Suicide Squad (Post-release)

In some media, they have a daughter named Lucy. In the comics I believe Duela Dent went by the name Joker's Daughter. I think that was her.

Maybe just a little nod to the Injustice video games?

I tried to watch this the other night on HBO. I think I got about half way through before I couldn't take it anymore.
I did the same thing when I was making dinner. By the time dinner was done I lost my appetite cause that movie was so bad. And it won an academy award for make up! I still cant believe it! KNB did the effects too. Insane.

I still don't get this admiration for Ledger. his performance was so boring and generic....i just don't get the magic.
this leto joker is just a 'de-evolution' of that performance...getting further and further away from what the actual joker has come to be known as, at least in the animated and live action media. still to this day, hamil, nicholson, and cesar are my defining interpretations. anything else is someone trying to put their own spin on it, and trying to fail miserably ;o).

Is this thing worth a rent if rifftrax ever gets around to it, or is it so gross and weird even rifftrax can't save it?

Okay, resurrecting this thread because I was "watching" it while getting ready for bed and something I never noticed caught my eye. A quick google search shows I wasn't alone, but I haven't found any explanation for it:

View attachment 722840

Note the onesies in the upper-right corner. WTF?! Why does the Joker have baby clothes among this arsenal?!

She possibly carried twins that didn't make it, or she really wants twins. Her "perfect world" fantasy included Joker and Harley with twin children: https://youtu.be/HOfZcmsyzz8

I started watching this last night, and within about 5 minutes, I could see that this film had some heavy, heavy "suit" involvement.

The opening just came across as trying WAY too hard. Each character gets their own individual 60s-70s rock song, loosely themed around their character. All of which came across to me as "People like these classic rock songs. Guardians of the Galaxy proved that. So, make sure to include some. I dunno. Maybe when we introduce the characters. Then we can check that box off and sell a great soundtrack album! Oh, and do some lame irreverent text scroll for each character, just to hammer home the point about how cool and in-on-the-joke we are."

The Joker comes across as...just...not right. Like, the whole portrayal is just wrong. I consider it Jason Todd, if only to make the character tolerable. The other characters...I dunno. It's like they just aren't letting them breathe. They're these one-note characters where they should be intriguing and interesting. But instead, Waller's run-down of the team just plays like "Here's everything you need to know about these people. Now we're gonna throw them into some action scenes and rake in the cash!

I think I'm about 20 min in. I'll finish it, eventually, but I'm really hoping it gets better.

I started watching this last night, and within about 5 minutes, I could see that this film had some heavy, heavy "suit" involvement.

The opening just came across as trying WAY too hard. Each character gets their own individual 60s-70s rock song, loosely themed around their character. All of which came across to me as "People like these classic rock songs. Guardians of the Galaxy proved that. So, make sure to include some. I dunno. Maybe when we introduce the characters. Then we can check that box off and sell a great soundtrack album! Oh, and do some lame irreverent text scroll for each character, just to hammer home the point about how cool and in-on-the-joke we are."

The Joker comes across as...just...not right. Like, the whole portrayal is just wrong. I consider it Jason Todd, if only to make the character tolerable. The other characters...I dunno. It's like they just aren't letting them breathe. They're these one-note characters where they should be intriguing and interesting. But instead, Waller's run-down of the team just plays like "Here's everything you need to know about these people. Now we're gonna throw them into some action scenes and rake in the cash!

I think I'm about 20 min in. I'll finish it, eventually, but I'm really hoping it gets better.

That is exactly why I felt doing Suicide Squad at this point in the DECU was premature. The movie and the characters would have been far better served by introducing characters in other films and then bringing them together later.

My feelings too. I didn't give SS a theater viewing because the project smelled wrong.

The 20-teens: the era when people paid $12.50 to watch $150m 2-hour trailers for other upcoming movies.

I have no use for this crap. If a movie's press/trailers give me the slightest whiff of a "never mind this movie, we're launching the franchise!" attitude, I'm staying home.

I might have given the new King Arthur flick a try if the movie's press had not mentioned their plans for half a dozen other spinoff projects. That was what put me over the edge against seeing it.

Last edited:
I'm watching this on HBO, I should clarify. I tend to stream stuff that I'm iffy about, or which is some big spectacle film that looks dumb.

I still haven't seen Batman vs. Superman, mostly because Man of Steel was so ******* boring and hard to get through. I only gave SS a chance because I dig the underlying concept, and I was hoping that it might be entertaining.

So far, 20 min in, it's decidedly "meh" and seems poorly directed. These are all capable actors giving weak performances.

I'm watching this on HBO, I should clarify. I tend to stream stuff that I'm iffy about, or which is some big spectacle film that looks dumb.

I still haven't seen Batman vs. Superman, mostly because Man of Steel was so ******* boring and hard to get through. I only gave SS a chance because I dig the underlying concept, and I was hoping that it might be entertaining.

