Tank Girl Prop Replicas: Danger Ball, Bottles

09/06/2013 DANGERBALL UPDATE!

No new images (the outside form won't change), but an update on the progress of the internal workings!

I've redesigned it a bit and now have a better mechanism in place.

-- The inside has hidden grooves that guide the bottom button and blades to help ensure they remain in the right positions.

-- The blades will be replaceable if they break without having to attempt to disassemble the sphere!

-- REVERSIBLE! I've found a setup that will allow the blades to be positioned one of two ways: either
___ A: You push the bottom button and the blades extend from the Dangerball (RECOMMENDED!) or
___ B: You attach a string inside the Dangerball and connect it to a ring or up your sleeve etc through the bottom of the ball. This way when you release tension to the string the blades spring out of the Dangerball. Yes- it truly becomes a DANGER to others in this mode, so be careful!

I'm sure some creative people will be able to figure out some method of using magnets or a small motor to do this later on!
Actually, it wouldn't be that hard: use two powerful neodymium magnets with one pole facing down and have another in a glove with the same pole facing up: when the Dangerball is put in their hand the magnets would repel each other with great force and the blades would push out quickly! And since the faces would have to match to cause this, it'd be less likely that the blades would extend if they were facing the hand instead (though not guaranteed.)
Doing this with a weak spring would allow both the manual blade extending method and an "automatic" one. :D

Greeeat, now that I had that idea I'll have to build my own like that! XD

Got my printer working again and did a test pring; it'll be made of several parts that have to be put together, but they'll be quite easy to assemble. This is a pic of one of the six sections.
9726986493_cacdb7ee30_c.jpg

I've had some printer problems since the last pic, and have made a few changes to it.
I've now got one printed and found a few flaws on it fitting together, so I've fixed them and am reprinting it now; I'll have more pics of it later with the blades moving!

I also need to decide if I want it so you can spring load it so the blades shoot out; as is you have to push a button on the bottom for the blades to extract and the spring makes it retract. It won't be a huge challenge to make it work both ways but I still am concerned about someone being hurt by it. (Am I being overly paranoid?)

IMG_20131221_180208.jpg

Welcome to the show thejennivision!

Got a little video of it. I didn't like how the parts fit together; there was too many points where it prevented a proper fit, so I changed it again and created a pin setup that now allows the sphere sides to connect without any conflict and keeps it from moving once it is. It works out perfectly.

The mechanics are set up so you can both push the blades out, or move the internal spring and drill a tiny hole, then connect a string or wire so you manually pull the blade in, giving it a spring loaded appearance when released.

Currently, as visible in the video, the spring I used is too short and too strong; I need to find a longer spring that requires less pressure to function right. (unless someone has a better idea.)

The inside part is made of two parts; I may change this and add a separate part- one set for the spring action and another for the "reverse" mode to see if it'll make the inside part wobble less and prevent the minor catch it has (Which might simply be because of how I built supports when printing it.)

Last edited by a moderator:
OK guys, so it seems I've only had springs on hand with 9 lbs pressure. XD
I've ordered two different low pressure springs and should get them this weekend to see which will work best. I will also be ordering red LED's to insert into the top to match the film.

I'll post an Interest thread in the Junk Yard and print an HD mold for them if I get enough interest; I'm satisfied with the smooth motion I'm getting from these when they slide and want a finished product to both put on my shelf and carry around!

Finished getting the internals functioning right!
The Danger Ball moves smoothly (though not as loud as it seems in the video) with no snags and the spring provides just the right amount of pressure!

I'm going to get some red LEDs for the top then paint this one up. If there's enough interest I'll pro print it and make them available!

Last edited by a moderator:
Any chance you'd be making more of these? I need one for my Tank Girl cosplay for sure!

Yes they are available (Sent a PM)

I forgot the new thread died when the website was moved!

TG Dangerball Example TAS Painted.jpg

Still haven't been able to get to the bottles; they're a different type of process for me. :)

Attachments

• TG Dangerball Example TAS.jpg
    TG Dangerball Example TAS.jpg
    631.5 KB · Views: 63
WELL, it's been a couple of year but I'm back!
(Sorry folks, health issues hit me hard every now and then!)

I've got the bottle design ready. I'll need to get a bigger 3D printer in order to do it, but I'll be making the bottles! (I either will build a new one or buy one, not sure yet.)

Ignore that extra part on top of the bottle. :p

Tank Girl waterbottle WIP 1.jpg

I've also decided to build a full Ripper outfit, starting with the helmet!
I'm making it so the mask can be lifted up like the end of the movie. I'm also in debates of making a silicone face appliance of the rippers to wear under it. :D

Tank Girl Ripper Helmet WIP 1.jpg

Printed the face shield, currently printing the rest of it.

I use a Makerbot Thing-O-Matic (last of the DIY kits they sold) and the program (ReplicatorG) stopped working. Now I have to use an older version of Makerbots new program (since it no longer supports the ToM) so everything I print now isn't as accurate as it used to be and I've got major cleanup to hide big gaps at the edges of each piece.
IMG_20161001_162109.jpg

Awesome. I'm glad to see someone else tackle the ripper helmet. Looks like you used the stunt mask for your file.

Looks like you used the stunt mask for your file.

There was a difference? o_O'
I used about every pic I could find. It seemed like every time I found a new image from a different angle I noticed something else I needed to change.
Still am, but a bit too late to make more changes. ;)

I'm also going to try making the full body suit to wear; it'll by my first complete costume! :D

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back