Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker (Pre-release)

That’s something else that’s been bothering me . The OT and PT were made not only seemingly years apart ( definitely - where the OT is concerned ) , but the characters also seemed to age / grow between films . That , I think allowed for reasonable speculation as to where said characters were heading . Excuses could be made for certain off - screen developments .

These New films however , seem more like very expensive , well made ( production wise) T.V. episodes , with hardly any time passing from Ep VII to Ep VIII ... wondering if IX will continue this trend ? ... just my $0:02 .

Ged

Filming was done on the OT 3 years apart, Filming on 7 and 8 were 2 years or less. Plus, there was a singular choice made with 8 to pick up where 7 left off. It's not indicative of anything at this point.

If they started with the PT, people could toss out similar stuff about the OT saying 'what? only 2-3 years between 4-5? There was 10ish between 1 and 2, what's up with that??'

If 9 picks up with the falcon leaving Crait, then you've maybe got a point. Until then, not so much. This, though, is part of the problem with no defined storyline and letting people do WTF they want.

Filming was done on the OT 3 years apart, Filming on 7 and 8 were 2 years or less. Plus, there was a singular choice made with 8 to pick up where 7 left off. It's not indicative of anything at this point.

If they started with the PT, people could toss out similar stuff about the OT saying 'what? only 2-3 years between 4-5? There was 10ish between 1 and 2, what's up with that??'

If 9 picks up with the falcon leaving Crait, then you've maybe got a point. Until then, not so much. This, though, is part of the problem with no defined storyline and letting people do WTF they want.

They need to pick up at a later time as right now the Rebel fleet.....is a single ship filled with a bunch of borings.

I love these star wars threads.

"STAR WARS IS RUINED! IT DOESN'T MATCH THE STORIES I WROTE IN MY TRAPPER-KEEPER IN 4TH GRADE AT ALL!"

Complain that the new things aren't exactly like the old things. Then complain that the old things haven't been updated to be new.

"STAR WARS IS RUINED! IT DOESN'T MATCH THE STORIES I WROTE IN MY TRAPPER-KEEPER IN 4TH GRADE AT ALL!"

Complain that the new things aren't exactly like the old things. Then complain that the old things haven't been updated to be new.

ANH was a story told a hundred times before. But it was told well, edited well and captured the viewers imagination enough that people saw it 5-6 times.

I'm really tired of this argument. New and Different isn't enough. It also has to be GOOD. New and Different doesn't make it good all by themselves.

I`m not sure what Star Wars threads you are reading but if you check out the ones here you will find that the detractors main concern is that the new stuff is just pale and scuffed remakes of the old stuff that are not done half as well and bring nothing new to the table of any lasting worth at all.

I'm just appalled at bad writing more than anything else, whether it's Star Wars or any film.

If a series has certain established boundaries or rules, you can change some things but change them too much and your story doesn't fit right with what has already been established and it becomes something else entirely. It's such a fine line and honestly as vast as Star Wars seems I think telling stories in that universe is a LOT more limited than most people think.

I know Rian Johnson, like Dave Filoni, comes up with these elaborate explanations based on ancillary materials (books, cartoons, comics) to justify certain story elements and to me it just further illuminates how bad the scripts really are. Ancillary material is there to enhance what is IN the script in the first place. It should be secondary to the movie, not the other way around.

All the hate for the direction the series is going I think comes more from the fact that many of us feel like we are being told that if we don't like the new films that we are somehow not open to new ideas and that's simply not true. My personal distaste again comes from having a basic understanding of story structure and creative writing when it's clear that many scripts lack that knowledge. Rather than take the time and write several drafts to make the story stronger, they begin filming before they even finish writing and it most certainly shows. I'm no expert on the matter and neither are most audiences but even subconsciously people recognize when something is off in a movie.

Last edited:

The new things don't have to "be like" the old things, but they should respect the spirit. TLJ does not.

If one is going to suggest to let the past die (how effing ridiculous) at least put forth material sufficient enough to allow the past to fade away.

As far as trapper keeper stories are concerned, I'm confident that's where Johnson's story came from. No real fan would do what he did. In fact, I'd put money on the idea that he had little to do with script.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

That's part of the problem with these new films too. They are made by fans. So they are literally fan films. Just like Communism, sure in THEORY it sounds great, everybody is equal, but in REALITY it's far from that.

What is so apparent is a lack of vision for what this new trilogy is supposed to be. To have vision, we need a visionary. Not a business man, or woman. A visionary film maker who wants to tell a three act story because the trilogy structure is what was there from the beginning.

The Stand Alones: Fill in the blank movies.

The Prequels: The Rise and Fall of Anakin Skywalker (It may not have been successful all the time, but I think we can all agree that this vision was clear.)

The Originals: The Rise and Triumph of Luke Skywalker (and redemption of Anakin Skywalker)

The Sequels: ?? Not a clue. Kill the Legacy Characters off to make way for new characters we know next to nothing about and thus don't truly care about? To do what? Undo everything we'd seen our beloved heroes fight and risk their lives defending only to have it all turn to ****? What a downer that has been.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJ1oM_EdVpQ

Last edited:

You mean like how a lot of fans complain that TFA is a rip of ANH and TLJ a rip of ESB/ROTJ and wish they were way different?

You mean like how a lot of fans want the SE restored to the OOT?

Oh, wait...those things are the opposite........:rolleyes

@MrSouthpaw regarding your post #725 -

I don’t mind JJ , liking some of his previous work .
He’d laid down the ground work for this trilogy in VII , which then got ‘ **** kicked ‘ out of the sandbox ... just saying ... I don’t envy him right now .

Last edited:
@MrSouthpaw regarding your post #725 -

I don’t mind JJ , liking some of his previous work .
He’d laid down the ground work for this trilogy in VII , which then got ‘ **** kicked ‘ out of the sandbox ... just saying ... I don’t envy him right now .

I wouldn't shed a tear for JJ. He's a far more competent businessman than he is a writer. He's making millions from these SW movies.

Setup up a thousand questions, don't answer any of them. That's how JJ lays down groundwork. That's why most of what he does ends up an incoherent mess, like Lost. What's it about? You'll get a dozen answers from a dozen people.

Setup up a thousand questions, don't answer any of them. That's how JJ lays down groundwork. That's why most of what he does ends up an incoherent mess, like Lost. What's it about? You'll get a dozen answers from a dozen people.

Wait. Are you saying Poe and Finn actually died in the TIE crash and...?

Opening shot in IX .

Pretty sure this is actually true so I'll spoiler tag it for the faint hearted !

Obligatory Open shot of space the falcon slowly flying in to frame .

We close in on the ship, camera swoops through the front window down the corridor and into a steem filled room .

Out of a shower steps Bobby Ewing ......Er I mean ....

Luke Skywalker !

It was a dream !
It was all just a dream !

We find out Rey pissed of Chewy by thinking she was the new captian of the Falcon.
Chewbacca well he did not like that so he kind of "accidentally" ripped both her arms off !

She found out You really should let wookies win !!!!! especially ones you have only known for a few days !

Its all just been a fever dream Of Rey's while she healed in a Bacta tank !

Wait. Are you saying Poe and Finn actually died in the TIE crash and...?

Yes and no and maybe?.....:D

Poe actually did die originally. But he tested really well so they wrote him back in.

Lost being a disappointment had more to do with Damen Lindell than JJ. Just look at Prometheus.

JJ likes his "Mystery box" concept. He's totally into what Lindelof does setting up mysteries for later...even if they never get solved. Also, he's not above lazy conveniences like magic blood, transwarp beaming, or a protagonist that instantly can use any force power even if they never heard of or seen it before.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back