The "I'm painting a Captain America Shield" thread

Hello everyone, I'm new here and still learning how to go around.

I'm a big fan of captain america as well, and I want to build my own shield too. My only doubt is what to choose, I have seen lots of guys using that Flexible Flyer Classic Steel Saucer, and come out with nice shields.
* how thick and flexible that is? or definitely the spun aluminum is the best call? expensive though.
* what measures it's more adequate for the spun aluminum ( inner circle and stripes )?
* have anyone found where to get the spun aluminum smaller that 26"?

I found this guy TheCap here, nice shield work Anyone making the Captain America Shield Replica (Movie Version)? - Page 10
I tried to contact him on this site, but no success, his posts are all deleted. It seems he left. Anybody knows where he send his shield to be painted? and what kind of paint was used ? It seems metallic, or its the same paint eveyone are painting theirs shield replica from the movie?

Thanks a lot all

I did a quick search and didnt find any mention of it so i thought I'd share what I'm using to tape off my circles.

Artists Tape For Curves by Scotch. You can pick it up at art and craft stores like Joann Fabrics for about $4

Def more for the folks who are doing the sled to shield builds since using a compass/knife would more than likely cut up your sled.... plus my hand isnt steady enough for a knife.

It worked great for me and provided some nice crisp lines... my first pass at using Duplicolor paints on the other hand didnt go as well ;)

Last edited:
Hello everyone, I'm new here and still learning how to go around.

I'm a big fan of captain america as well, and I want to build my own shield too. My only doubt is what to choose, I have seen lots of guys using that Flexible Flyer Classic Steel Saucer, and come out with nice shields.
* how thick and flexible that is? or definitely the spun aluminum is the best call? expensive though.
* what measures it's more adequate for the spun aluminum ( inner circle and stripes )?
* have anyone found where to get the spun aluminum smaller that 26"?

I found this guy TheCap here, nice shield work Anyone making the Captain America Shield Replica (Movie Version)? - Page 10
I tried to contact him on this site, but no success, his posts are all deleted. It seems he left. Anybody knows where he send his shield to be painted? and what kind of paint was used ? It seems metallic, or its the same paint eveyone are painting theirs shield replica from the movie?

Thanks a lot all
the difference in price between the sled and the aluminum blank works out to roughly 190.00 usd. That being said there is much more work you have to do to the sled (stripping paint, cutting edges, making the steel look like spun aluminum), then there is the cost to actually alter the sled, so ultimately it depends on your cash situation. The sled is thin but not so thin where it becomes floppy.

the standard size of the blank is 26" with a 9.5" center circle. You can request a smaller version if you wish. the movie uses different sizes as small as 24" if I remember correctly. Again it is your personal preference. All other questions can be answered by reading this thread and Valors sled build thread.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

I got my blank from a guy in the UK named Angel. He's on the Facebook "heroes for hire, no... costumes for sale" group. Had a great price on them about a month ago. Got three shipped to TN from London for right at $125 each. I think his prices have went up a little but for a budget option it works for me. The grooves are pressed in vs cut

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

I got my blank from a guy in the UK named Angel. He's on the Facebook "heroes for hire, no... costumes for sale" group. Had a great price on them about a month ago. Got three shipped to TN from London for right at $125 each. I think his prices have went up a little but for a budget option it works for me. The grooves are pressed in vs cut

nice that's actually a great price!

And here's how mine ended up after attaching one of Valor's stars:

uploadfromtaptalk1403096732203.jpg

It's in this thread, some folks use testors and some use duplicolor. I used the duplicolor anodized metalcast blue and red

Hello everyone,

just checking threads around here, and knowing you guys have been a lot into the painting process. I wonder if I could get some help.
im in the process of painting my own shield, but I'm going into classic one, no grooves and no silver on it.

Have anyone painted it white and see how it looks with anodized red and blue?

I am not sure how that would come out. You would have three anodized rings and one flat white ring. Try it out and post the results. My suggestion would be to keep everything uniform

Awesome and very informative thread. Having a local shop make my spun aluminum shield! They are very reasonably priced!! Getting 3 made!!

Last edited:
The clear coat is all that's left for my shield. I'll be posting pics soon. Until then, here's a fun picture to start the weekend.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1403305832.899826.jpg

Just got home from my business trip and was greeted by this... Rusting. Not a complete shock. Just surprised at how it rusted. Hopefully can strip it and attempt painting tomorrow.

Has anyone every tried coating the shield after stripping with a spray clear rust protective coat? If so, can you paint over that and get the same results we are all looking for?

Has anyone thought about changing the color pattern ? For example, leaving the outer ring bare, then a red ring, then a bare ring, then the star area blue... My thoughts as a practical approach. The outer ring / edge is the cutting edge, so paint would always be chipped and dinged,if used in the real world. Plus I truly love the the bare metal against the colors. Such a shame to cover it with paint. In a way it would more resemble our flags pattern. On another note, SHIELD has collapsed per winter soldier movie, the government has been corrupted both by hydra and other issues, would a blue on blue shield in the same combo mentioned above be a bad idea? Capt is now an independent operator with ties to the Avengers and no ties to the government.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back