Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Pre-release)

I call it like I see it and what I'm seeing is whining. Just a statement of fact as I see it. If you have a problem with it, then perhaps that has more to do with you. Don't know what else to tell you.

I call it like I see it and what I'm seeing is whining. Just a statement of fact as I see it. If you have a problem with it, then perhaps that has more to do with you. Don't know what else to tell you.

If you think people should just be okay with you calling them whiners. That makes you both immature and unreasonable. That actually has everything to do with yourself not being able to communicate in a mature fashion.

All I said was Luke should have acted like OWK, and you got triggered.

If you think people should just be okay with you calling them whiners. That makes you both immature and unreasonable. That actually has everything to do with yourself not being able to communicate in a mature fashion.

All I said was Luke should have acted like OWK, and you got triggered.

People can choose to be ok with what I say or not. Thats their choice. Basically this all goes back to many people, not just yourself, making claims about a fantasy movie being a bad film because it didn't live up to their made up head canon. So, if you want to talk about immature and unreasonable, well there's a perfect example. And if you want to read any emotions in that from me, the most accurate one would be annoyance. Anger? Never. Takes far more than that to get me angry these days. Quite frankly it takes too much effort to get angry and I'm far too lazy for that.

The funniest part is that the same people calling people who didn't like the Sequels "fanboys" are the same people who, for YEARS, complained about the Prequels. That's okay, but they try to stop anyone from saying these are bad movies.

Yes Luke could have changed in 40 years, but your core beliefs do not change that much. I've had bad things happen, but it didn't make me stop being me. People need to admit that this is bad portrayal of Luke. If Mark Hamill says it, then that's all the backup I need. I don't know if all these people just hated Jedi and Luke Skywalker or what.

People can choose to be ok with what I say or not. Thats their choice. Basically this all goes back to many people, not just yourself, making claims about a fantasy movie being a bad film because it didn't live up to their made up head canon. So, if you want to talk about immature and unreasonable, well there's a perfect example. And if you want to read any emotions in that from me, the most accurate one would be annoyance. Anger? Never. Takes far more than that to get me angry these days. Quite frankly it takes too much effort to get angry and I'm far too lazy for that.

Most people will choose to not be okay with undeserved insults. It's a reasonable reaction.

I didn't say TLJ was a bad film, I said Luke should have acted like OWK. So you're basically just ignorantly lumping people together.

I'll let that speak to your ability to judge and determine whether acts are mature or immature, reasonable or unreasonable.

...I've had bad things happen, but it didn't make me stop being me...
Have you ever driven anyone to become a genocidal/patricidal emo/goth maniac bitch? Just the emo/goth part would push me over :lol

I was very critical of TFA, and I didn't take kindly to being called a "whiny fan boy" because of it. I. DO. NOT. WHINE. I. COMPLAIN. I have my problems with TLJ but I found enough in it to like, more so than TFA. I've traded a few points with those who didn't like it, but I would never call them whiny. Just wrong :lol

Have you ever driven anyone to become a genocidal/patricidal emo/goth maniac bitch? Just the emo/goth part would push me over :lol

I was very critical of TFA, and I didn't take kindly to being called a "whiny fan boy" because of it. I. DO. NOT. WHINE. I. COMPLAIN. I have my problems with TLJ but I found enough in it to like, more so than TFA. I've traded a few points with those who didn't like it, but I would never call them whiny. Just wrong :lol

Sweet !!! - from a certain ( yours and others ) point of view ! .

Mine too ... ‘ cept I didn’t appreciate RJ ‘s take on a lot of it - with TLJ ( others too ) !

I’m starting to really ‘ dislike ‘ that quote - ‘ Point of view ‘ ... Damn you Obi Wan and GL et al !!!

It’s - just a film / story ... Someone’s interpretation of ... it . For whatever reasons

Honestly .... First world problems - bloody hell ! :facepalm

Last edited:
That was actually funny. Imagine that. Humor and Star Wars going together.

Depends on the kind of humour that is being injected. The subtle kind of humour that we saw in the OT was fitting and well placed. Not all of the characters made jokes whereas in TLJ it seems like ALL characters are in a competition for the best oneliner. Except for Kylo Ren. Or did I miss something?

Most people will choose to not be okay with undeserved insults. It's a reasonable reaction.

