John D. Branon Red 4 X Wing helmet - RS Props Master Jack Klaff Signature Edition

Stal

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hello RPF,

Here is my review of the RS Prop Masters Jack Klaff Signature Edition - Replica Red 4 Helmet.
Products Archive | RS Propmasters

First of, some of you might certainly ask " wait, who is Red 4 ? who is John D. ? "
Seen in the Original Trilogy, John D. Branon is an X Wing pilot, member of the Red Squadron.
His only appearance on screen was in A New Hope, during the Battle Of Yavin.
It lasted only a few seconds, just the time to see him being shot.

For John D., go to 4:24.

These few seconds allow us to see Red 4 awesome helmet.

John D. BRANON (BOY) 1.jpeg John D. BRANON (BOY) 2.jpeg John D. BRANON (BOY) 3.jpeg

Just for the record, here is a shot of Red4's helmet spotted/reused in ESB.

View attachment 846375
0:21

RS Prop Masters is a well known UK fan based company and they decided to offer a replica of this helmet.
They offer high end SW props and costumes replicas (with lineage to the original items).

This is their second X Wing helmet replica, they offered Red 5 - Luke a few months back.
The big difference is that this Red 4 edition is limited to 25 pieces worldwide and that it came with a signed plaque from Red 4 actor, Mr Jack Klaff.

Ordered June 15 (2018). Received August 22 (2018).
Price was £294,99 w/o postage.

First thing after opening the big brown box is this really cool print, included with all their Signature Helmet.
Not to mention that the overall package was really good and everything is safely setup.

0.jpg

The stand.
For those who are familiar with RS items, you'll noticed this is the new stand.
I personally really like it, the package is awesome and the stand itself feels way more professional.

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg
4.jpg 5.jpg
6.jpg

Lets talk about the prop itself.
This helmet is based on an original TIE helmet associated with an APH6 and some mods. "Real" X Wing helmets were based on a modified APH6.
It's vacuformed and hand painted with decals, just like the original.

7.jpg

The inside of the helmet comes with a nice black liner/padding (not accurate but a great addition).
Visor, ear muffs, chinstrap are moveable.

16.jpg 17.jpg

And here it is

8.jpg 12.jpg

9.jpg10.jpg11.jpg13.jpg14.jpg15.jpg

And what you have below is a picture of the screen used helmet in its actual condition in the LFL archives.

20180912_231428.jpg

And here it is re-used for the video-game Rebel Assault II.

Screenshot_20190121-233033.png Screenshot_20190121-232957.png

If you look closely you will easily notice the two rebel insignas under the dark red weathered paintjob. RS didn't added these to their version, certainly for a more "clean" look. Also, the black stripes on top of the helmet look handpainted on the original. These are decals on the RS helmet.

Two more pictures of th RS helmet with the stand alltogether.

19.jpg

18.jpg

Hope you like it.

Stal

Last edited:
Very cool helmet! Many thanks for your review. Wish I had one but I was to late after they selling them:(. Will see what the next is in future...maybe a Biggs:D
Thanks @ywingfighter !
I'm sorry you missed this one but I am confident they will release Biggs Darklighter helmet soon.
It's already in the making :

RS XWing helmets.jpeg

If it's a Signature Edition, I'll try to get one too.

Stal

Just updated the first post with a short comparison of the RS helmet with the screen used helmet.

Just updated the first post with a short comparison of the RS helmet with the screen used helmet.

What a great write up/review of this helmet, & fantastic photos! :thumbsup

& the Biggs helmet is a must for me. I very much hope it's a Signature Edition as well!

What a great write up/review of this helmet, & fantastic photos! :thumbsup

& the Biggs helmet is a must for me. I very much hope it's a Signature Edition as well!
Thanks @russellsch !
I'm far from being a good photographer. I'll sure try to improve that next time !

Standing by for Biggs !
Already have the CMK Sandtrooper on order right now.

Anyone know if they are releasing any more Red 4 helmets? I picked up Red 2 and Red 3 but missed out on this one unfortunately.
Hello,

It depends if you are looking for the limited edition with the signed plaque or "just" the helmet with Red 4 paintjob.

The limited/signed edition was sold out short after it's release (remember it was only 25 pieces), you need to find someone selling it.

Or, if you have no interests in the plaque, you should contact the RSPM team at info@rspropmasters.com, they might do one for you without the limited edition features.

-Stal

Hello,

It depends if you are looking for the limited edition with the signed plaque or "just" the helmet with Red 4 paintjob.

The limited/signed edition was sold out short after it's release (remember it was only 25 pieces), you need to find someone selling it.

Or, if you have no interests in the plaque, you should contact the RSPM team at info@rspropmasters.com, they might do one for you without the limited edition features.

-Stal

I'm looking for a limit edition one. I didn't realize it was only 25 pieces, thought it was 100 for some reason. I'll keep my eyes open for anyone selling it. Thanks.

I'm looking for a limit edition one. I didn't realize it was only 25 pieces, thought it was 100 for some reason. I'll keep my eyes open for anyone selling it. Thanks.
Good luck with your search :)

I had the opportunity to pre-order Red 2 LE/SE just after Christmas.
I will update this thread once I will have it in hands.
I really hope they plan to do the rest of the Red Squadron.

-Stal

Hello guys,

Look what we have here.
Screenshot_20190121-233033.png Screenshot_20190121-232957.png

I was looking at these old (1995) video-game footage (Rebel assault II) when I recognized a familiar helmet.

Funny to see it again, looks like it was already close to its actual state in the LFL archives.

By the way, that game is fascinating, they re-used tons of the original props. As for the XWings helmets, you can see Red Leader, Wedge, Gold Leader, ROTJ blastshield variant and much more.

-Stal

Last edited:
This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back