Dragoncon 2017

Well started building the backpack for my Star Wars armor. No pics yet. The form is pretty rough but the shape is coming together. So much to do and so little time. Hope I can get it competed. I know a lot of you are headed to Orlando this month so I expect to see lots of photos and this thread come back to life later in the month.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok so I might want to attend this year for a friends bachelor party. The website is awful for this kind of an event, at least compared to SDCC. Where the heck is it even held? What building?

From a seasoned vet, how would one go about going to dragon con for the first time? Its on labor day weekend, so thats a pretty awful mistake made by the organizers. Any tips?

Last edited:
Well it seems to work pretty well. The 70000 or so attendees would agree. In post 81 the reis a short video of DragonCon that gives lots of great info. The con is held at 5 hotels in downtown Atlanta and parts of the americasmart. Three of the hotels are connected and the other two are short walks. It is unlike any other con. The parties start Thursday night and run continuous through Monday. The panels are fantastic and the cosplay is stellar. It's truly one of a kind. Search youtube for more videos. The meet up is usually on the 10th floor of the Marriott. Spoon and nerd organize it and post on Facebook and here as the date gets closer.

Well it seems to work pretty well. The 70000 or so attendees would agree. In post 81 the reis a short video of DragonCon that gives lots of great info. The con is held at 5 hotels in downtown Atlanta and parts of the americasmart. Three of the hotels are connected and the other two are short walks. It is unlike any other con. The parties start Thursday night and run continuous through Monday. The panels are fantastic and the cosplay is stellar. It's truly one of a kind. Search youtube for more videos. The meet up is usually on the 10th floor of the Marriott. Spoon and nerd organize it and post on Facebook and here as the date gets closer.

Im just saying make the website more user friendly. For SDCC and Wondercon its plastered right on the front where they are. Thanks for letting me know its in different hotels. But man. Labor day weekend? Everything is already pricey, hotels and flights are expensive!

Yeah. It's not cheap. All the host hotels sold out in October. There are lots of hotel options. Nearby at decent rates. The hotels that host are set up for big conventions with hundreds of meeting rooms and large 1000 plus seat convention halls. I agree the website is a little tricky at first. Unfortunately there really are no cheap times to do a con in Atlanta. The convention halls all over town are always full. At least this way I don't have to take an extra vacation day. I hope you can make it. It's a really fun fun and laid back time. Just be ready to stand in line if you want to see a panel or get an autograph. There always a line at DragonCon

Ok so I might want to attend this year for a friends bachelor party. The website is awful for this kind of an event, at least compared to SDCC. Where the heck is it even held? What building?

From a seasoned vet, how would one go about going to dragon con for the first time? Its on labor day weekend, so thats a pretty awful mistake made by the organizers. Any tips?

I agree the site is certainly clunky. But since I love to help first timers, I'd recommend the DoubleTree downtown on Ted Tuner Drive:

http://www.dragoncon.org/?q=hotels_overflow#DoubletreeATL

I just checked today and they still have rooms available. I recommend that one because 1) my brother and other friends have stay there before 2) it's reasonably priced (my host Hilton room is roughly the same price) and 3) It's pretty close to the main sites to be an "off site" hotel. In fact, if you end up going to Westin or America's Mart a lot for events, the DoubleTree is actually closer to those two venues!

I assume they picked Labor Day weekend because they can milk a 4-day weekend. Sure Atlanta is busy enough with other things going on, but from what I've heard, there's no foreseeable plans to change the date or location.

As for tips, get the hotel secured first. Next, buy tickets now before they keep jumping in price every month or so. If you can afford to, come in Thursday so you can get a lay of the land. It's actually gotten pretty crowded, and people consider it day zero. The con itself has started added official programming to Thursday night.

I've been going for 10 years, and I recently joined their volunteer staff. Feel free to ask any specifics. I hope you have a BLAST your first year.

Ok something weird happened to my post, it didnt post, but I just wanted to say thank you so much for helping me out, with your kind words and recommendations. Especially since I have never been to atlanta before. Thanks again! :)

Ok, I'll try to give as much info as I can in a short amount.

