Bandai 1/72 Millennium Falcon

On the 5ft ILM falcon model..it seems that they placed the two front landing boxes right over the maintenance pitts for the ESB & did not move them like others think...but i could be wrong????

On the 5ft ILM falcon model..it seems that they placed the two front landing boxes right over the maintenance pitts for the ESB & did not move them like others think...but i could be wrong????

Not sure what you're saying here.

The five foot Falcon built for Star Wars had large underside maintenance pits and no side front landing gear boxes. For the Empire Strikes Back ILM modified the underside by adding the extra landing gear boxes, which covered over half each maintenance pit. So two narrower pits were added beside the boxes.

Therefore the underside pits weren't moved as such. The replacement pits are of a different size, location, and shape, and have different internal details.

Is that what you're referring to?

From the photos I've seen and what others have said I believe that the landing pads did cover part of the original maintenance bays, but I believe more was opened up towards the outside of the saucer shape on each side then internal detail was added. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

From the photos I've seen and what others have said I believe that the landing pads did cover part of the original maintenance bays, but I believe more was opened up towards the outside of the saucer shape on each side then internal detail was added. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
There's some diagrams/illustrations of the old vs new bays and gear housings overlay ed somewhere on this site. Or so a Web photo search.

I figure it was more than a weekend job for Chewie to add these while Han was off chasing tail...

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

you mean this one...

undersaucer.jpg

The five foot Falcon built for Star Wars had large underside maintenance pits and no side front landing gear boxes. For the Empire Strikes Back ILM modified the underside by adding the extra landing gear boxes, which covered over half each maintenance pit. So two narrower pits were added beside the boxes.

Therefore the underside pits weren't moved as such. The replacement pits are of a different size, location, and shape, and have different internal details.

Yes that's what i was referring to thanks!..when shapeways make make some landing gear boxes i thought i could just glue right on top of the hull with on modifications

With NO modifications i meant

I just recieved my PG falcon,Today is a great day :)

Whats even more awesome is that i did NOT have to pay import duty as the value was marked down lower ($30)

So i paid a total of $609/£465 inc shipping (which was 3-5 days EMS)

I love this kit!!!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a question regarding the studio model of the 5 footer.

I've heard that it was primed in black. But I've also heard that it was built using black styrene.

But neither of those gel with the finished product. There are a ton of Dremel damage all over the hull of this beast. And each on of them reveals white underneath.

Even if it was built in white and the black based, those Dremel marks would reveal black edges around the mark (like my 1/144 falcon does. Sorry, this was the only pic on my phone. You may be able to see what I'm talking about if you zoom in)

Anyone have any thoughts/sources on this?
ae208bbd5faefecb5627bc41869efef7.jpg

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

@JoeCS , thanks for sharing those pics . Apologies for going slightly off topic , but , on the second shelf of the shelving unit in the background ( right - hand side ) of picture #2 , is that an early / disguarded model of a Star Destroyer ? Asking cause I’ve never come across one with so many engine / bells , or that command tower !?

@JoeCS , thanks for sharing those pics . Apologies for going slightly off topic , but , on the second shelf of the shelving unit in the background ( right - hand side ) of picture #2 , is that an early / disguarded model of a Star Destroyer ? Asking cause I’ve never come across one with so many engine / bells , or that command tower !?

Looks like it's the Colin Cantwell concept star destroyer model:

14851230804_861e91c1c0_b.jpg

So I've been doing a ton of research on the Millennium Falcon 5ft filming miniature because I just received my Bandai 1/72 Falcon. Archive-X has made a BEAUTIFUL line of paints replicating the Floquil Model Colors used on the model in 1976. Those are absolutely the way to go if you have the means.

However, their paints are a bit pricey for some. Others like myself, just don't want to use enamels. To that end, I have heavily researched paint equivalents based on Archive-X's recommended colors of reproducing A New Hope's Falcon with Vallejo Model Air. I have listed the color conversions below. Now, I don't know which panels which colors go on everything. But the ones I do know, I have made a note next to them. Hope you find this info useful.

