Star Trek: Discovery (2017)

How are you watching Star Trek: Discovery?

• Signed up for CBS All Access before watching the premiere

Votes: 13 9.1%
  • Signed up for CBS All Access after watching the premiere

Votes: 13 9.1%
  • Not signing up, but will watch if it's available for free

Votes: 82 57.3%
  • On Netflix (Non-US viewer)

Votes: 35 24.5%

• Total voters
What - no one is freaking out about the new transporter set or the new phasers? You folks are going soft.

M

Is that what giant speakers are for? No wonder Marty got blown away when he tried to play guitar through one.

image18.jpeg

Last edited:
What - no one is freaking out about the new transporter set or the new phasers? You folks are going soft.

M

Officially freaking out! LOL But in the laughing way.
I mean that's so whacked looking. WTF? do they spin like the 60's Time Machine did?

Unrecognizable as a transporter. I would not know what that was unless told.
Again, nothing appears to "fit" Trek at all certainly not the timeline. It's another flipped finger to fans.
Now the main actress is griping about the diversity complaints.
I think the studio is trying to cover for a potential train wreck and setting up excuses.

That's gold duct tape on the transporter, isn't it? I have a roll right beside me and it looks identical.

I am actually more distracted by how haphazardly those black panels are stuck on the wall between the two platforms. I hope there is an in- universe explanation rather then it just being a case of " Union rules say we break for lunch in five minutes".

M

I'm just gonna leave this here...

http://i.imgur.com/AsiFzPH.png

That uniform is pretty fancy, and super busy. As others have said, it looks more like a dress uniform rather than an every day work uniform. You can also tell that whoever designed this uniform was never in the military or really took a look at military uniforms, because, if they had they wouldn't have made the rank insignia tiny little dots on the chest delta. On a small ship where you would quickly know who everybody is, that works, but anywhere else, how do you tell what rank somebody is unless you're right up close to them. I guess it's a good thing that they don't salute in Starfleet because I'd hate to be a Starfleet officer trying to decide if need to salute someone approaching me or not because I wouldn't be able to tell. It's almost as bad as Marine Corps enlisted chevrons worn on cammies, after a certain rank (around Master/1st Sgt.) it gets hard to tell what rank they because the chevrons are so small, all you can tell is that they're some senior Sgt. but what exact one it's hard to tell. What makes it even worse is that there are two ranks for E8 & above and the only way that you can tell whether you're talking to a First Sgt, or Master Sgt., or Sgt. Major or Master Gunnery Sgt. is by a symbol between the upper chevrons and the rockers beneath, try reading that on a little black badge that's maybe about 1.5" tall. That's what these rank insignia remind me of.

Aside from the phasers, which we really have not seen clearly yet, they seem to have made certain that nothing
at all fits in with ten years before TOS so far. So therefore it clearly is not.

Transporters are not going to look drastically different anymore than freekin ELEVATORS would look different to us ten years ago, oh it's an older
ship, sure right. And it looks slapped together to me anyways. Gold duct tape and what is that florescent light tubes behind those bars? Yeah it's probably only used in the 1st ep, but so was that awesome phaser cannon in The Cage or phaser rifle that didn't look slapped together. If it were an alien ship transporter that would make more sense.
Maybe I'm just in a bad mood this morning, no wait, yes I am in a bad mood this morning but I've just gotten triggered. LOL Yes I admit that my hope is dead for this so that is liberating, I should move on but contempt is growing at the heresy I continue to witness and I guess now I look to see how much they can insult my TOS intelligence and sensibilities. LOL Ten years before TOS? In the words of the great TRUE Captain Kirk.... "Go climb a tree."

OH please from TOS on they had crew in "conflict". Spock and McCoy were always battling each other intellectually. That "Utopia" thing is overblown, it wasn't all yes sir, that's great sir, we are the goodship lollypop. But yes Trek is supposed to show a more evolved human society, that doesn't mean boring. That is what makes it freekin Star Trek! Triggered, I'm triggered again! LOL

Last edited by a moderator:
OH please from TOS on they had crew in "conflict". Spock and McCoy were always battling each other intellectually. That "Utopia" thing is overblown, it wasn't all yes sir, that's great sir, we are the goodship lollypop. But yes Trek is supposed to show a more evolved human society, that doesn't mean boring. That is what makes it freekin Star Trek! Triggered, I'm triggered again! LOL

Maybe they'll be arguing in comments on Spacebook this time round?