I didn't say TLJ was a bad film, I said Luke should have acted like OWK. So you're basically just ignorantly lumping people together.

I'll let that speak to your ability to judge and determine whether acts are mature or immature, reasonable or unreasonable.

This is the last I'm going to engage with you, ever. It doesnt really matter if you said TLJ was a bad film or not. You're aping the attitude and complaints of those who did, so, you know, birds of a feather and all that.

As for the rest pf your post, aren't you now doing what you accused me of? This started off because I made a comment regarding a film and its detractors that you didn't agree with. To use your own vernacular, you then became so triggered you began with posts filled with pseudo psycho analysis and calling me immature, ignorant and unreasonable. Sounds like your Socrates quote from earlier could very well apply to you as well. Now go ahead and have the last word because I know thats important to you and I'm done here.

- - - Updated - - -

Depends on the kind of humour that is being injected. The subtle kind of humour that we saw in the OT was fitting and well placed. Not all of the characters made jokes whereas in TLJ it seems like ALL characters are in a competition for the best oneliner. Except for Kylo Ren. Or did I miss something?

You did miss something. I was having some good natured cheeky fun with another poster and you took my comment literally. Its ok. Clearly my fault for not including a ;) or :lol

This is the last I'm going to engage with you, ever. It doesnt really matter if you said TLJ was a bad film or not. You're aping the attitude and complaints of those who did, so, you know, birds of a feather and all that.

As for the rest pf your post, aren't you now doing what you accused me of? This started off because I made a comment regarding a film and its detractors that you didn't agree with. To use your own vernacular, you then became so triggered you began with posts filled with pseudo psycho analysis and calling me immature, ignorant and unreasonable. Sounds like your Socrates quote from earlier could very well apply to you as well. Now go ahead and have the last word because I know thats important to you and I'm done here.

Yes, it actually does matter that I did not say TLJ was a bad movie due to that being the reason you got triggered and insulted me. You're ignoring the fact that your own failed interpretation of my post is what caused you to personally attack me. That's like insulting someone for spitting in your direction, and when they prove they didn't spit, you say it doesn't matter they deserve it anyways because they look like a person who would spit on someone. You have a complete lack of personal responsibility for your ignorant mistakes.

Post 6553 I say Luke should have acted like OWK.
Post 6554 You insult me as a "fanboy whiner" and claim I am "boohooing"
Post 6566 You claim I said TLJ is a bad movie.

That's what really happened. I have every right to disagree with you, and I did that. I did not attack you personally. You are the one who started in with the personal insults which I have every right to classify as immature. Equating "Luke should have acted like OWK" with "TLJ is a bad movie" is factually ignorant and unreasonable. Do you even know what those words mean? They aren't insults, no matter how you may not like them. "Fanboy whiner" however is an insult. Also, I'll note the hypocrisy of you accusing me of projecting and then accusing me of making psychoanalysis.

You haven't even bothered to try and counter my point about Luke not helping Rey.

Last edited:
IMG_9459.jpg

Saw it last Thursday. Initially I was sort of okay with it theatre but could not shake of that general uneasy feeling that something was really not right. There were parts I liked a lot. And then later I tried to make sense out of the whole movie, rationalize, put priority onthings I liked and focus on positives despite my actual feelings. Then it just hit me a few days after that I've been there before: Phantom Menace. When it came out (even though I was only like 13) I tried to prove myself that it's actually good. Felt that something was off, that it wasn't right, couldn't put a finger on it, but tried to act like it wasn't bad. Exactly the same phenomenon. People trying to EXPLAIN why it's not bad. Calling people who openly dislike it names, etc. If you come out of the theatre and you have to look for reasons to like a movie then it's already a goner.

For the record, I didn't mind that Snoke was Snoke. And Rey was Rey. I never watched Lost but I heard of it and it probably was a similar situation, stir up the pot, to make buzz then we'll figure something out later (or not). This is what I hated in Terminator Genisys the most and this is why I hate franchise-building in general. So yep, for two years when I went to Youtube I was bombarded with video recommendations, one more absurd than the other offering some theory on who's who and I just wished they left it alone. They did, and I didn't mind it at all.
I liked pretty much everything with Kylo Ren and most parts with Rey. Great performances and interesting characters.

