Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker (Pre-release)

I wondered about that, too. It seems unlikely that Lucasfilm/Disney would have announced Trevorrow was leaving without having a pretty good idea who was going to replace him, but it would be fun to know which specific directors they thought about.

I still get a kick out of the fact that George Lucas actually entertained the idea of hiring David Lynch for ROTJ. Talk about some crazy gusto.

Some reports say they offered it to Rian and he turned it down.

Some reports say they offered it to Rian and he turned it down.

Yeah, I wonder why. Maybe he thought he'd get burned out making two of them back to back? Even if you're enjoying the job, films this big and complex must take an enormous toll on a person physically and mentally.

I have yet to see into darkness... might just have to see it tonight

Never mind, into darkness is the middle trek film, I haven't seen beyond yet

I am not a trek fan. So I enjoyed I to darkness
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think I despise Into Darkness more than Bayformers....:darnkids

Not even a half naked Alice Eve can make me watch it again...

Yeah, I wonder why. Maybe he thought he'd get burned out making two of them back to back? Even if you're enjoying the job, films this big and complex must take an enormous toll on a person physically and mentally.

To us it seems like a no-brainer, but it is most certainly a super stressful intense job to work on the biggest franchise ever and have it dominate your life for a few years. It's WORK. Given that once it's done you'll be in the position to have any studio do whatever you want-- his original stuff like Brick and Looper was already cool. Imagine what he can do now that he'll be in the position of Nolan or Speilberg to an extent.

If JJ could hold himself back from blowing up planets, adding technology that requires excessive suspension of disbelief, and mysteries-at-every-turn to try to make the movie interesting (instead of good pacing, dialog, and character development), I might have hope.

Sadly, I don't think he'll be able to resist. We'll never find out who Snoke is, Dagobah will be toasted, and there will be a new galaxy-sized Death Star.

You heard it here first.

I was terrified when I heard Colin Trevorrow was slated to direct XI. Other than Safety Not Guaranteed, I've hated all of the other movies of his that I've seen. I only made it 20 minutes into Jurassic World before I turned it off. Not that I'm even a fan of the Jurassic Park franchise to begin with but it was so painfully bland that I couldn't stand to waste any more time watching it.

I'm not crazy that J.J. Abrams is directing XI, but I would take him over Trevorrow any day of the week. What really worries me is that Abrams is going to co-write with the guy who wrote Argo (a well made, but unmemorable movie that didn't deserve an Oscar), Batman vs. Superman, and the upcoming Justice League. As much as I love Star Wars, I will cede the point that it's not Shakespeare in terms of writing, but I would hope that Lucasfilm believes in the story enough to hire better writers. I hope I am proven wrong.

I would have preferred another director take the reigns, much like the OT had a different director for each film. As long as the characters and story are strong (and they don't build ANOTHER Death Star- one of the few issues I had with TFA) and they wrap up the story without all kinds of loose ends I will be happy. Something like The Dark Knight Rises comes to mind. While it wasn't perfect, I thought that the closure of the trilogy was very emotionally satisfying. I can forgive a few shaky plot points if the character arcs are compelling enough.

JJ literally needs to be banned from anything SW and ST. Admittedly, I liked into darkness, yet I think it was good by accident.

JJ literally needs to be banned from anything SW and ST. Admittedly, I liked into darkness, yet I think it was good by accident.

I'm sure LFL is going to take your advice and ban a guy who made a $2 billion film for them. That's totally rational thought right there. :facepalm

OK, now I'm definitely out of this thread.

I still get a kick out of the fact that George Lucas actually entertained the idea of hiring David Lynch for ROTJ. Talk about some crazy gusto.

I'm glad he refused so he could make Dune. One of my favorite sci-fi movies.

He also asked Cronenberg who declined so he could make Videodrome. Another of my favorites.

Also, I'm not sure I dig JJ doing another one of these. My pick would have been Zemeckis for 9.

I'm sure LFL is going to take your advice and ban a guy who made a $2 billion film for them. That's totally rational thought right there. :facepalm

OK, now I'm definitely out of this thread.

I doubt it. yet I'm not the only one who probably feels this way

JJ Abrams is an remarkable filmmaker because his film grossed 2 billion.

Colin Trevorrow is terrible filmmaker because his film only grossed 1.6 billion.

JJ Abrams presents: Star Wars Episode IX: Return of the Apprentice

It starts with Kylo Ren arriving on an even bigger ice planet, dubbed Starkiller Base 2.0. He tells the commander there to hasten the construction of the superweapon, which at that point was 70% completed; Snoke's not happy with the lack of progress.

