Bob the Alien (Giger inspired Alien)

Re: Bob the Alien (Giger inspired Alien) Sculpting finished page 45

If I don't have any success doing it by hand, I'll have no choice but to build a rotocaster frame of some sort, even if I have to spin it by hand to start with.

Mate, it is going to be as heavy as ****. You got big arms, right? :)

I've chosen to keep to the partitioned mould & made a start:
617.JPG

618.JPG

This is the first two skin coats, no thixo :)

Last edited:

Deep breaths now. LOL.

As you add weight, watch out for any signs of deformation or instability.

Deep breaths now. LOL.

As you add weight, watch out for any signs of deformation or instability.

He shouldn't deform or sag, he has a vertical sheet of hardboard running right through the middle of his head, however I have added some small bits of wood under the front since I took those pic's just to be on the safe side :)
I'm about half way through the thixo bit now. All the spines are covered & the flange is built up to thickness. Really I've just got to do the smooth parts either side of his head, smooth it off a bit & then one non-thixo coat & its done.
Its so time consuming! Since I'm mixing up 200g at a time I'm having to keep mixing up as I'm getting through it quickly on something this size.
I don't know what they put in the thixo but its having a strange reaction in me! It does have warning signs all over it, Prehaps I should open a window :lol
I've had Radiohead keeping me company all day & I'm enjoying myself :)

Errrr - dude YES, open windows. You're playing with a bunch of organic chemistry there. What sort of reaction? Been ages since I looked at an MSDS for that stuff; your supplier send you any?

Glad you're having fun, lol. Why only 200g - using a lot of thixo?

Glad you're having fun, lol. Why only 200g - using a lot of thixo?

Its just about the right amount to knock up at a time, it starts getting stringy just as I'm getting to the bottom of the cup. If I knocked any more up I'd end up wasting some as it would be unusable :)

I just looked it up & apparently is has 'octamethylcyclotetrasiloxane' in it. Windows are now open :)

Last edited:

OK, the rubber for this section is done:
620.JPG

621.JPG

Next step will be to cover it in Fiberglass which I might start later on :)

Last edited:

Leigh, is the edge a bit feathered? It looks thin, which might not be any problem at all especially if there is more thickness closer in, but could also be more susceptible to tears than you really want it to be. A lot depends on your silicone, and how you handle it too of course.

Whatever the case...tidy as hell!

How did you get the silicone so smooth after working it, I can see the grooves left by fingers, but when I try that, mine just gets loads of little pixie hats and trapped air :p

How did you get the silicone so smooth after working it, I can see the grooves left by fingers, but when I try that, mine just gets loads of little pixie hats and trapped air :p

I dunno what Leigh does, but I mix a little washing up liquid and water, dip my finger in it and smooth away... a technique I learned from smoothing bathroom silicone when sealing :)

Martyn, I had actually thought about using cheese cloth on the flange.
Its about 6mm or 5/16" on average at the cut edge & at least 3/4" thick at the ends, it gets thicker the further in towards the head it goes. I would say that its at least 8mm thick on the thinnest parts over the head, closer to 10mm or 3/8".
I figured it should be thick enough once reinforced by the jacket.
As far as tears go, I'm very careful when I'm de-moulding. The rubber is the most important part to me & very costly as you know to replace. Keep your fingers crossed eh :D

Last edited:

I dunno what Leigh does, but I mix a little washing up liquid and water, dip my finger in it and smooth away... a technique I learned from smoothing bathroom silicone when sealing :)

With this one I did two skin coats applied with a regular artists brush, then several thixo coats applied with the lollypop sticks & finally one more non-thixo coat again applied with the brush. I don't use my fingers at all but I have trimmed the edge once its dry. :)

Just whatever you do Leigh don't ever let that skin turn inside out, lol. I hope your jacket will grip it well too, the ridges are for that I assume? Things are sounding and looking damn good! :thumbsup

Last edited:

Just whatever you do Leigh don't turn that skin inside out, lol. I hope your jacket will grip it well too. Things are sounding and looking good though. :thumbsup

Thanks man :)

Here's the spec on the rubber I'm using:

Outstanding release properties
High Flowabilty and long woring time
Medium Hardness
High tear resistance
High elasticity for easy removal of complex replica parts
Can be made thixotropic (non flowable) for vertical surface replication
Cured Properties of MBFG Silicone

Mix Ratio : 100:10
Working Time : 40-60 Minutes
De-Mould Time : 12-24 Hours
Mixed Viscosity mPas : 18000
Hardness Shore A : 27
Tensile Strength Mpa : 3.0
Elongation @ Break % : 520
Tear Strength kN/m : 23
Linear Shrinkage & : 0.2-0.4

hey leigh its so nice to see how good your work goes forward!!!!!i just can say AMAZING!!!!!!!

This is my first post here and the first thread I read every post on and I must say I am incredibly impressed and inspired! Keep it up!

hey leigh its so nice to see how good your work goes forward!!!!!i just can say AMAZING!!!!!!!

Thanks Flo :)

This is my first post here and the first thread I read every post on and I must say I am incredibly impressed and inspired! Keep it up!

Thank you for the kind words & I'm glad you enjoyed the thread :)

Welcome to The RPF :)

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back