Rey - Star Wars: The Force Awakens Build (open for everyone!)

Yeah, I was just excited to start the shirt and forgot to dye the fabric first, lol.

Congratulations on being done! I'm looking forward to the day when I can say that!

So, it seems like my staff sling is way too long. When you guys spliced your two straps together, did you keep them the same lengths, or did you shorten one or both of them? Whereabouts should the splice be?

I kept one the full length, and cut the other in half. I spliced one half to the entire one, and as Kristen suggested I'm going to use the other half to fasten the waterbottle to the backpack. The length of my staff sling is great, since I can shorten or lengthen it as needed without it getting too long.

I can't believe I forgot to post this! I still was not completely happy with this, but after 5 months my work paid off. This was my Halloween costume. I looked at information from this thread, as well as tons of other websites. Lol. I'd like to go to a con with this in the future:)

14947758_1198425270252149_603226213954173305_n.jpg

Fortunately a friend gave me her bandages, since she's not working on the costume yet, and I ordered more from the link Goldhawk supplied - thank you!!

Weathering round 2 went better. I used watered down acrylics and very light sprays of spray paint. Mostly taupe, but a little dark brown and dark grey as well.

http://i.imgur.com/E5PcyHCl.jpg

Oh, and here's a photo of the full ensemble, prior to weathering:

http://i.imgur.com/I4eSUW9l.jpg

Aaaand just the shirt:

http://i.imgur.com/vcD9gNgl.jpg

At this point, everything is basically done, minus sewing the arm wraps to compression sleeves and finishing the staff (which is currently primed and ready for paint). At some point I'll make the backpack but I'm not really worried about it right now. My goal is to have this completed (or as much as possible) by Sunday, as I'm going on vacation for a week and a half, and then have a Christmas parade immediately following that on the 3rd!
Galacticat, How did you make the sleeves on your headwrap? I'm about to start it, and if there are any good tips, I would be much appreciative :) First time making long sleeves for me!

Last edited by a moderator:
Since they don't need to fit your arms exactly, you needn't take lots of care with them.

When i'd made mine I used two pieces of the fabric which were each approx. 16" wide and about 3 feet long. I made a sleeve of each by folding each in half longways and stitching up the side. then turn right side out and stitch one end to your arm opening on each side. I tapered the "wrist openings" slightly, just to make them narrower on the ends.

These sleeves should be LONG. They should extend well past the tips of your fingers if you were to put it on. Mine extended about a foot past my fingers. this gives enough excess to wrap properly.

I dunno if you've stitched your headwrap together yet, but if not I've found it easiest to stitch in this order:

1. Stitch the shoulder seams first.

2. Lie flat, (spread out, like a mirror image of itself) wrong side up and locate the top center of your shoulders. mark with pin.

3. Take your sleeves (unstitched at this point) and align the center of each to the pins you placed in step 2, also wrong sides up.

4. Stitch sleeve ends to the body of the headwrap.

5. Now fold the body in half so that the front lies on top of the back and the sleeves are now folded in half as well so that the "front" of the sleeves lies on top of the back. Make certain that the wrong sides are out, and that any raw seams can be seen on the outside. Begin at one "wrist opening", and stitch up the inseam of the sleeve, then down the side seam of the body till you reach the lower hem. Repeat for the other side.

6. Turn the collar hem out about 5/8" and stitch, to form a casing into which you will then insert a length of narrow elastic, snaking it with a safety pin, and securing with a stitch where it crosses each shoulder seam. Be sure to pull the elastic a bit taught, and gather the collar casing a bit before securing with a stitch.

7. turn entire thing right side out. The bottom hem should be left raw and be allowed to become ragged. Same with the wrist openings. the only finished hem is the collar line.

How did you make the sleeves on your headwrap? I'm about to start it, and if there are any good tips, I would be much appreciative :)

cut them out so the selvage edge of the fabric is your (wrist) end of the sleeves.

Bring in the upper part around the neck to eliminate some bulk in that area.

Leave the bottom long, then after it's together put it on and trim it to size, so it comes out just right.

Should look like this when done...sleeves were actually cut the same length, just one is stretched out in this pic.
rey-costume-head-wrap.jpg

Progress! I cemented the bracer together, so as soon as it cures I can cut the slots in it, and cross one completely finished piece off of my list! I also got the 3" strap for the belt cut, and finished cutting all the pieces for my backpack. All that needs is some thread and I can start sewing!
Shirt and headwrap should both be finished soon as well.

Hey all! I'm upgrading my Rey and want to switch out my crinkle cotton tabard wraps for some crinkle viscose ones, however I'm seeing the recommended eBay seller no longer has that fabric for sale. Any other recent Rey-makers have a lead on another source for crinkle viscose? Thanks!

Well, rather like some others here I realized that you have to have really thin leather if you want to glue two pieces together and have them fit. Not to mention my original pattern was too small to fit over my armwraps anyway. So I redid it with the hidden seam method, which after looking at my references I think was what they did inot the movie any way. I'm planning on darkening and weathering it quite a bit more, but I'm very pleased with it overall.

20161204_212802.jpg 20161204_212806.jpg 20161204_212812.jpg 20161204_212815.jpg 20161204_212823.jpg 20161204_212818.jpg

Hey all! I'm upgrading my Rey and want to switch out my crinkle cotton tabard wraps for some crinkle viscose ones, however I'm seeing the recommended eBay seller no longer has that fabric for sale. Any other recent Rey-makers have a lead on another source for crinkle viscose? Thanks!

Personally, I would wait a little bit and see if it was relisted. Usually shops will notify customers on their page if the product has been discontinued, and they don't seem to have done so in this case. The fabric is lovely, definitely worth it if you can get ahold of it.

This is where I got mine from http://www.ebay.com/itm/131829657205. Thanks to Galacticat for posting the link for the fabric in an earlier posting on the forum. I just received it in the mail last week, and I'm very happy with the look of it.

Wow, thanks! That's the same seller I thought was out of stock, either I wasn't searching through the eBay store correctly, (most likely) or more stock came in overnight. Either way, thanks MatrixSpoon and Goldhawk!

This is where I got mine from http://www.ebay.com/itm/131829657205. Thanks to Galacticat for posting the link for the fabric in an earlier posting on the forum. I just received it in the mail last week, and I'm very happy with the look of it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Finished my shirt tonight! Dying and weathering are all that's left on it!

Actually, I still need to run a zig-zag stich over the sleeve hem.

And I finally figured out the sides of the shirt: sewn inside out with a straight stitch, seam allowance pressed to the front and zig-zag stitch over.
Very happy about that!

Most immediate next project will probably be dying the bracer a little darker. I have the medium brown eco-flo gel from Tandy, and it looked good on my test pieces tonight. Probably get the bracer darkened in the next day or so, and then dye the shirt.

FINALLY debuted Rey last night! Only took me like a year to complete the costume... haha.

Overall I'm happy with it, though it's a hassle to wear and I need to make some adjustments. Eventually I'd like to make the backpack, and I also got a wig to try and style. One day I'll get around to putting together the Graflex, too. Fingers crossed it gets accepted into the RL!

Test run:
FuaAk3vl.jpg

All put together!
bapslqHl.jpg

UZxuwzFl.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back