Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension “Movie Poster” Costume

Going back to the belt, I decided to sort out what I knew from the images, and I was able to find another photo that lines up the info I’ll explain here:
1AC809CA-7149-4499-8189-4882D344F10A.jpeg
Looking around Buckaroo’s waitstline, there is just a little bit of the buckle faintly visible. Judging from the images I already have, the buckle seems to be gold, but could just as easily be a silver brass reflecting the surroundings. Using the old image of the belt, I was able to get an rough ratio/shape for the buckle:
C04EB72A-4215-4D7B-9D2E-930C03400CE8.jpeg
The reason for drawing the line for the unseen edge is due to the leather inside the buckle ending (it’s possible that it’s just the suit cutting off the view, but who knows). If that’s is the case, I just need to find out the width of the belt. In the meantime, here’s a 1.5 incher that fits the bill:
47833D64-C23F-4CB1-917B-529D71070790.jpeg
It can be purchased here: https://www.etsy.com/listing/481184217/black-genuine-leather-belt-removable

Just to recap:

Identified:
shirt
tie (70%)
watch
belt
shoes

Unidentified:
suit
briefcase

At first glance, it seems like most of the work is already done. However, since the suit alone is so difficult, it’s quite the opposite. That’s not to mention the briefcase and a better tie.

Last edited:
I was looking back at that belt I posted earlier and noticed that it wasn’t much of a dress belt in the vein of a suit. So while going through my collection of refernce images, I found one to be interesting:
7CB774F8-1C85-4B23-98A3-2446E76B1D8F.jpeg
I can’t tell if the buckle is part of the regular belt or if it’s just his holster belt buckle, but from what I can tell, the buckle is silver and square with angular edges.

Found this promo shot - looks like no belt?

Attachments

• pw2.jpg
    pw2.jpg
    417.3 KB · Views: 297
  • peter-weller-the-adventures-of-buckaroo-banzai-across-the-8th-dimension-BPBX70.jpg
    peter-weller-the-adventures-of-buckaroo-banzai-across-the-8th-dimension-BPBX70.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 129
Here’s a suit:
2E8ED333-8ED9-4D97-A0F0-FC4818D648A7.jpeg
Apart from the beast pocket (which hangs ridiculously low on the original, even more so than Deckard’s), this one seems to check all the boxes. The notches even angle upward towards the top of the shoulder seams! As for most of the other details I’d say anything goes, since the pockets and buttons aren’t visible on the poster.

- - - Updated - - -

Found this promo shot - looks like no belt?
I don’t see a belt on this one. Very interesting! Then again, I don’t think wearing a belt with jeans has the style necessity as with the dress pants.

After searching far and wide for a tie more accurate than the one I posted, I’ve asked Indy Magnoli about whether he’s made the tie before. Apperently, he has not, so the search continues!
P.S. I may have some info on the briefcase soon (courtesy of Mr Webber).

Last edited:
Remember those badges I was talking about in my first post? They appear exactly like the photo, but may actually be way too small: they measure around 5/8 of an inch in diameter. Does anyone think that’s the size portrayed in the poster?
EBE7450A-B691-469D-9BCB-F5DEB84CDE76.jpeg

After using some proportions and suit jackets as reference, I’ve discovered the pins are the right size. In other news, I’m running out of finds to post in this thread. Just thought I’d let y’all know.

Thanks, guys!

I'm in the middle of trying to ID & piece together some costumes myself, so I know what it's like :D

Good luck!

Great work! I'm thinking about doing this costume for parzival from ready player one for an 80s dance! Following closely and will post any info I find if it's not already here.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back