finding them yet.

I was also thinking, how awesome would it be if the wrist computer controlled the lights and features on the suit? Maybe via Bluetooth control of the lighting and even the helmet fan or backpack air system, maybe even include an option for a real cardio bio monitor, which aleads exists. It would need some creative app modeling but nothing impossible.
Yeah, I have been toying with that idea. I have a Bluetooth board connected to an Arduino that I bought for that purpose. I want to connect at least pulse and temperature sensors. Could do atmospheric pressure and some other things as well. I had not though about controlling the lights, but that would all be totally possible. Just limited by the chosen arduino. There should be enough room to put it in the helmet somewhere, and then wire it all up inside. I have some things I definitely want to do with it, but have not gotten a chance to yet. I am not a UI person, but I can get it functional under the hood I think.The other problem is that I can only make the app for Android. It would be open source of course, but would need to team up with others to make it more usable overall.

Thanks everyone. Those updated photos really helped me finalize a few details I was missing. The computer CAD model is pretty much done now. Just a few minor tweaks to get it ready for 3D printing.

One thing the model I have right now doesn't actually fit an iPhone5. I based the measurement of an earlier photo and its a tad bit to short. (Case could actually be a bit bigger if the iPhone6 isn't on the exact same plane.) Just onticed this when I tried to fit a digital model of an iPhone in it that it was a tad bit short.

Should I grow the case about 4mm's taller to fit an iPhone5? Guessing that might be the easiest way to get a working display into this.
I haven't seen any other ideas on touch screens. So it would make sense to make it fit the phone perfectly.

Also when breaking out the model for printing. Do you guy want it to be exactly like the movie model? Or broken up into smaller pieces to make it easier to print/paint? Example: Buttons/Slides separate.

Also pretty sure the bottom half of the center section is one piece. (The orange piece and the smaller white section with the two big button). Im positive that is just one part just masked and painted. This is because that section slides out to make inserting the phone/display easier. But this can be broken up into two parts also.

Ideas?

Maybe it's built around the iphone 4? I'd keep the same proportions as the screen used. Breaking out the buttons and sliders separate would be ideal.

maxresdefault.jpg

Maybe it's built around the iphone 4?

Somehow I missed this photo. Going off the ruler photo. The iPhone 5S fits perfectly. Going to tweak my dimensions all off this photo.
I will try and finalize the files by Friday. I want to make a test print of these before I release them to the wild. But I'm out of town all weekend, if anyone has a printer and they'd be willing to print them out this weekend, let me know. (Otherwise I'll print them out starting Monday and files should be out by Wednesday, barring no major issues.)

SizeUpdate.jpg

Edit:
Here is the final model overlayed with the photo.
Final_Overay.jpg

Last edited:
But I'm out of town all weekend, if anyone has a printer and they'd be willing to print them out this weekend, let me know. (Otherwise I'll print them out starting Monday and files should be out by Wednesday, barring no major issues.
Getting a few upgrade parts in for my printer by Saturday, so I am willing to try a print at least. Assuming I get it all tuned up quickly. Won't be perfect, but it does give an idea about printability.

I received overall rough dimensions for the helmet, FBFX is being understandably cautious (you don't bite the hand that feeds you). Also some hints as to the position of major details. It is very possible that I may have to start a new model based on this information because of the way the 3d program(SolidWorks) functions. No worries, even if I did have to start from the beginning, I have worked everything out, it may even benefit the model.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back