Painting plastic prop HELP PLEASE

BatmanALL

I've started a new project that I've never done before and looking for some help. I bought the Rubies DOJ grapple gun. Its plastic and as you can see, not the right colors. I sprayed it with Rustolum Flat Black. Great stuff for painting plastics. Goes on and looks smooth but actually has a semi-rough finish.

I want to use acrylics to paint the handle a wooden brown. I've watch a few videos on YouTube on how to do this. One guy just paints layer after layer after layer of multiple colors. Another guy does a layer THEN hits it with a clear coat. Then another color THEN clear coat. He does this several times before the final layer/color. My question is does that clear coat in between colors/layers really make a difference???

Any other painting suggestions welcome too! Thanks guys!

14203223_10106724208079920_4613460877164709539_n.jpg

You picked a good one to start on! I've painted up one of these last month actually.

To answer your question, it isn't really needed, but if you're newer it certainly wouldn't hurt. The thinking behind sealing each layer is so you don't reactivate the paint below, and so that if you don't like it it can be "cleaned" off without affecting the paint below.

If you wait the proper time between layers, just painting one color after another shouldn't be a problem.

When I painted a prototype, I just went layer after layer, and sealed at the end. Worked out pretty well, I think. Pardon the dust on the handle, should've wiped it off!
image.jpeg

The clear coat every time isn't necessary in my opinion. But definitely once it's done, or else the paint will rub off. I mod-ed a Han solo blaster, but didn't have any clear coat
and when the gun was used (slightly) the paint rubbed off the edges.

You picked a good one to start on! I've painted up one of these last month actually.

To answer your question, it isn't really needed, but if you're newer it certainly wouldn't hurt. The thinking behind sealing each layer is so you don't reactivate the paint below, and so that if you don't like it it can be "cleaned" off without affecting the paint below.

If you wait the proper time between layers, just painting one color after another shouldn't be a problem.

When I painted a prototype, I just went layer after layer, and sealed at the end. Worked out pretty well, I think. Pardon the dust on the handle, should've wiped it off!
View attachment 661426

Thank you, thank you, thank you so much! This is all new territory for me and I don't want to screw it up! Again, thanks!

link to said tutorial videos? i just picked one up and looking for help as well

Here is the one where the guy sprays the clear coat between coats. There are a few other videos but these guys make it all look soooo simple hahahahaha

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back