So far, 20 min in, it's decidedly "meh" and seems poorly directed. These are all capable actors giving weak performances.
Wait until you get 45 minutes in. If you even get that far. BvS is also on HBO if you want to give it a whack. I recommend not, but hey. Some people enjoy pain. At least you wont have to pay money for it like I did. Stupid. Live and learn I guess.

but the witch doing the shimmy hippy shakes dance is sooooo worth it!! *eyeroll*

I haven't seen Suicide Squad yet because the previews turned me off but a friend is insisting that we watch it, so, I'm borrowing tomorrow. You are filling me with dread! LOL.
We finally watched Batman Vs Superman about a week ago. It was just as dark and boring as Man of Steel. We did like the Wonder Woman scenes though. Easily the best part if the movie.

My feelings too. I didn't give SS a theater viewing because the project smelled wrong.

The 20-teens: the era when people paid $12.50 to watch $150m 2-hour trailers for other upcoming movies.

I have no use for this crap. If a movie's press/trailers give me the slightest whiff of a "never mind this movie, we're launching the franchise!" attitude, I'm staying home.

I might have given the new King Arthur flick a try if the movie's press had not mentioned their plans for half a dozen other spinoff projects. That was what put me over the edge against seeing it.

That's part of the discussion in the studio thread...We're in the age of 'you have to have a universe'. Not sure what else you do around King Arthur, but, it's an unclaimed era at this point. This actually segue's into DC as they're forcing the same thing. Post Avengers, their head was quoted as saying 'we have to cash in on this now'. It's no longer good enough to simply make a flick - you have to have a universe...because, you know, it worked for Marvel, so it has to work for everyone I guess.

Solo4114 so far is hitting SS right on the head. I waited for HBO as well and had the same feeling. Never got invested in anyone there much at all and you pretty much saw everything coming.

Success is earned not owed. They seem to think they can just slap DC on something and people will gobble it up. Not so. WW looks to maybe being the first step in them 'getting it'. But at the same time, i see a lot of Captain America in it as well. Just WW1 instead of WW2.

They know it's awful. That's why they're insisting that I watch it. To see just how bad it is!

To be honest, it's not that bad, it's just not that good, if that makes any sense. To me it felt like it was a lot of wasted potential and that it had the potential to be a good movie but that potential was wasted.

I'm now an hour in, and yes, I'd say it's that bad. Well, that's not quite right, actually.

It's amazingly poorly constructed. Characters are introduced abruptly, and then poorly characterized. I'm guessing that there's a ton of footage that was shot for this, but left on the cutting room floor, because I recall stuff from trailers that hasn't appeared and now has no reason to appear. But you can see where they tried different characterizations for this or that character, different ways to introduce them, and then just chucked it all to meet a running time.

The music is awful.

The various rock songs seem like they were included based on a group of, like, 10 fat old white dudes sitting around a boardroom. That or 10 teenagers who just said "Yeah, that'd be cool. Put that song in, like, there" and then just shoved a song into a scene. This film has made me appreciate how Guardians of the Galaxy worked with its music so much more, because that film is lightyears better handled than this one. The music in Guardians -- both volumes, I should note -- is organic both to the scenes and to the characters. It fits the mood, it fits the characters, it fits the moment. It calls attention to itself, but it blends with what's happening on screen. The music in SS, by contrast, feels...forced. It doesn't fit with the scene and kind of shows up abruptly out of nowhere, usually with some recognizable riff from the song, and it doesn't seem to really apply to the characters or the sequence. It's more just like "insert cool song here." And yeah, the songs on their own are cool, but they just don't...fit....in the scene. Moreover, they distract from the action. It's jarring, really. Like trying to listen to two different conversations at once.

In a way, that also seems to apply to the editing, at least with respect to narrative. The sequences all fit a very basic overall plot, but the individual scenes themselves...I dunno. It feels like there's stuff missing in some sequences, but at the same time, it feels like the film doesn't have time to breathe and explore what it's trying to do. The last time I experienced something like this was with Age of Ultron, but at least there the scenes felt like they flowed together better, even if it still felt like the story and characters had no time to really breathe. Here, the scenes themselves feel...I dunno...jumbled almost. Or at least like you can see where something was probably cut.

I'm really only watching like 20-30 min at a time with the film, but it just feels so...off...that now I'm just watching it almost out of curiosity to see how and why it doesn't work. I've seen bad movies. I've seen LOTS of bad movies. Hell, I saw Battlefield Earth in a theater (granted, it was a dollar theater and I watched a matinee with nobody but my friends and I in it, so it was basically MST3K for us). I've seen awful, unentertaining, big budget movies before. I watched Man of Steel and the first Transformers film. So, I've seen really dumb, really poorly made, really expensive films. But this one is different. It just feels so cobbled together, so "designed by committee." It feels rushed and obligatory in its design, although some of that may be my own knowledge of how this film came into being.

And the really sad thing is that not only is the concept itself really cool, there actually seems to be a decent movie buried deep underneath the film we got that just can't manage to claw its way out. There's an opportunity to tell a really neat story, with interesting characters, played by entertaining actors, and with terrific production values, but the sum of all of these parts is just...I dunno. It's bizarre really. A weird mix of what seems like amateurish errors, and well meaning but misapplied creative decisions by talented people, all rolled into one spectacularly ineffective story.

The whole movie felt like 10 minute webisodes stitched together.

All the characters felt like they were playing in a different movie.

As much as I love the Rogues, I should never have to say Captain Boomerang was the best thing about your movie. He seemed to be the only one who knew exactly what tone the movie needed.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back