SW ROTJ Thermal Detonator Project

OBI WAN KEN0B1

Sr Member
I Finally got my thermal detonator put together. This is a model i made then had 3D printed. i have sanded it down and fixed a few design flaws.(Sometime you just never know how something will go together until you see in it you hand :). Let me know what you think. I tried to make it as accurate as possible so if you see anything that off please let me know. I am on the look out for some help finding the red light that goes in the top and any electronic help i can get. I would also like to mold and cast it but i don't have the funds right now due to my Awesome ROTJ Blaster project.

Thanks for any input and all comments

Peace OBI 20140706_113330.jpg20140706_113320.jpg20140115_112152.jpg20140430_194212.jpgMy SW TD Project.png

I am planning on Chroming it somehow :) maybe just paint i am not shore yet. I still need to source the red led on the top and of coarse electronics.

Wow, this looks fantastic. What 3D program do you use?

If I may make a suggestion, the gaps between the 'panels' are too large.

thermad.jpg

So close i can taste it.
I finally cot the paint on it and decided i would add lights. Then when i was installing the lights i got my hot glue gun to close to the new paint and Wammo Now the top piece needs to be repainted. But o well. 20140808_210759.jpg20140808_210753.jpg20140808_210732.jpg20140808_210723.jpghere are a few pics. now i just need a good not humid day to paint again. :)

Done done done . Finished. Yay. Its always a nice feeling when you complete a project. It always amazes me that you can now draw something on your computer have it printed in 3d then hold it in your hand. It's just amazing that we live in a day and age that this is possible. well let me know what you think. I am going to make a version 2 that will be a little more screen accurate but I am happy with the way it turneduout. Plus this was my first time trying to weather anything and I think it turn out pretty well. Thanks for all of your comments and thank to the community for all of ypu tips and tricks. The rpf is the best.

Peace Obi.20140816_131231.jpg20140816_131204.jpg20140816_131145.jpg

Great job on this proof of concept... can't wait to see version 2.

So what chrome paint did you end up using for this? Also, did you make your own electronics or did you pick up a circuit from ebay etc?

Thanks!

Great job on this proof of concept... can't wait to see version 2.

So what chrome paint did you end up using for this? Also, did you make your own electronics or did you pick up a circuit from ebay etc?

Thanks!

Thanks for the complement. I used a krylon Chrome paint. It turned out pretty well but i was having problems getting tha perfect finish so i got some krylon 14k gold and weathered it so the flaws look like they are supost to be there lol. As for the electronics i wired in some light and hooked up a battery (no blinking or sound i am not qualified for that) but basic sauntering i can do. After putting the thing together i realized that when i hook up the 9volt battery there is not enough room to put the top on so i am going to order a smaller battery to go in it so it can at least light up :)

That turned out GREAT!

Next time I´d recommend to try avoiding these "paintbrush-like" marks and recreate more of the paint-chipping, that is found on the actual screenused item...just a way to make it POP even more ;) Anyway...well done sir

Markus

I recall one method some use for paint chipping effect is to spray the layer you want to show through, let it dry then sprinkle some mustard before spraying your top layer. Once that is dry, wipe off the mustard!

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back