Warrior Hawkgirl - Articulating Wings + Armor

Finally, all the armor is (mostly) squared away!

I primed the Worbla with two coats of Titebond wood glue, which gives it a nice smooth surface with no sanding; wood glue is sort of self-leveling, so it spreads out super smooth with no brushstrokes.

After that dried today, I threw on a coat of Rustoleum's hammered finish spray paint. I was looking for a pewter or bronze, but settled on this "chestnut."

View attachment 426904

It looked great until, what the hell, the color changed!

View attachment 426906

View attachment 426905

Anybody use hammered paint and have this happen to them? I rattled the can more than enough, but apparently the results beg to differ! It'll work out fine, but I'm still a little annoyed. Hmm... I would like to use Volpin's technique of layering sponged-on metallic paint with weathering, which will hopefully brighten the darker pieces up.

Why yes I have. Check the manufacture date on your can's. If they aren't the same then there is your problem. I didn't even know they had that the paint guy at the Home Depot had to show me.

Eventhough it turned out different from what you intended,to me the result is still amazing,Spring :thumbsup
I hope you can find a solution for this situation.

I think they turned out awesome spring! If it were me, I would dry brush gold on the darker pieces in the areas where armor would be naturally highlighted, and call it a day.
I think this is going to turn out to be the best Hawkgirl costume ever.

Why yes I have. Check the manufacture date on your can's. If they aren't the same then there is your problem. I didn't even know they had that the paint guy at the Home Depot had to show me.

Well, this was from the same can; color just changed mid-spray. I'm assuming I didn't thoroughly shake it, and the multi-colored hammered effect required a good mix.

I think they turned out awesome spring! If it were me, I would dry brush gold on the darker pieces in the areas where armor would be naturally highlighted, and call it a day.
I think this is going to turn out to be the best Hawkgirl costume ever.

Thank you! I'm really liking how it's (slowly) turning out! And I think I will just brush in some hightlights/weathering and not worry. Once the golden details and weathering are added, the difference in color between pieces won't even be noticeable.

Thanks everyone for the feedback!

Hi springsteel

the armour is looking great :thumbsup I'm glad your just ploughing on ahead regardless of the slight paint hiccup, it'll still rock anyway :)

Oh yeh, did you catch my most recent PM?

Thanks, Canobi!

And yeah, no noticeable difference in paint color once the weathering was added. Today I painted up the details in gold acrylic, and plan to highlight the edges with some Testors gold enamel model paint - it's ultra-bright and super metallic, and really makes the edges crisp. I'm also planning on adding a glossy clear coat to the red on the leg armor, and the scales will likely be a metalic ochre yellow.

IMG_5897.JPG

IMG_5896.JPG

More to come.

Did you just dig up a treasure?! Because that's what it looks like! :cool
Once again you did an amazing job,Spring :thumbsup

Last edited:
Ummm,ok springsteel, this has turned out to be some of my best work ;)

I was stunned when I turned it on, and LOVING the colour of this LED. I used a different supplier that nomal due to lack of the royal blue and will be going back for sure. Amazingly it almost looks the same to the naked eye.

!WARNING! Protective eyewar is recommended for your own safety.

Just seen this thread. It's looking amazing. I'm excited to see more progress on your wings.

Thanks! I'm excited to get cracking on the wings. Just need to gather up a few more supplies before starting.

Ummm,ok springsteel, this has turned out to be some of my best work ;)

I was stunned when I turned it on, and LOVING the colour of this LED. I used a different supplier that nomal due to lack of the royal blue and will be going back for sure. Amazingly it almost looks the same to the naked eye.

!WARNING! Protective eyewar is recommended for your own safety.

That. Is. Amazing! And that color. It's so blue, it's almost violet! I'm pretty sure my hamster-ball mace isn't worthy of that light!

Apparently this one has been designed for aquariums with corel and other brightly coloured fish so theres a little UV(B) in the spectrum.

Thanks everyone for the feedback and for following along! Helps to keep me motivated :)

So today I added some extra details to the armor. As much as I liked the plain metallic look, I also wanted to incorporate Hawkgirl's classic colors into the mix. Once I've added in weathering and highlights, I'll coat the colored areas with several layers of clearcoat to give it an enamelled look. I did this with the flat red on the legs, and it looks so much better. I'm not convinced by the additions of yellow and green yet (both mixed with gold to add a bit of shine), but once the weathering goes on, they'll incorporate much better.

IMG_5907.JPGIMG_5900.JPG

I also coated the interior of the mace with a cornstarch/glue slurry, to help diffuse the light inside. In hindsight, I wish that I'd sanded the exterior and interior of the ball to help with that. Another option would be to spray window frosting on the inside, but I'd really have no use for the rest of the can.

IMG_5901.JPG

Once I receive my AMAZING high-powered star LED module from @Canobi, I'll rework the handle and stuff the globe with some organza or other sheer fabric to again help with light diffusion.

Slowly coming along! I'll probably disappear for a bit in the next few weeks, as I have a scary interview coming up, but hopefully I can crack out a good amount of progress before then!

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back