Blade Runner 2049 (Post-release)

Got a BAFTA for VFX, well done, they deserved it.

And another for Cinematography!!!!! (VERY well done Roger Deakins, congrats)

Great to see they did the double again at the Oscars. I watched BR2049 this weekend and it really is one of the most bleakly beautiful pieces of sci fi I ever seen. At last Roger Deakins gets what he richly deserves.

Even though I'm very late to the party, so to speak, I just finished watching this movie. I missed the movie at the cinema (wife didn't wat to go) and now that I'm home alone with the flu, I thought I might as well crank up the sound-system and treat myself to this absolutely gorgeous movie.

Both Academy Awards are more than deserved.

Sent using Tapatalk.

Finally got a chance to watch this. But first I wanted to watch the original again, since it had been years. I had only ever seen the Directors Cut, but this time watched the Final Cut. Never saw the Theatrical cut, but I did go find some of the narration parts on youtube. Glad they cut those.
I'll say, like everyone else, when I first heard they were doing a sequel, I was hoping it could live up the first. I thought it did in a great way without just redoing the whole, go after a bunch of replicantsstory.
I do believe there are parts that could have been shortened or even cut altogether, but overall, I really loved it.

Last edited:
I think I'll take the Final Cut any day.

Yea, when I was finally able to look into what version was what, and saw that there was an ACTUAL directors cut that had finally been done, I snagged it, watched it, and was very pleased with it. most certainly my favorite version.

Yea, when I was finally able to look into what version was what, and saw that there was an ACTUAL directors cut that had finally been done, I snagged it, watched it, and was very pleased with it. most certainly my favorite version.

I wasn't sure of all the changes, as some are very subtle, comparing them together, I could see. I was surprised at how they filmed new stuff, like with Zhora's death scene. You could clearly see it was a stunt woman with a bad wig before, they fixed it in the Final Cut.

Anybody else love pretty much everything about this movie but the actual story?
I thought it was pretty good. I mean, I wouldn't have wanted just another story of a Blade Runner going after Replicants. And I liked how they kept it a detective type story. I wouldn't have thought it to be about a replicant having a baby, but that made it different than we all expected. Now yeah, there were plenty of scenes that could have been done without, or at least shortened. I was quite long, even Ridley Scott thought it was too long.

I actually like this movie the more I see it. It's competently made and, I don't know if it's exactly a movie anybody needed or was asking for, but it is a film made from a place of admiration of the original film and not from a place of corporate cynicism.

Though, I still don't care much for the overall design of the world, I think it looks too contemporary rather than following the idea of a future as seen from a older aesthetic (the "future" dressed in the looks of the 40's and 50's, what we now call "Retro-Noir"), and much too sparse. I agree with some of the previous posts about not being too thrilled with the story. It's not the overall story, I think it worked with the themes it was exploring (albeit, superficially), but that one element of Deckard being involved was pointless. I love Harrison Ford but a Replicant having a child would've still been a big deal without it needing to be Rachel and Deckard. That whole subplot of a resistance movement can also be scrapped; I think it's a really played out trope now.

Beyond some audio mixing issues I have, there's a lot I really love about the movie. I don't know about adding it to my collection but I do catch it whenever it's on television.

Last edited:
As much as I loved the sheer amount of details and "stuff" in the first BR, I really don't mind the "Brutal Architecture" feel of the second one;)

I don't either, I just wish it felt more "alive." Much of the architectural models in the film are practical, but all of them all so darkly or sparsely lit, it makes it look like there's nobody living in these large, dark, blobs. As much as the movie tried to establish scale with large, oppressive models and scenery, it all felt so empty and phony.

I don't either, I just wish it felt more "alive." Much of the architectural models in the film are practical, but all of them all so darkly or sparsely lit, it makes it look like there's nobody living in these large, dark, blobs. As much as the movie tried to establish scale with large, oppressive models and scenery, it all felt so empty and phony.
As I said in my original review soon after the movie came out I wish they showed more of the street life. The first scene between K and Mariette is the most "blade runner" that the film feels to me. The whole cyberpunk city aesthetic is what everyone wants to see in a Blade Runner film anyway.

I think that sequence is the only time you see a busy street. Otherwise, it's so empty.

If anyone watched the short with Bautista fighting in the street that tied into the movie (it's the one with Adam Savage in the background, and it's on Youtube), in that 10-15 minute short, it showed more life than all of 2049 did.

With the shorts that were released, including the one with Dave Bautista, they seemed to really be trying to establish that the world has become so toxic, the old street life was almost nonexistent. Pure speculation on my part, but the street scene could've been mostly replicants.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back