Jurassic Park Cryocan - New Detail Found?

Extremely difficult to make out what's on the bottom of the can, but here are some 'enhanced' caps:

I somehow lost the subscription to this thread, almost thought it had died.

Mike J, thanks for posting those. Definitely shows a concave bottom on the first shot. I think it looks flat in the following shot because his hand is blocking the light. Reflective objects are mostly defined by what they are reflecting, and with the frosty surface of the metal, the reflections are too blurry to reveal anything like wrinkles on his shadowed palm. I have already verified this with my own can in similar lighting. Notice that Nedry's can does the same thing in the cryo room when his hand gets near the bottom, although it's clearly concave when he pulls it out of his jacket.

I was so close to buying an old style can but decided to hold off. I'm really glad now because I feel like I would be unsatisfied with it knowing about this detail now.

Rylo says the Chronicles can will have the elbow, but the production prop he has access to has a flat bottom, so sounds like that's what they're going with. No telling if that prop is actually the hero, but looking at what's on screen, I believe the Citywalk prop.

Please, do share these!

I was only trying to help. Here are the photos I took in Hollywood. As you can see the bottom is concave. The inside of the can also has no thread visible. They either mimed the screwing on and off of the can or they switched cans. In My conversation with Michael Lantieri he said "the cryocan was built on set and then approved same day, very rare for a prop to be approved that fast but Speilberg gave it the OK" and the rest was history.

Regarding the run I don't actually make the cans personally I just promote them for RB Replicas. The “adding this to MK 111 run of our cans” bit was me passing on that there may be another small run planned, but probably not now because the license is with Chronicle and I don't want to step on any toes.

Paul​

Last edited by a moderator:
Did you forget something? ;)

Lol for some reason it wouldn't let me post them. I thought, surely I couldn't be blocked for offering to help :lol

IMG_0725.JPGIMG_0727.JPGIMG_0723.JPGIMG_0728.JPG

Paul

Lol for some reason it wouldn't let me post them. I thought, surely I couldn't be blocked for offering to help :lol

View attachment 835194View attachment 835195View attachment 835193View attachment 835196

Paul

As you can see the bottom is concave and is literally the bottom of the real can. It's glued/welded pretty badly but in good shape for a 26 year old prop. It's interesting you mentioned that the one that CC has, has a flat bottom, I wonder if this was the switched can for the unscrewing scene. A lot of good detective work in this thread, so I wish you all well for your future builds :)

Paul​

As you can see the bottom is concave and is literally the bottom of the real cryocan. It's glued/welded pretty badly but in good shape for a 26 year old prop. It's interesting you mentioned that the one that CC has, has a flat bottom, I wonder if this was the switched can for the unscrewing scene. A lot of good detective work in this thread, so I wish you all well for your future builds :)

Paul​

Nice work! Saved these right to Gdrive. There it is folks, I think we have THE hero here.

Ohhh crap! My heart just skipped a dozen beats. I was zoomed in on the bottom of the Citywalk can above, and just noticed a bit of text there, next to a black scuff mark, and thinking "cool! now we know what's written on there!" But the text and scuff kind of forms a little fish hook shape...which reminded me of the text I was focusing on when looking at the bottom of the can when Dodgson works the mechanism... like a little fish hook! Could we in fact be looking at the exact prop held in that shot? You be the judge.

fishHook.jpg

Last edited:
All is well then, because I can assure you a lot of eyes are on this prop right now, and its intellectual property will be strictly enforced

Regarding the run I don't actually make the cans personally I just promote them for RB Replicas. The “adding this to MK 111 run of our cans” bit was me passing on that there may be another small run planned, but probably not now because the license is with Chronicle and I don't want to step on any toes.

Paul​

Thanks for the photos! I will be very disappointed if the licensed one is missing the concave bottom. I'd like to avoid accurizing it myself.

I bet an enterprising individual can make a "retrofit conical piece" for Rylo's cans that would just sit over the inner tube and between the two plates... Maybe a set screw (I think I saw one in the pictures) to prevent it from moving around...

I bet an enterprising individual can make a "retrofit conical piece" for Rylo's cans that would just sit over the inner tube and between the two plates... Maybe a set screw (I think I saw one in the pictures) to prevent it from moving around...

Now that the Chronicle one is definitely not getting made, I'm wondering if there's anyone around here that would be willing to do it. I'd certainly be interested in one.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back