Celebrity jerks?

My kids and I met Burt Ward at a con...impersonal and never looked up as he signed our photo. He only spoke to my daughter.
Met Chyna from WWE at a con..she was friendly and took a couple of pics with us. As she walked back around her table, she knocked over my Pepsi that I paid 3$ for, and laughed about it. I wasn't happy..lol
I met Jake "the Snake" Roberts at the indy wrestling I work at...He seemed like a drunk uncle that had a foul mouth and inappropriate jokes. He was nice but not approachable. He did take some photos with us. At the same time, you could tell his health was bad. He went into a comma just a few weeks later.

The contrary,
We met Julie Newmar at a con last month...the nicest, sweetest lady we could ever meet! Way better than Burt Ward. She spent a few minuets chatting with us..with my kids..took a picture with us. Nice as she could be.
"Edge" Adam Copeland from WWE was down to earth and friendly as he could be. Cut up with us and took a couple of photos to be sure we got a good one.
Rowdy Roddy Piper was like meeting my childhood hero! I had tears in my eyes as he told me he loved me and my daughter. He told her how beautiful she was and how honored he was to meet me. He hugged me and shook my hand. One class act. Then, about a month after the con, he passed away.
Kane Hodder, Jason, is as nice and friendly, down to earth, kinda guy you could ever meet. He talked with us for I know 15 min...with other people in line behind us. He made it seem like he was there to meet us and not the other way around. Very cool guy. After a few hours of walking around the Expo, my kids and I sat down to eat a snack and have a drink. Kane walked up and looked around the counter. He then walked over to a guy in a wheelchair, said something to him in his ear, then got in front of him in line. Kane bought that guy's lunch for letting him break line. As we sat down, Kane was pushing the guy saying things like.."hurry up! Faster! Faster!...Let's go!.." As he past by us, he looked over and said.."do you think that's to much? ...Nah, he can take it!" The guy in the wheelchair loved it..he was laughing and having a great time!

Just thought I'd share my little stories...lol

I think some are just hit and miss. Sometimes it could be the way the venue and staff is handling their care vs other places.... and some are just consistently downright bad, and those you can tell they're there to make some money and not genuinely caring about meeting fans.

I can honestly say I'm not sure how I'd be able to handle a day/two of hearing the same thing, but I guess with how much they're getting paid I could wear a smile and stick it out fine, haha!

For me, I just try NOT to ask them the same things others do, just be personal, thank them for coming out, maybe ask something others don't like how they are doing and liking the convention or area.... generally I get a really positive response to not asking questions about a movie or character they're in. It's really hard because I can tend to geek out, but I'd like to leave thinking they were happy about my brief meeting with them.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

In terms of meeting the two of them...Ron was.....well, pretty darn non-interactive (he did shake my hand). The little girl in me was kinda crushed because he'll always be 'Vincent' to me. He was also surprisingly small and sort of started getting the old man 'hunched' look. :(

I had a sorta same experience. He was smiling and pretty nice, but short. I had him sign something from SOA and said a couple things, but his response was mostly, "Thanks, brother." I appreciated him keeping a pretty cool attitude and such, but sometimes you can tell when someone kinda wants to just move along to the next person, haha! I wasn't trying to start a big conversation, but oh well.

I did get a big redemption at his celebrity panel that day when I got to ask him a question in front of the audience inquiring if he is ever uncomfortable about saying any lines (those who know, the guy has said some crazy stuff on camera over the years, ha!) in his films and he was hilarious in his response and loved that moment and even have a sound byte from the recording of it.

It's always tough when you get in these controlled environments and you paid good money to get a signature from someone just hoping to maybe get something memorable of an experience to take with you aside the autograph.

Probably one of my least favorite moments meeting someone was a comic artist back in the 90's at a local convention, Stephen Platt. He didn't seem to care much and rushed through signing our comics and was pretty much it. He really came off as a bit of a jerk and that was a bit crushing. I have no idea what he's doing now, but back then he was one of the top artists featured in Wizard magazine.

As horrible as it is for a fan to admit this, I think I'd be super nice for about the first two weeks. Then I'd start to crack and slowly devolve to a point where I just run from fans while screaming "it's just a show!!!"

As much as I want to meet them myself and get the autograph, I feel bad for what we normal fans put them through, and that's not even getting into those people who show up with half a car load of stuff expecting the celeb to stop what they are doing to sign these 272626251 things.

Sure for most of that would be really fun...the first few days. Then a few weeks of.. "Well for this money I can put up with a lot"..'but after a while...again and again... Eventually you'd reach a point where not only does the money not matter, but you'd actually be willing to pay them to just **** off for five minutes so you could catch your breath.

Selma Blair was there in her first con experience ever (apparently), making the Hellboy trifecta, but I gotta say......there was NOBODY at her table. (no joke). She was basically sitting there, humoring a pimply faced teenager who was a con volunteer. I was a bit embarassed for her. :(

Well, that's a shame. I really like Selma.

