Rian Johnson to write and direct a new trilogy of films.. (Star Wars Universe)

Every time he opens his mouth he slides a little further in to Hollywood oblivion. Outside the shielding of Kathleen Kennedy`s office I`m sure he`s held in very little regard amongst peers in the industry. Ridley Scott said that The Last Jedi is the result of handing over a billion dollar franchise to a low budget operator. Says it all really.

giphy.gif

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I`m sure he`s held in very little regard amongst peers in the industry. Ridley Scott said that The Last Jedi is the result of handing over a billion dollar franchise to a low budget operator. Says it all really.

He is one of the most well regarded writer / directors of his generation, praised endlessly by his peers. More and more with each film he releases.

Also, Scott is so out of touch it's beginning to border on senility. Rian's films have gradually increased in budget in an incredibly traditional fashion. BRICK was firmly micro-budget, BROTHERS BLOOM was low budget, and LOOPER was a rare mid-budget sci-fi, as was intended. He graduated into this in a way very few others do anymore.

He is one of the most well regarded writer / directors of his generation, praised endlessly by his peers. More and more with each film he releases.
I don't think actually think Rian is a bad director. But he needed a co-writer on TLJ, badly. It's like they decided to spend 200 million shooting his first draft, when some hard work and tough love in the writers room could have produced a much better movie.

I don't think actually think Rian is a bad director. But he needed a co-writer on TLJ, badly. It's like they decided to spend 200 million shooting his first draft, when some hard work and tough love in the writers room could have produced a much better movie.

Yeah, it's really frustrating.

When I come out of a 'big' Hollywood movie I'm usually wishing I could have given the studio their ticket money 3 months early, in exchange for giving the writers another 3 months to finish the stupid thing before they started shooting it.

Also, Scott is so out of touch it's beginning to border on senility. Rian's films have gradually increased in budget in an incredibly traditional fashion. BRICK was firmly micro-budget, BROTHERS BLOOM was low budget, and LOOPER was a rare mid-budget sci-fi, as was intended. He graduated into this in a way very few others do anymore.

I find all of that very hard to take seriously, just my opinion and I doubt very much that Ruin Johnson will be writing or directing any films in to his fifties, let alone his eighties.

George Lucas was an indie filmmaker.
Irving Kershner's biggest film prior to 1980 was the Eyes of Laura Mars; he had a film here and there but did a lot of TV.
Prior to 1983, Richard Marquand did Eye of the Needle, a scattering of films and some TV.
Rian Johnson, prior to 2017, did a two notable films: Looper and Brothers Bloom, a handful of smaller films and TV's Breaking Bad.

Johnson seems to have a lot in common with Star Wars directors of the past.

While I'm not too keen on the idea of Star Wars without the Skywalker family, I look forward to seeing what Johnson continues to add to my beloved series.

Last edited:
I'm caught in a weird place for this trilogy. On one hand I've really enjoyed Rian Johnson's previous movies. I was excited when it was announced as the director of TLJ. That was well documented on RPF. I've also enjoyed the majority of the content Disney has put out with SW. The exception being some of the Rebels stuff (but that came from Dave FIloni, so I can't even pin that on Disney, since he is part of the old guard.) BUT on the other hand I really DISLIKED TLJ- not hated, but really didn't enjoy it beyond some of the cinematic elements and the performance given by Daisy Ridley and Adam Driver. Also, my opinion is continually slipping in relation to Rian Johnson. He has not acknowledged the faults of the movie. If anything he has just doubled down on what he was doing. At least JJ acknowledged the hug between Leia and Chewie and the R2 plot contrivance in TFA.

I really don't know what to expect from the RJ trilogy. A part of me wants to hold on to hope while looking back at his films previous to TLJ, but it is hard to ignore what a mess he's made within my beloved SW universe.

I've seen what appears to be this mentality crop up more and more lately. The content producers seem to think they are talented enough that their early drafts are gold and take pride in bragging how little time it took them. The latest Bond theme by Sam Smith is a good example of this. They wrote it in half an hour and used what was to be the demo as the final version.

I'm caught in a weird place for this trilogy. On one hand I've really enjoyed Rian Johnson's previous movies. I was excited when it was announced as the director of TLJ. That was well documented on RPF. I've also enjoyed the majority of the content Disney has put out with SW. The exception being some of the Rebels stuff (but that came from Dave FIloni, so I can't even pin that on Disney, since he is part of the old guard.) BUT on the other hand I really DISLIKED TLJ- not hated, but really didn't enjoy it beyond some of the cinematic elements and the performance given by Daisy Ridley and Adam Driver. Also, my opinion is continually slipping in relation to Rian Johnson. He has not acknowledged the faults of the movie. If anything he has just doubled down on what he was doing. At least JJ acknowledged the hug between Leia and Chewie and the R2 plot contrivance in TFA.

