GHOSTBUSTERS Pre-Release - film discussion only, no social commentary please!

Im all about holding of judgement for a movie till after ive seen it but these trailers sure make that difficult...

"I don't know if it was a race thing, or woman thing... But I'm mad as hell."

Really strange how that somehow inadvertently... this quote completely defines how I feel about hollyweirds PC movement of forcing this "equality" stuff into EVERY new movie.

FFS Just make the best movie you can. Serve the franchise or create your own!!!!

Meh.

I loathe this modern PC way of everything!

Everyone should be treated equal! Period.

Not: hey, let's all treat the new male secretary as a sexual object! Because women have taken it for too long!!! (Yesterday Kim Kardashian posts a naked picture of HERSELF)

Janine wasn't treated like a piece of meat... The new guy? OBVIOUSLY is...

I can't even make a rational point I'm soo aggitated.

If you don't see what is soo obvious to soo many... I need to give up on even trying to make a point...

This trailer seriously made me die a little bit on the inside.

What a poopsmear on such a beloved franchise.

This could've been great! Even with all women! (That has very little to do with the core of this attempt at a cash grab by trying to be "more accessible" to a larger audience."

Instead? We get a turd sandwich with a ghostbuster logo...

:X

Last edited:
I wasn't sure what Thor's role was in this movie based on the first trailer. This one make it pretty obvious he is the final nail in this gender swap coffin of a movie.

I watched the original the other day and it definitely still holds up. The humor is very dry and subtle. It's more just the great casting and how they play off one another. Harold Rami was perfect in that movie.

Maybe my sense of humor is anchored to the time period I grew up in. Most mainstream movies these days have this same blunt, ham-fisted style of humor which is tired and in a lot of ways insulting to the audience... but there are a lot of dim people who gravitate toward it.

Sad...

Perhaps Feig isn't PC at all. He just likes surrounding himself with women, including sassy black chicks. That would would explain the whole casting Leslie Jones in a racist stereotype. He's just gender reversed the whole thing,including all the eighties sterotyping. It's meta, man! :lol

"I don't know if it was a race thing, or woman thing... But I'm mad as hell."

Really strange how that somehow inadvertently... this quote completely defines how I feel about hollyweirds PC movement of forcing this "equality" stuff into EVERY new movie.

FFS Just make the best movie you can. Serve the franchise or create your own!!!!

Meh.

I loathe this modern PC way of everything!

Everyone should be treated equal! Period.

Not: hey, let's all treat the new male secretary as a sexual object! Because women have taken it for too long!!! (Yesterday Kim Kardashian posts a naked picture of HERSELF)

Janine wasn't treated like a piece of meat... The new guy? OBVIOUSLY is...

I can't even make a rational point I'm soo aggitated.

If you don't see what is soo obvious to soo many... I need to give up on even trying to make a point...

This trailer seriously made me die a little bit on the inside.

What a poopsmear on such a beloved franchise.

This could've been great! Even with all women! (That has very little to do with the core of this attempt at a cash grab by trying to be "more accessible" to a larger audience."

Instead? We get a turd sandwich with a ghostbuster logo...

:X

I've seen folks who had high hopes for the movie lose hope after that trailer was released. They did some neat visuals but the ghosts look like they came out of the scooby doo movies. Leslie Jones is so unpleasant in real life that it puts me off seeing anything that she's in.

I think I've figured out my issue with the comedy in this.

It just looks really, really broad. Way too obvious, too in-your face for my tastes.

It's a lot like some of the more unfunny Mel Brooks films. Like, I hated Robin Hood, Men In Tights. Hated it. The humor was just...off. Timing was off, etc. This film has a similar vibe, especially that sequence with Leslie Jones on the floor saying she's mad as hell. It actually almost perfectly parallels a sequence in Men in Tights where Little John picks up Maid Marion's overweight lady in waiting, who, of course, makes both of them fall out of frame and onto the ground. And then, instead of just letting that be the joke (which has its own problems, of course), they cut down to them on the ground with Little John saying "You can get off me now," and the lady in waiting (obviously smitten with him), saying "Oh, no, it's quite comfortable" or somesuch. It just drags on, like, 4 beats too long and totally kills the humor. Cutting to her on the ground doing the "I don't know if it's a race thing or a lady thing..." really reminded me of that.

Yup, you´re right. The puking (who puked in GB, btw.), the door gag, the falling down, the boob ghost and the remark that follows.

Lifted this from NeilT´s Ghostcorps thread, it really summarizes what GB was made out of.

Namely heart and soul and characters.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well at least one good thing is happening because of this movie. Hi c is releasing ecto cooler for those of us to be able to relive our childhood days by being able to drink some ecto cooler and sharing it with our children now.

What I love about the whole "I don't know if it's a woman thing or a race thing.." thing is that the crowd lifted another one of the women on team Brand X. So basically "Patty" is saying the crowd is a bunch of racists.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back