Cut to Jakku, where after the events of Episode VIII, Poe is encased in suspended animation in a mirror-like cabinet and kept in the mansion of Unkar Plutt, where his minions party. Threepio and BB8 arrive, apparently as gifts from Rey, to Unkar Plutt, to bury the hatchet. Next, Finn arrives in a bounty hunter disguise, who then frees Poe from his mirror-prison. Unkar Plutt catches them while they're kissing (to appeal to Finn/Poe supporters) and makes Finn a slave boy. Rey arrives, tries to rescue her friends and is captured. They get sentenced to death in the bowels of the Mother of all Rathtars, so big that it resides inside the desert. Rey saves the day, kills Unkar Plutt and all of them escape Jakku.

As Finn, Poe and gang return to the Resistance fleet, Rey visits Luke, who's dying. Before he dies, he reveals that Kylo is Rey's brother (despite them making out in Episode VIII - this to appeal to GoT fans) and that to be a Jedi, she has to confront Kylo one last time. Luke dies and disappears into thin air.

Snoke arrives at Starkiller Base 2.0 happy with the progress.

Once Rey reunites with her friends, the Resistance reveals a plan to attack Starkiller Base 2.0. First, they have to disable the shield surrounding the planet, which is located on an orbiting forest moon, let's call it Hodor (again to appeal to GoT fans). The gang arrives in Hodor, stumbles into a tribe of half cat/half Pikachu-like (to appeal to icanhazcheeseburgers and Pokemon fans) cuddly creatures.

The finale takes place in three battles, the battle on Hodor to disable the shield led by Finn, the space battle to destroy Starkiller Base 2.0 led by Poe and the lightsaber battle between Kylo and Rey before Snoke.

Rey is overpowered by Snoke, and Kylo, in a moment of enlightenment, lifts Snoke and throws him over into, ummm, the fireplace. Rey takes off Kylo's helmet, they kiss passionately (GoT fans go "hooray!") and Kylo dies. Rey leaves the base, it gets destroyed, and the Resistance and their cat/Pikachu allies celebrate, while the Force ghosts of Luke, Kylo and Han (Huh? What?) look on.

Oh, and Chewie finally gets a medal. For staying alive.

Last edited by a moderator:
JJ Abrams is an remarkable filmmaker because his film grossed 2 billion.

Colin Trevorrow is terrible filmmaker because his film only grossed 1.6 billion.

Money earned doesn't mean quality. How many movies can we shake a stick at to prove that point? But, as long as audiences are brain dead enough to support it, we'll keep getting Fast n Furious movies and Taylor Swift albums.

Money earned doesn't mean quality. How many movies can we shake a stick at to prove that point? But, as long as audiences are brain dead enough to support it, we'll keep getting Fast n Furious movies and Taylor Swift albums.

Thats right, but we have said REPEATEDLY revenue, critical and fan reaction, and sucesss of characters to become a part of mainstream pop culture are the best subjective metrics that remove personal opinion. By that standard the film was a huge success.

I generally like TFA, but do have some very real issues with the way JJ crafts stories & improvises his way through them. It sounds like there wasn't much, if any, of an outline for the new trilogy when TFA was made; which is frustrating, considering how the PT turned out. So, I do have concerns about how he will wrap things up, but I want to be optimistic.

Although, I also think I'm getting ahead of myself since 8 hasn't even come out yet. Let's see if that's any good before worrying if 9 will suck...

My major concerns:

1. JJ needs to ****ing pay off the mystery. Screw your mystery box bulls***. YOU ANSWER THE QUESTIONS YOU RAISED, DAMMIT. Ideally, those will be dealt with in TLJ, though, and we can just focus on paying off the plot and character elements.

2. JJ needs to learn better pacing. Both TFA and Trek09 are rollercoaster rides that do not allow the audience to take a breath. That's a bad thing. Cut out the Rathtar sequence and TFA suddenly has about 15 extra minutes to develop character relationships, reflect on moments that have just happened, and provide contrast to all the action, which in turn actually highlights the action.

3. JJ needs to really. Carefully. Think. About how he resolves the plot. Don't ass-pull your way out of the problem. Plot the story the hell out.

I just finished a rewatch of Babylon 5 with my wife, who'd never seen it. Holy freakin' crap that show is well structured plot-wise. It's meticulously crafted. Moreover, because the plot itself is well planned and executed, the characters all have space to develop within it. You watch characters genuinely change over the course of the show. And they do it organically. It never feels forced. Granted, they had 5 seasons to do all of that, but to me, this proves that the attitude that many writers seem to have where they disdain plot is utter nonsense. Like, "Ugh, plot. So gauche. I write characters and let them drive the plot." Yeah, well, that's probably why your story is crap, had a terrible ending, and now everyone will spend years discussing how it sucked/didn't suck on the internet instead of just saying "Yeah. Wow, what a great story."

Plot matters. Also, plot matters. So, JJ needs to be really freakin' careful and make certain that the plot resolves in a satisfying manner that is internally consistent with the established rules of the universe.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back