The issue I have is that just like the prequels this is just not a good movie in terms of filmmaking. The editing is weird, the script is choppy and basically the plot goes absolutely nowhere. I applaud the intention to defy expectations but it sohuld not take over from the ultimate goal of making a good movie.I was lukewarm/positive to TFA and grew to like it more and more because of the new characters. I loved the characters, they felt right. Shame that the plot was ANH v2.0, I understand why but it could have been just a bit more different. But I was really looking forward to seeing these guys go on and do their stuff. I wasn't even that excited about the Luke story-line. Then comes this film that states it tries to be its own thing while putting all the focus on Luke.

You can argue about what Luke would and would not do until your nose bleeds, the problem is that ultimately it hardly served a purpose either way. I get it, the message is learn from your failures. Did it get anywhere? Not really, everybody fails in their plans, nobody really learns anything (except for Finn who learns that not sacrficing himself for the greater good and letting man-faced horses free is what really matters). Yes, Luke gets up and faces Ren in the end. Then dies 2 minutes later without anyone but a band of 20 rebels seeing it. So what was the ultimate outcome of it? The rebels would have managed to escape following the foxes anyway, Luke bought them maybe 5 minutes of time. If it was say televised live for the whole galaxy to see the legendary Jedi Master standing up against Ren to give everyone courage then yep, makes sense. Other than that, everybody who should have seen and told the tale was fleeing the scene. And is it just me or the vast majority of the island scenes between Luke and Rey were kind of embarassing and awkward? I don't (only) mean flipping the saber comically and milking lizardwalruses (BTW Luke got awfully good at surviving in harsh environment for someone who went there to die) but the way their characters interacted. It was just two people living in their awkward neighbourhood not talking to each other properly, not even remotely interested in each other, no real story-telling in their interactions...just felt really awkward.

Yes, I get it that letting the past go and letting good vs evil go. Even if good vs evil is the very core of Star Wars. It's like the series about Perry Mason, the lawyer who does a great deal of interesting detective work changes halfway and focuses on how legal procedures are followed. But ultimately that concept goes nowhere too, because the whole thing ends up exactly where it started: big menacing Empire led by a dark force warrior chases a small gang of ill-equipped rebels helped by a young Jedi and pure hope. I so wanted Rey and Ren to team up, that would have been really original and different. Instead a film that wants to be original and different re-threads Empire and goes back to square one.

The misplaced humour has been discussed to death too, I don't mind humour but the tone should really be consistent for the film. Here we have a dire and seemingly hopeless string of situations sprinkled with infantile gags. As Mr Plinkett said there isn't a violent rape scene in the first 15 minutes of Ghostbusters and there isn't a pie-in-the-face gag in the middle of Citizen Kane. The best example is (apart form the saber-toss) is when Rey starts to work-out with the lightsaber. Luke watches from the distance, music builds up. Could have been a great scene either showing some interest from Luke or showing that Rey starts to stand on her own feet and she gives up on the idea of Luke training her. Could have gone in so many different and interesting ways just a short scene visually telling us something. Then it pays off in her slicing a rock that breaks the space-nun's cart...

So for me it's a big letdown overall. So many scenes that could have played out a lot better and could have been written much better. And the problem is, I don't like the prequels, any of them. Great, I just ignore them. I never let midichlorians seep into Yoda's speech in Empire or Anakin and C-3PO have any effect on me when I watch the carbon-freeze scene, I just blocked it out and got on with it. But I really grown fond of Force Awakens and because it was set up to be contuinued it's gonna be hard to come to terms with it. And the bottom-line for me is that I'm really not hyped or interested to see where Ep9 will go, because it's back at square one and realistically the only place to develop the story is a big rebel attack on the empire's main base that may or may not have a superlaser on it and a lightsaber fight with Ren and Rey. Could have been great. Shame.

I'd call that getting things started.

The finger tickle only lead her to the cave and a non-revelation about her parents, that Kylo had to fill-in. Which makes that whole cave scene pretty much a waste of time. And she didn't leave because of that in any case. Also, Luke didn't even want that to happen. He directly accuses her of not even hesitating to go to the dark place.

So, again, Luke did nothing to get her going. She left on her own because Luke refused.

And remember, that post was in response to @JoeG claiming Luke's sacrifice had a hand in Rey getting going. Which doesn't make sense since she had already decided to go help before Luke force-projected to Crait.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back