Dragoncon has been going on for 30 years. Last year was the 30th aniversary. It originally started in 1 hotel, it has grown to be such a huge event it is now held at 5 hotels and at america's mart. The five hotels are Marriott, Hyatt, Hilton, Westin, and the Sheraton. Each hotel has different things going on in all of them. The panel line waits are that much shorter due to the fact at how quickly they clear out the rooms. Dragoncon was created by the fans for the fans. So at times it may not have super huge celebs like comiccon, but the people are unlike any other con. Most cons you go to you might talk to someone here or there. When you talk to people at Dragoncon there more like family, it's hard to explain. I attended my first DC 2013, after that I was hooked. This year will be my 5th year in a row attending. I first attended just because I saw one video and I was like I have to go to this. Also the major difference with DC is that it' Starts on Friday (a lot of us get there wed & thurs) (now there starting things on Thurs) and it doesn't really shut down till Monday at 5pm. The reason it never really shuts down is due to being held in the hotels, so they don't need to clear convention halls and such. With that said, this is also the reason a lot (most) of the people at DC are drinking (alcohol). Also DC is more of an adult event, most ages you see are 21-70. Yes you do see younger people mostly Sat due to the Parade. They have a parade, it's the largest in Atlanta, and 2nd largest in GA. The list goes on and on. Some of my closest friends I have meet at Dragoncon. I'm going to post the video that started me going as well as the best advise for attending Dragoncon for the first time. If you have any other questions, feel free to ask, were all here to help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, I'll try to give as much info as I can in a short amount.

Dragoncon has been going on for 30 years. Last year was the 30th aniversary. It originally started in 1 hotel, it has grown to be such a huge event it is now held at 5 hotels and at america's mart. The five hotels are Marriott, Hyatt, Hilton, Westin, and the Sheraton. Each hotel has different things going on in all of them. The panel line waits are that much shorter due to the fact at how quickly they clear out the rooms. Dragoncon was created by the fans for the fans. So at times it may not have super huge celebs like comiccon, but the people are unlike any other con. Most cons you go to you might talk to someone here or there. When you talk to people at Dragoncon there more like family, it's hard to explain. I attended my first DC 2013, after that I was hooked. This year will be my 5th year in a row attending. I first attended just because I saw one video and I was like I have to go to this. Also the major difference with DC is that it' Starts on Friday (a lot of us get there wed & thurs) (now there starting things on Thurs) and it doesn't really shut down till Monday at 5pm. The reason it never really shuts down is due to being held in the hotels, so they don't need to clear convention halls and such. With that said, this is also the reason a lot (most) of the people at DC are drinking (alcohol). Also DC is more of an adult event, most ages you see are 21-70. Yes you do see younger people mostly Sat due to the Parade. They have a parade, it's the largest in Atlanta, and 2nd largest in GA. The list goes on and on. Some of my closest friends I have meet at Dragoncon. I'm going to post the video that started me going as well as the best advise for attending Dragoncon for the first time. If you have any other questions, feel free to ask, were all here to help.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbC4XG-L1sE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ro1S2nhQLf4&t=587s
Well, as to no surprise to anyone, the cosplay is the reason why we are trying to go, and man. That video was inspiring. It really looks like a lot of fun. And I didnt know what you mentioned about the age group, and that people can drink etc. That sounds like SO MUCH FUN. Man. I hope we go. Adding it up though, it might be super expensive, but also, super worth it. If I come across any more questions, Ill be sure to ask, thank you for offering to answer them for me.

Well, as to no surprise to anyone, the cosplay is the reason why we are trying to go, and man. That video was inspiring. It really looks like a lot of fun. And I didnt know what you mentioned about the age group, and that people can drink etc. That sounds like SO MUCH FUN. Man. I hope we go. Adding it up though, it might be super expensive, but also, super worth it. If I come across any more questions, Ill be sure to ask, thank you for offering to answer them for me.