EDIT: Disclaimer: These conversions are NOT exact to the 1975 Floquil colors. They are merely a close "ball park" approximation, but still better than just eyeballing a paint rack at a hobby shop. After weathering, you are going to change the hue/lightness anyway. Even if we all started with the 1975 colors, our Falcons would all look different anyway due to our own weathering techniques. If you want the absolutely EXACT color, you need the Archive-X paints.

ANH Falcon Colors

VMA = Vallejo Model Air, VGA = Vallejo Game Air

Floquil Grime - VMA White Grey 71.119 (Slightly off White Tannish Panels?)

Floquil Reefer White
- VMA White 71.001 (BASE COLOR)

Floquil Reefer Gray - VMA Cement Grey 71.045 (Majority of Dark Panels)

Floquil Concrete - VMA Concrete 71.131 (1 part) + VMA Aged White 71.132 (1 part)

Floquil Foundation - VGA 72.734 BoneWhite (needs to be lightened with white slightly)

Flowquil Reefer Yellow - VMA Gold Yellow 71.078 (Yellow Panels)

Floquil Boxcar Red - VMA Fire Red 71.084 (Red Panels)

Floquil Depot Buff - VMA Yellow Ochre 71.033 (3 parts) + VMA LIGHT BROWN 71.027 (2 parts)

Floquil SP Lettering Grey
- VMA Light Gull Gray 71.121 (note: base color of AT-AT studio model)

Floquil SP Lark L.T. Grey - VMA Gray Violet 71.128

Floquil SP Lark D.K. Grey - VMA Dark Sea Grey 71.048

So I've been doing a ton of research on the Millennium Falcon 5ft filming miniature because I just received my Bandai 1/72 Falcon. Archive-X has made a BEAUTIFUL line of paints replicating the Floquil Model Colors used on the model in 1976. Those are absolutely the way to go if you have the means.

However, their paints are a bit pricey for some. Others like myself, just don't want to use enamels. To that end, I have heavily researched paint equivalents based on Archive-X's recommended colors of reproducing A New Hope's Falcon with Vallejo Model Air. I have listed the color conversions below. Now, I don't know which panels which colors go on everything. But the ones I do know, I have made a note next to them. Hope you find this info useful.

ANH Falcon Colors

Floquil Reefer White

Floquil Concrete - VMA Concrete 71.131 (1 part) + VMA Aged White 71.132 (1 part)

Floquil Foundation - VGA 72.734 BoneWhite (needs to be lightened with white slightly)

Floquil Depot Buff - VMA Yellow Ochre 71.033 (3 parts) + VMA LIGHT BROWN 71.027 (2 parts)

Excellent!

Anyone have the equivalent for Tamiya acrylic jar paints?

I do use White and Deck Tan at about a 4:1 ratio to achieve the base color. The greys, reds and yellows are more difficult and probably require some tricky mixing.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

ANH Falcon Colors

Floquil Reefer White

....sorry to repost this here,....( I posted this reminder on the 'New Star Wars Paints' thread)

it's worth noting that there is a possibility that some of these conversion charts could be off,...Floquil / Testors changed the hues over the years,....this conversion chart wouldn't be matched to the vintage paint that ILM used back in the day,....the name on the product is the same, but the colours are dramatically different

Guy Cowan's Archive X (the name 'Archive' for a reason),....is matched to the 70's stuff

J

....sorry to repost this here,....( I posted this reminder on the 'New Star Wars Paints' thread)

it's worth noting that there is a possibility that some of these conversion charts could be off,...Floquil / Testors changed the hues over the years,....this conversion chart wouldn't be matched to the vintage paint that ILM used back in the day,....the name on the product is the same, but the colours are dramatically different

Guy Cowan's Archive X (the name 'Archive' for a reason),....is matched to the 70's stuff

J

I have amended my original post to note that.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back