Selma Blair was there in her first con experience ever (apparently), making the Hellboy trifecta, but I gotta say......there was NOBODY at her table. (no joke). She was basically sitting there, humoring a pimply faced teenager who was a con volunteer. I was a bit embarassed for her. :(

I would love to meet her!!! I have such a crush on her from Legally Blonde lol! Hopefully that experience doesn't cause her to swear off cons. :/

We met Julie Newmar at a con last month...the nicest, sweetest lady we could ever meet! Way better than Burt Ward. She spent a few minuets chatting with us..with my kids..took a picture with us. Nice as she could be.

I didn't think she did shows! I certainly hope she would come around to Dallas, that would so cool to meet a great Catwoman.

The last show I was at I got to see Barbara Eden and Bill Daily from I Dream of Jeannie. Both as sweet as can be.

Selma Blair was there in her first con experience ever (apparently),

Selma was at NYCC whatever year Hellboy II debuted. The cast signed jointly at the Dark Horse booth after the panel, but I don't think they were signing individually at their own stations.

Selma was at NYCC whatever year Hellboy II debuted. The cast signed jointly at the Dark Horse booth after the panel, but I don't think they were signing individually at their own stations.

I stand corrected and you are right now that I think about it- the Rhode Island Comic Con was promoting it as her first con appearance since HB2, which still makes it close to 8 years that all three actors from the film have been together in one place. It was quite an opportunity for people waiting on that, so it was incredibly strange to see her seemingly without a fan base. They had their own dedicated room, with tables spanning left to right at the far back, (Ron at left, Doug center, Selma right). Volunteers had put tape on the carpet to make these LONG, long queue lines (picture that meandering, endless zigzag of an amusement park attraction).

I had to visit Doug first because Ron was finishing up a pro photo shoot and when you got almost to the point of meeting Doug, you were standing literally 2 feet from Selma. I almost felt like I should have tried to chat her up a bit (she was playing with her phone and looking down...I'm sure doing anything to avoid just sitting there staring straight ahead at nobody in particular). I could have chalked it up to time of day, etc. but it was Saturday, which was absolutely SOLD OUT and teeming with people, and Selma was there ONLY on Saturday of a 3 day Con. If you missed her right then, you missed her entirely.

I'll add our pic....

We also got to meet my favorite Christian singer when I was a teenager. Carman...he has just came off from battling cancer at the same time I did and I heard he was coming to a church in my area, I jumped at it! Of course I took my kids too..It was only 10$ for the 3 of us...but then we had the chance to meet him after the concert. I was gonna tell him about the cancer thing and maybe offer encouragement for both of us. When I got to his table he had set up, he signed a CD and I started talking. I said my kids really liked his music and that I was a fan since I was around 15. He said..."and you turned out alright, huh"...Next!...he said it in such a condescending tone, my 12 yr old asked me why he was butthole-ish to me..lol..even he picked up on it...the whole thing took less than 5min. He signed the CD, looked up for a pic..and moved to the next person. but I still like his music though..

cat.jpg

So I will share one of my recent celebrity encounters.... While a B list actor was at Comikaze halloween weekend wandering around as most cosplayers do. Walked by all the celebrity signing both looked over and saw Dian Bachar(squeak from Baseketbal) l. Walked by and we exchanged glances I waved at him... He gestures me to come over so I do. As it turns out he remembers me from working at HIS local target a few years ask how come he never sees me there any more. I explain how I was let go a few years back. We end up having a 15+ minute one on conversation...I felt a little bad for the guy his line never had anyone in it the whole time I was there and this was prime signing hours for most celebs (1130am Saturday)

The only bad encounter I remember was with Dominic Keating of Enterprise. I went up and had him sign an AA phase pistol. The man looked miserable and could not have cared less. In fact he acted like he was doing me a favor. Maybe he was having an off day.

I had a weird encounter with Dominic Keating. Last year, I attended Starbace Indy. Saturday morning, I went to his table to say hi. I could tell that he was quite wasted/hung over. He was very moody and quite irritable. Later that afternoon, I got to have my photo opp with him. After the photo was taken... He said to me not to be shy. Yes I was a bit quiet around him because it was my first convention, and I didn't want to say anything to push his buttons since he was hung over. As I waited for my photo, he sat in the chair, with his head between his legs. Like you stated, he looked completely miserable. I hate to say this, but I absolutely felt sorry for him. On Sunday, I had a very different experience with him. I went to say goodbye to him. He seemed very pleasant to speak with. He was surprised that I was leaving. After talking with him for a few moments, I started to leave the room. As I left, he blew me kisses while saying goodbye.

Doms easy just buy him a few rounds at the bar and you will have a friend for life! :lol

I had a weird encounter with Dominic Keating. Last year, I attended Starbace Indy. Saturday morning, I went to his table to say hi. I could tell that he was quite wasted/hung over. He was very moody and quite irritable. Later that afternoon, I got to have my photo opp with him. After the photo was taken... He said to me not to be shy. Yes I was a bit quiet around him because it was my first convention, and I didn't want to say anything to push his buttons since he was hung over. As I waited for my photo, he sat in the chair, with his head between his legs. Like you stated, he looked completely miserable. I hate to say this, but I absolutely felt sorry for him. On Sunday, I had a very different experience with him. I went to say goodbye to him. He seemed very pleasant to speak with. He was surprised that I was leaving. After talking with him for a few moments, I started to leave the room. As I left, he blew me kisses while saying goodbye.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back