I really don't know what to expect from the RJ trilogy. A part of me wants to hold on to hope while looking back at his films previous to TLJ, but it is hard to ignore what a mess he's made within my beloved SW universe.

So, I think that the differences between people's criticisms of Rian's film and criticisms of JJ's film are why he isn't "acknowledging" his mistakes. You're right that he doesn't think they're mistakes, but that's because the "mistakes" people are claiming he made are mostly focused around the characterization of Luke, the nature of the Force, the fact that he didn't answer the mysteries JJ raised, and the ultimate open-ended "What the hell comes next?!" position in which we're left at the end of Ep. VIII.

The criticisms of JJ's film that you're point to are (if memory serves) "How come Chewie didn't hug Leia?!" "Yeah, sorry, we just totally botched that." and "Why did R2 only wake up at THAT point? Isn't that just a little too convenient?" "Yeah, it was, but...eh, we had limited time. I'd do it differently if I could do it again."

Those are minor nitpicks. They aren't criticisms of the fundamental arc of the story. The criticisms of Rian's film are more about core story decisions and the general arc of the tale. It's not like "Why'd you introduce fuel into the story, when fuel has never been an issue in any Star Wars film before? That was kinda weird." Instead, it's more like "OMG WHY DID YOU RUIN LUKE SKYWALKER AND EVERYTHING GOOD ABOUT STAR WARS?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!" to which I think the only response is

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

"Sorry you don't like it."

I've seen what appears to be this mentality crop up more and more lately. The content producers seem to think they are talented enough that their early drafts are gold and take pride in bragging how little time it took them. The latest Bond theme by Sam Smith is a good example of this. They wrote it in half an hour and used what was to be the demo as the final version.

Sam Smith? Are you sure it wasn't actually written by Tom Petty? ;)

But what about some of the grander issues. Some of which are flat out plot holes in a the same sense that Chewie and the R2 bit were plot holes.

What about Ackbar being throw into space without any sort of acknowledgement, why the First Order didn't blow away Finn and Rose after they tried to take out their cannon, or the much larger issue of Holdo not telling Poe what her plan was? I still take huge issue with the Holdo and Poe bit. The Holdo/ Poe thing is as much of a plot contrivance as the R2 bit in TFA. It literally defines a good chunk of the movie, and because it is such a poor device it really detracts from the movie as a whole.

But what about some of the grander issues. Some of which are flat out plot holes in a the same sense that Chewie and the R2 bit were plot holes.

What about Ackbar being throw into space without any sort of acknowledgement, why the First Order didn't blow away Finn and Rose after they tried to take out their cannon, or the much larger issue of Holdo not telling Poe what her plan was? I still take huge issue with the Holdo and Poe bit. The Holdo/ Poe thing is as much of a plot contrivance as the R2 bit in TFA. It literally defines a good chunk of the movie, and because it is such a poor device it really detracts from the movie as a whole.

With all do respect to the deceased Admiral but I don’t think his demise required anything more then a mention, I don’t take a lot of umbrage at that. He’s a fine background character. It seemed that Finn and Rose crashed off to the side and I doubt two crashed speeders were of great concern. The Poe/Holdo dynamic seemed to be predicated on Hodo being aware of Poe’s conflict with Leia. Also since Leia and Holdo are old friends, Holdo was probably coached up about Poe and this was how she decided to manage his impulsiveness. Just some thoughts. :)

With all do respect to the deceased Admiral but I don’t think his demise required anything more then a mention, I don’t take a lot of umbrage at that. He’s a fine background character. It seemed that Finn and Rose crashed off to the side and I doubt two crashed speeders were of great concern. The Poe/Holdo dynamic seemed to be predicated on Hodo being aware of Poe’s conflict with Leia. Also since Leia and Holdo are old friends, Holdo was probably coached up about Poe and this was how she decided to manage his impulsiveness. Just some thoughts. :)

Ackbar is whatever. Fine.

The other two don't hold up though. Poe wasn't even shown to be some impulsive pilot in TFA. He was a hotshot pilot dedicated to the cause, with a great respect for his general. You don't get to put in some poorly executed opening scene and then label Poe as some rogue egomaniac just because of that. That is called horse**** character development.

- - - Updated - - -

I came here to say that I'm relatively cautiously optimistic about RJ having a trilogy with his own rules to do what he'd like. Apparently, unless I completely worship TLJ I can't say that.

What about Ackbar being throw into space without any sort of acknowledgement...

I just don't get all the outrage over Ackbar's fate in TLJ. This is the same dude whose first instinct was to high-tail it when the second Death Star went live during the Battle of Endor. Luckily, Lando was able to talk him into hanging around and fighting it out. Hero of The Battle of Endor, indeed.

Sure, the whole "It's a trap!" thing has taken on a life of its own on the Internet but that doesn't change the fact that he didn't actually do a whole heck of a lot in Jedi.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back