Help required re ; best practice using card/board

gedmac66

Sr Member
G'day gang , I'm currently building the Deagostini Millennium Falcon . Hoping to find some help / know - how on this Site.
I'm a relatively new member on this forum ( signed up last year ) , but I've been reading/following some truely incredible projects long before then .
Could someone with experience working with paper/card/cardboard please advise me on how to prepare said material/s prior to priming and painting them . I'm hoping to ' scratch ' some components ( 3D ) for the falcons hold area .
Would applying PVA glue ( very thinly ) after construction , help in providing strength and prevent deterioration ? .
Totally clueless ! . Any help / advice greatly appreciated .
Cheers , Ged .

Apply thin CA (super glue) so it soaks the paper and bob's your uncle, you have a composite material! Careful of the monomer fumes and work with smaller areas at a time - don't want to get too much heat from the setting reaction!

R. Robert

G'day rbeach84 and robn1 , thanks for your hints and tip guys .
I have been using styrene sheets , rods , tubing etc ... but for more ' interesting/complex ' shapes i thought I'd try paper/card . Especially after seeing some terrific projects utilising this relatively inexpensive product

Thanks again , Ged .

Last edited by a moderator:
Cardboard comes in many different finishes. Some are nice and with a smooth surface (almost no prep before painting/spraying), other have a rougher finish (more prep).
Good quality cardboard can be sanded (300 grit minimum) and you can spray loads of paint without it bending and warping (to avoid the warping, spray/paint both sides).

Two tips for the kitchen:
1) Always beat your boneless chicken before cooking to keep it tender,
and
2) Wet both sides of your wooden cutting board when washing to prevent warping.
See, not too far off topic... ;^P

Regards, Robert

rbeach84 LOL!!! , thanks mate ! . joberg , thank you for that piece of info re; different card grades and how - to with finishes /finishing . Didn't even consider that aspect of it . JediMichael ...WOW!!!... , thank you . I haven't seen this ( brilliant modellers ) thread before . Completely gob - smacked . Not even ( in my wildest dreams ) , would / could I even attempt anything NEAR his work . Won't stop me trying to though ! LOL !!!
Guess that's what's so nice about forums such as this . You get to see ( hopefully share ) , follow and find inspiration from people who kinda get ' why ' , this hobby is sooo addictive and ( at most times! ) enjoyable , ...In my case ' returned ' to after a long hiatus .

Cheers one and all , Ged :):thumbsup .

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, its quite mind blowing how he did that with PAPER. I could see in some close shots where there was tiny tears in the paper. But it still looks soooo good.
Best of luck to you and hope you figure out what works best for you.

There's a fellow in our local model club who makes master parts for a line of high fidelity 1/72 scale glider models (that get cast & kitted in Czech Republic) from heavy card. He uses a layering technique to laminate the shapes, the pieces of which are cut on a laser cutter per drawings he makes. These really are wonderful pieces that all start as paper card... so many ways to arrive at the destination, eh?

R/ Robert

Wow , tell me about it !!! . Just as confusing re ; how / what to attempt for things I think I can have a crack at , with / for the supplied model itself . So many options , so many different ideas ( inspirational ) , new and old , gleaned from this and other forums/ sources . Gotta bite the bullet , forge ahead and hope not to make too many stuff ups !

Cheers Ged :facepalm

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back