I'm glad I was able to help you out, fill free to ask any questions at any time, we are all here to help. Dragoncon is like the Disney world for cons...And you said the cosplay is the main reason you want to go to Dragoncon. Well at DC the cosplayers are more the celebs then the celebs half the time, you'll run into them every where and any where. I've been in a elevator with Lou Ferrigno or at the bar with Joey Fatone. It's a blast. We hope you are able to attend, and let us know if you care to attend our little member meet and greet as well.

Be Excellent to each other & Party On Dude!
20160901_234057.jpg

I agree with MatrixSpoon. There's not another con like DC. I saw NYCC last year, have been to a few Wizard Worlds, MegaCon, the smaller 2 in Georgia (Momo and AWA). NONE of them hold a candle to DC when it comes to the fun atmosphere. And the BeatDownBoogie videos perfectly capture that vibe! It's truly a 4-5 day long party that goes on 24 hours each day. Want to go to a rave at 3:00am? It's there. Would you rather play board games, or go to their newly added 24 hour arcade? Do it. There's going to be some people out around the main hallways and lobbies at any hour. And I say this as someone who doesn't even drink much or party hard-- but there's fun to be had at every corner. The panel schedules are packed too, if that's what you prefer. You can have about 30 different ones going on each hour since the con covers so many different fandoms-- from classic sci-fi to costuming to anime to fantasy literature to robotics.

I really hope you can make it, Snikt. I have a feel you'll be looked like the rest of us. I know it sounds nutty, but discovering DC back in 2008 has totally taken my life on a different path. Half my friends are made through my years at the con; my fiancee and I met there. Heck, I'm posting on here because of it! :D

Reminder we are having a meet up, if your name is not on this list, and you plan on attending the meet let us know that you are going to be attending...

Simply say: "I'm attending the meetup".

If things change and your unable to attend just send me a message to let me know to remove your name off the attending list...thanks...

Attendees:
HelenaInvictus - Avatar
Inquisitor Pergrinus - Avatar

JamesBryan - Avatar
max headroom - Avatar

Parkersandquinn - Avatar
Vader1 - Avatar

Holy smokes. I'm starting the line for his panel tonight. That one will be very popular. He has never made to dcon before if I remember correctly. His shooting schedule was always in conflict.

Hey everyone.

Just saying hello, I know I've been a stranger on this thread but now that SW Celebration is over I can get back to work on stuff for D'Con 2017.

Hope everyone is well.

So, My son and I were fortunate enough to attend Star Wars Celebration Orlando 2017. We had a blast and meet some really awesome people, on top of that we were able to see some of my Dragoncon friends, from different parts of the US. I was so happy that my son could finally meet the people I speak so highly of. With all that said, I would like to share a build. It's not super detailed, but to me this was the best cosplay / costume that I saw at celebration Orlando it was Absolutely amazing. I would love to make something like this. This was made by the same people that made the bag lady from The Labyrinth. They had their cosplay at Megacon & Dragoncon last year, I'm also going to include that build as well.

17972225_10154492244735983_5456802337491983684_o.jpg

Here is their Star Wars build, hope you enjoy seeing it as much I did:
http://www.epbot.com/2017/04/its-time-come-see-our-new-star-wars.html#more

Here is their Bag Lady Labyrinth build:
http://www.epbot.com/2016/05/new-super-secret-project-reveal.html

Last edited:
I made a hotel reservation today. I don't know yet if I'm going to be on time for the meet & greet on Thursday - it depends on my flight & work schedule and it's too early to say how that will turn out. I booked a two room suite with two double beds at the Embassy Suites (Thursday - Monday). I have started working on a new costume - probably bringing two costumes this time.

Reminder we are having a meet up, if your name is not on this list, and you plan on attending the meet let us know that you are going to be attending...

Simply say: "I'm attending the meetup".

If things change and your unable to attend just send me a message to let me know to remove your name off the attending list...thanks...

Attendees:
HelenaInvictus - Avatar
Inquisitor Pergrinus - Avatar

JamesBryan - Avatar
max headroom - Avatar

Parkersandquinn - Avatar
Vader1 - Avatar

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back