The Great Wall (Xiang Yimou/Matt Damon)

Axlotl

Master Member
What.
The.
HECK.
Did I just watch?

Has Xiang Yimou joined George Lucas and Ridley Scott in cloud cuckoo land?

This has got to be the dumbest thing I've ever seen.
I feel dumber having watched it.
This would have been a GREAT kids movie... but it was too violent and gory for children...
Who exactly was the target demographic for this film? It's too stupid for adults, too violent for kids...
I hope Xiang Yimou's not genuinely going insane...

The costumes were pretty, though...

I'm the only dummy who saw this train-wreck? :lol

It was primarily funded by the Wanda group (Chinese) semi produced and aimed at the Chinese market. It was greenlit and filmed over there. Im guessing that most of the post work was done over there as well. Dont feel bad, It got 5 out of 10 stars in China as well.

I would watch it for free if nothing else was on TV.

I wasn't expecting Shakespeare.

I kinda was... it's Zhang Yimou. (just realized I've been spelling his name wrong)

Hero_poster.jpg

I'm the only dummy who saw this train-wreck? :lol
Waiting for it to be free on HBO or Netflix or Amzn Prime and there's NOTHING better to watch. I saw Doctor Strange was out on netflix, but Kubo And the Second String was more tempting. And Legend with Tom Hardy and Tom Hardy. Both excellent.

Netflix DVD came yesterday. Watched it with my 19yo son last night. We liked it but let me premise with; we were expecting to turn it off at some point. We just never turned it off.

Remember Scrooged? "Do you know how many cats and dogs watch tv? Can you have a detective show where he dangles a piece of string?" Imagine that some film company is thinking we need an Asian Lord of the Rings. Yes! With actual rings and female gymnasts. Oh, could you add some Power Ranger colors? And just do the starship trooper thing where if you get the one bug, you win. I think Matt's weird accent was like a secret code to his fans...like a POW blinking morse code

It is a movie with no audience, but don't NOT see it because it is such a mess. Just watch it with the right expectations. My sons and I are "boss level" screen talkers. (Not in the theater of course) Watching bad movies can be a lot of fun. Am I the only MST 3000 fan here?

There is a lot of beauty and cool **** in this film. It is like a plate of Mexican food where the side of guacamole is the most amazing thing you ever tasted but the rest of it is kind of icky. Get the meal for free on Netflix and just enjoy the amazing guacamole.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back