Freehanded Batman "Slim" Armored Suit WIP

Knight Falcon

Hey guys! Long time, no see. College has got me down and jam packed with studying so I don't have as much time as I used to for cosplay devotion. Anyway, this has been a long standing side project that is finally, but slowly, starting to look pretty awesome (in my opinion anyway). My main reasoning for this suit was to make an armored suit for Batman that looks more agile and flexible.

The original inspiration was how the New 52 suit is sort of divided by cool looking lines, so I started from there, turning the lines into where the armor was separated.
I didn't want to spend much money, so I am using a lycra jumpsuit that I had already used for a previous, and hastily put together, terrible Batsuit. (I just slapped on a bat symbol.)

I wanted the oval look, rather than the most common black only symbol. The bat will be detachable from the suit so that I can zip up the suit. That also breaks the zip line so that it looks better.

1385173_579409225429978_1971983149_n.jpg

Also I added foam armor pieces since then. and It looks WAY better.

1238333_579409265429974_1239993028_n.jpg
Sorry for my foot being in the picture... I hate that but I'm too lazy to crop.

1375226_579409352096632_1815507787_n.jpg
Multicolored foam packs were cheaper so it starts to look rainbowish.

ALSO note that I am using a mesh under the foam so that it has more dimension. If you look closely. And that was free as it's that window screen/mesh stuff that you use to keep weeds out of your garden. We just had it lying around at my great grandfathers house.

1385832_579409425429958_1670692109_n.jpg

One side is lightly plastidipped. I cover up the zipper so that It doesn't get screwed up.

1382270_579409432096624_1976371308_n.jpg
Now both sides are plastidipped lightly on the torso! I ran out of spray so I'm going to need to add at least another layer on the suit.

Yes I know that the plastidip on the fabric will make it more stiff and less flexible, and probably not as breathable, but it looks awesome. The tape mannequin is my size so it shouldn't be too far off.

I plan on finishing up the legs at some point soon and applying plastidip there as well. The Legs will be a somewhat Dark Knight pattern.

More to come soon.

Any comments, questions, or critiques? I love to hear back from you guys when I'm working on a project!

Thanks for your time! :)

Attachments

• IMG_2953.jpg
    IMG_2953.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 633
  • IMG_3011.jpg
    IMG_3011.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 419
  • IMG_3013.jpg
    IMG_3013.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 402
  • IMG_3020.jpg
    IMG_3020.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 511
Last edited:
Re: Freehanded Batman "Slim" Armored Suit by Knight Falcon

Alright a bit of an update.

I added the oblique armor for the..well...obliques.
IMG_3537.jpg

at first I wasn't too happy with the look but...

After a bit of plastidip
IMG_3598.jpg

IMG_3600.jpg

I'm liking it so far. Still need to add some leg armor and cloth for the more flexible areas.

-KF

Was it easy using the Plasti Dip and getting it on evenly? It makes quite a difference there.

knight falcon, what adhesive did you use to bind the foam to the undersuit? i need to attach foam armor to my undersuit and i dont want ny visable straps.
thanks.

also i was researching plisti dip over neoprene/ lycrs wetsuit and couldn't really find anything, if you plastidip over the wetsuit will it give it a rubberized look kinda like the look of the armor in your pics? would it all match? i need to make my undersuit look like rubber and not a neoprene wetsuit.

thanks.

Last edited:

Was it easy using the Plasti Dip and getting it on evenly? It makes quite a difference there.

I used the spray Plastidip, and as long as you use a spray paint type technique by using light coats, it does go on evenly. You just have to watch it, as plastidip is significantly thicker than spray paint, so it doesn't take too long for a light coat.

knight falcon, what adhesive did you use to bind the foam to the undersuit? i need to attach foam armor to my undersuit and i dont want ny visable straps.
thanks.

also i was researching plisti dip over neoprene/ lycrs wetsuit and couldn't really find anything, if you plastidip over the wetsuit will it give it a rubberized look kinda like the look of the armor in your pics? would it all match? i need to make my undersuit look like rubber and not a neoprene wetsuit.

thanks.

Im using primarily Elmers fabric glue. It stretches with the spandex material, although the drying time is at least an hour to stick (24 for a full dry). Also, if I am impatient I use a little bit of superglue:gel. It doesn't last as long as Elmer's, but it drys WAY faster. Many times I've combined both for a fast and long term effect.

I tried to research as well before I started, and found nothing, so this is my test-suit. So far it does make the fabric less flexible (that was expected) and it does give the suit slightly less of a fabric-like texture, which I like. Of course, I wouldn't cover up all of the fabric, as the plastidip makes it not breathable. I feel as if you sprayed enough to take away all of the fabric look, it would start to be really inflexible (as the more you build up, the less flexible it becomes.)
This is definitely a learning experience for me!

Thanks guys.

awesome man thank you so much, i'll try the elmers fabric glue! and i'll use the plasti dip sparingly, by the wat that armor on there looks good, couldn't even tell it was foam.

Real nice. Very simple method but it looks great so far. Looking forward to how this turns out. What type of cowl and gauntlets are you going to use? As this seems to be an original design you have alot of creative freedom.

Subbed :)

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Tapatalk

Real nice. Very simple method but it looks great so far. Looking forward to how this turns out. What type of cowl and gauntlets are you going to use? As this seems to be an original design you have alot of creative freedom.

Subbed :)

I appreciate that! :D

For the cowl, I'm planning on creating my own custom one, if I can raise the funds for the materials (car payments, gah). The same with gauntlets if I can figure out the technique. If not, I will purchase some from the Bat Texan (he does awesome work).
I'm always really determined to make 100% of the costume, but sometimes that can't be done so I have to swallow my pride.

This looks amazing man. I really like the look you've achieved, can't wait to see it finished!

I really like your idea and your suit looks great so far.
How thick is the foam you are using?

Thanks man! Right now the colored pieces look junky but that should be solved as soon as I plastidip it.

I really dig this. I started a 'think tank' thread on Brotherhood of the Bat about a 'real' Batsuit. Obviously, not a real suit but as in cosplay, the illusion of real. What started it for me were two things... the Arrow thread here on RPF and the Kevin Smith comments about Ben Affleck's new Batsuit.

The thing is, we've been brain washed since 1989 thinking that Batman has to either be in all rubber suit with little to no utility belt, or recently, covered in heavy bulky armor like in the Arkham series of video games. I mean, the gauntlets alone look huge and cumbersome. We grew up seeing him in a "skin tight" suit, supposedly developed by Wayne Tech, right? So why all the rubber? Why the huge amount of gear?

For me, the suit should look like yours does. Its thin, yet has a look of something high tech, right from Applied Science division. The gauntlets should be sturdy enough to take hits but not huge to a point where it would slow his punches down. The boots should be the same... protect but not be like 10 pound weights on each leg.

I really like your take on this. I can't wait to see it all complete.

I really dig this......

Awesome! Really cool take on the batsuit!!!

Thanks Guys!
BatmanALL, that's exactly my way of thinking! The goal isn't as much "realism" as much as imagination (of which some people lack occasionally). The whole Idea of batman/superheroes in general is a different world that we can escape to. I don't want logic to over-rule the fun filled center that is comics. Batman's gear is supposed to be extremely advanced, so that we shouldn't logically understand how it works.

Anyway, away from my rant. I appreciate all the kind words.

Really awesome work. I plan to use craft foam and plastidip to make a 1989 Batman suit. Mine is going to be on a manikin so it doesn't have to be very flexible. The information in your thread will be very helpful!!!

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back