Homemade Star Wars Effects

ringa

Hi Everyone.

I haven't been a truly active member since I finished my ANH Star Destroyer replica.

Much has been happening. My mom passed away last month. She had been sick with cancer since last September. I have been unemployed since so I could take care of her full time. Since her passing, I have been studying and training for a new career. I had been a graphic designer for print and web, and helping out my friend, Patrick Read Johnson, doing some film work; model making, art directing, producing.

Now I am learning to do motion graphics and visual effects. As a training project, I made a "Homemade" Star Wars visual effects film, and I wanted to share it with you guys here on the RPF. Like I always say, the fun of having studio scale models is bring them into the studio. The video is 5 minutes long, including some behind-the-scenes footage.

I used my Star Destroyer replica, the digital Death Star surface / trench I made for Patrick's 5-25-77 movie, and Scott Alexander's X-wing model, also used in 5-25-77 (It was smashed to bits for a scene. I took the pieces home and rebuilt it). For one shot I used a 4' x 2' board filled with 2-inch square Death Star tiles made by Tony Augustin. I wanted to use my Master Replicas Millennium Falcon, but it was just too big and heavy, plus the way it is mounted makes it even harder to use as a filming model. So I used hobby kits of the Falcon and T.I.E. Fighters.

I shot the whole thing using this Panasonic Lumix camera mounted to a wobbly cart for motion control (if you can call it that):

Here are some still shots of what you will see:

They are MP4 files.

http://www.rickingalsbestudio.com/pages/Effects_Videos.html

Last edited:
Rick, I'm sorry about your mom. Sincere condolences.

You did an awesome job, I watched it on my big TV and I had the feeling I was watching a real Star Wars movie (but with better VFX lol). Totally enjoyed it !

Hahaha, here's the best compliment you can get:
I thought for sure, that the first image was taken from ANH and you had added a laser you made yourself! Great compositing.

:lol wow, amazing work! :thumbsup incredible what you can do at home with no real budget. My only critique is that the sound effects' volume is too high. The behind the scenes stuff was just as good/fun to watch. BRAVO!
The CGI death star trench, what did you use for that? 3D studio max?
About your mom... horrible, just horrible :( cancer frakking sucks, so bad! Hearing people losing loved ones to it, makes my blood boil :angry I hope you stay strong and also find a new job :)
Perhaps working for JJ on the new film ;)

If you want, you can check out my home made CGI starwars intro:
http://www.therpf.com/f47/i-want-your-honest-starwars-opinion-211575
Which was also made in After Effects ;)

That's really cool Rick. I absolutely LOVE watching fan made star wars movies because its usually just you and a few others with absolutely no budget and only your imagination using quick thinking and primitive practices to problem solve each shot. And that to me is what real movie making is all about.
I can't believe how well your Devastator photographs. Absolutely incredible!

I can't help but like this. This is truly what I've mentioned many times when it comes to old-school visual effects being able to be done nowadays on a low budget. To be honest, I'm surprised a lot of Star Wars fan film makers haven't gone back to doing model effects like this (especially with the mass producing of many Star Wars models over the years), since technology nowadays allows for it to be accomplished (and your video definitely proves it can be done). If we managed to land on the moon with a computer less powerful than a smartphone, we can make model effects like this more common place once again.

Excellent work, Ringa. :D

Thanks, guys! Your comments and condolences are much appreciated.

To answer some questions and comments:

The CG Death Star was made in Google SketchUp.

Sorry if you thought the sound effects were too loud. I guess I had a bit too much fun with that. :D

I, too, have a soft spot for the "old school" ways. There is a line in the 5-25-77 script that I love. It's from the John Dykstra character that says about making the first Star Wars film, "We're making this whole movie out of things you can find lying around your garage."

Actually, I read that men landed on the moon with a computer with less power than a vintage pocket calculator.:) But I got your point.

Terminator, I watched your homemade CG Star Wars, and I was very impressed with both versions. It is visually spectacular. Nicely done. I like how the Star Destroyer comes in from the side to follow the trench. Of course, I would like anything with a Star Destroyer in it, but this was a new way of doing it. I didn't mind the flaming engines, as some did. Even though my model has real lights in the engines, I did enhance them with a flickering effect in After Effects, so your choice is similar to mine. Cool.

The still look great! Any Chance You could Post the Video in another format? Im having problems opening the qt.

Thank you, I'm glad you like the stills. I'm sorry you cannot see the video. I'm on a MAC and my wife has a PC, so I chose the file that plays on both. I tried an MP4 file which was no problem for MAC users, but no PC users I know could see that. Maybe if you try updating QuickTime?

Thank you, I'm glad you like the stills. I'm sorry you cannot see the video. I'm on a MAC and my wife has a PC, so I chose the file that plays on both. I tried an MP4 file which was no problem for MAC users, but no PC users I know could see that. Maybe if you try updating QuickTime?

Download VLC, it's probably the best media player :)

Ah, of course it wasn´t the file, but my QT version. Curse you, overcomplicated installation routines !!!

But now, NOW I can at long last enjoy this lil´ gem time and time again :D Love the making of at the end. Damn, you make it look so easy, especially with your name all over the end credits :p

Now it´s up to someone to use the old or new toy ships to recreate classic moments :p

Michael

This is excellent; i'm currently involved in a (very) similar project, so glad to see it can be done on a shoestring.
-Matt

This is excellent; i'm currently involved in a (very) similar project, so glad to see it can be done on a shoestring.
-Matt

Yes, and don´t even need After Effects and Premiere to do this. If you can´t get them as student´s versions, there is quite a lot of shareware or even freeware ou there that lets you do the "simple" things like basic composting. The Magix software suite comes to mind, then there is "Blender" which also helps with the integration of 3D, and a lot of other packages.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back