The next release of the Tomenosuke Blaster from Blade Runner

So, first thing I noticed straight-away is the box differences. Of course, it is the same, wonderful design by staermose. The three main differences include the HCG Exclusive designation. I actually like how that looks better in person than when I saw the initial art. Second noticeable detail was the lack of raindrops. While I loved the in-world feel of the gloosy raindrops, I kind of like the plain design. Overall, no complaints with the art as it is a classic. Third noticeable detail is the interior of the box. It looks like imitation leather. I like that this detail changes with each release, but I prefer the tie design from the previous model and the shirt pattern from the older run. Still cool, though. You may be able to see the symbol there in the middle.
IMG_2282.jpgIMG_2283.jpg

Inside, it is the same setup.
IMG_2284.jpg

It looks like the rounds are exactly the same as the previous releases. No problem there.
IMG_2285.jpg

Finally, the new finish. It looks lovely. The same parts that were metal are still metal. The only part with the blued finish is the receiver. While this is not completely screen-accurate, the small upgrade was worth it to me. I love the as-issued look to it and it gives me modification options down the road. I hope someone offers the steel barrel replacement again.
IMG_2286.jpgIMG_2287.jpgIMG_2289.jpgIMG_2290.jpg

Now, I can't tell if the grip color has changed and these pictures don't give you an exact idea. They look a tad darker to my eye.
IMG_2288.jpg

All-in-all, I love it. It is the same great piece from before plus a new finish. Would I have paid more to upgrade to this version? Probably not, but since the older model retained its value(even increased) it was worth swapping out for it. Newcomers will be very pleased and the insatiable Blade Runner fan will be one step closer to a fully screen accurate replica.

My only concern with the new version is that it appears the casting tolerances are getting a little off. The prop is still sturdy, but the chamber catches when I try to open it sometimes. It also catches when I try to close it. I haven't fully diagnosed the issue yet, but I believe it has something to do with the exact position of the cylinder.

Anyway, let me know if you want any more pictures or have further questions.

Edit: does anyone remember if the trigger guard on the old version is plastic or metal? It appears to be plastic on the new one.

Last edited:
Looks great! The trigger-guard was metal on the older ones. I would be surprised if they changed that... but maybe it's now the same heavyweight ABS as the frame. Congratulations on the new baby :)

Last edited:
Thanks!

I figured out the problem with the chamber. If I push and pull farther forward on the sight, it doesn't get caught. There is just a little bit of wiggle on the hinge so that's why I think it was catching.

I've only ever had a Tomenosuke kit so I don't know about the assembled versions, but once I had everything together the cylinder release was definitely sticky before I broke it in. Same with a Bulldog modelgun I had. I just opened and closed it a bunch of times and within the first week everything started smoothing out. That's kind of an "ignore the problem until it's fixed" attitude, but hey it worked!

I mean, it isn't ruining the prop for me. I'm always pretty easy to please, but I don't remember having that problem on my other pro.

I noticed another little detail that looks different to me. On the bottom of the back of the grip frame, there is a little curved gap between the bottom plate and the frame. I don't remember this gap on my other version, but it is clearly there in the photos of the hero prop. If this is a change, it's actually an improvement. Funny thing about it was, when I first noticed it I thought "well that looks crappy". Gotta love hero props and all of their flaws.

Thanks for the pics! Those will have to hold me over til mine gets here next week.

No problem! If you want to see anything else or have any questions, I'm happy to provide them for you. I know I always want to see as much as possible to tide me over.

I think the curve is a step toward the hero prop. Watching some vids and its seems the firing version used by Harrison Ford didn't fit his hand so well so they shaved some mm's off the butt plate for him.

Looks great! Thanks for the pics.

Is the weaver knob easily replaceable for the screw that comes with it?

Last edited:
Mine should be waiting for me when I get home from work this evening. This is my first ever BR prop. I figured I might as well get the big, expensive stuff out of the way first. Next will be the origami pieces and a high quality badge, then I'm done with prop collecting forever. :lol

The trigger guard on mine is definitely metal. But I am having the same sticky chamber he is mentioning. Hopefully it goes away with use.

Yeah, I was thankfully wrong about the trigger guard. The thing was still warm from sitting on my porch all day.

I noticed another improvement. When the fischer screw or the flathead were screwed in all the way, the cylinder would catch. I dremeled my old ones enough so they wouldn't jam. The new version doesn't obstruct the cylinder so you don't have to keep it loose and risk it falling out.

Last edited:
For those of you who have received or have one in route, when did you place your order? I placed mine on 7/27 and the order status still only states that its gone from array to "processed".

I ordered on 8th August and it says on HCG "array to processed". However, check bottom of the order page and you should have a USPS tracking number.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back