They're taking Roddenberry's Box and burning it. Good for them!

No, it's not good. It's bad. It just makes Trek like everything else.
One of the oft quoted and upheld as why Trek is great, what made it special was... optimism.
We survived ourselves, we worked out our problems, granted after WWIII and lived up to our potential.
That here was this diverse crew, all working towards the same things, getting it done, taking big risks together out there for the betterment of all.
Not Utopia but a clearly leveled up humanity, we solved our big problems at home. We grew up. We are ready to explore and seek the next level.
That we have this vision of a better humanity a step above us to work for.
That isn't a box, it's an optimistic vision of human possibilities, a better future. One of those "roadmaps" of human purpose Sagan spoke of.
It's a defining characteristic of Trek. Again it doesn't mean the crew characters interacting is boring. If you ask me it's the writers are LAZY. It's easier for them to just use the usual.
Are writers "boxed" in when Sherlock Holmes uses the power of deduction instead of psychic powers to solve things? No, because it's a core defining quality that makes it what it is so that it is not something else.

Like one of my personal core defining qualities... TOS righteous indignation thumping on the stack of TOS DVDs annoying everyone. ;)

There are so many other things to pick from if you want that hard human on human conflict in space. Doesn't The Expanse scratch that itch?

Of course this could just be more studio hype, oh there is conflict, this isn't "utopia", come watch and see how edgy we are.

Last edited:
No, it's not good. It's bad. It just makes Trek like everything else.
Star Trek has had conflict between the crew members without external influences before. Even in the first season of TOS! This shouldn't come off as changing anything more so that it just gets rid of the annoying jargon where our characters brag about how enlightened they are. Gene tried to push this 'enlightened and no conflict' humanity during his reign of TNG and it was horrible. Instead of acting like enlightened people who have grown up as a species, they act more like an entitled group of arrogant know-it-alls who are more about lecturing new life they encounter rather than exploring and understanding it.

One of the oft quoted and upheld as why Trek is great, what made it special was... optimism.
Since when does 'Optimism' equate to a conflict free existence?

That isn't a box, it's an optimistic vision of human possibilities, a better future. One of those "roadmaps" of human purpose Sagan spoke of. It's a defining characteristic of Trek.
If this Box is so chock full of optimism and that it represents the defining characteristic of what Star Trek stands for, how come all of the writers of early TNG (Some of whom actually worked on TOS mind you) left the show by the end of it's second season? Perhaps your idea of an optimistic view of the future is less about a brighter future and more about having every human being conform to one person's 'idea' of what Humanity should be all about? Sounds like someone doesn't like the idea of people having different opinions.

I mean, imagine how much more interesting Star Trek Insurrection would have been if you had half of the crew conflicted about how they should handle the Baku situation. Some would feel that moving them away from their planet is wrong solely on principle, while others feel that advancing medical science could be a key component to helping end a bloody and costly war with the Dominion. After all, one of the best parts in all four TNG movies was Picard's conflict with his own crew in dealing with the Borg. The crew new the right way on how to defeat them, but he didn't. And what did it take to change his mind? A woman from the mid 21st century. An era that he frequently liked to call unenlightened and infantile.

Because what's one other part of Star Trek that they love to bash our heads with when it comes to our characters? That they're a family. Well, even families have arguments. In fact, that was one of the key storylines in the Voyager episode "Real Life" that demonstrated how being part of an all happy and no conflict family is simply not practical. And gosh darn you for making me quote Tom Paris!

"You created that program so you could experience what it's like to have a family. The good times and the bad. You can't have one without the other."​

And that's what they should aim for. Now if Discovery ups the conflict into Battlestar Galactica Reboot levels, than all bets are off. I love conflict, but even I was put off by that reboot series.

M
So the transporter on the NX-01 Class, in use more than 100 years before TOS, looked like a smaller version of the transporter on the Constitution Class, but this transporter that's allegedly only 10 years before TOS looks like the set for a low-budget game show? Failure.

Okay, so that's not exactly freaking out, but...happy now? :D

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back