Bandai 1/72 PG Millennium Falcon (also the Revell Germany rebox)

Re: Bandai 1/72 Millennium Falcon

I thought this may be helpful to some. Here is a paint swatch I did to compare Tamiya AS-20 with Archive-X Reefer white. Both are painted onto black primer with a white strip for color balance. The black primer definitely makes the colors more grey.
View attachment 798727

Thanks for that

It is weird though how different AS-20 looks here compared to my Fine Molds Falcon.

I used AS-20 on it, but went over a base of AS-16 (Light Grey) which in turn was over grey plastic
Maybe the pic isn't properly color balanced, but it looks how it appears in person to me
I tried to get both sunlit and shade areas

but then again, here is straight AS-20 onto the Bandai plastic which does appear a closer match to your swatch, but for me, does not really look like that in person

It is more like this in person

The only difference I think is the amount of sunlight on it

Thanks for that

It is weird though how different AS-20 looks here compared to my Fine Molds Falcon.

I used AS-20 on it, but went over a base of AS-16 (Light Grey) which in turn was over grey plastic
Maybe the pic isn't properly color balanced, but it looks how it appears in person to me
I tried to get both sunlit and shade areas
http://i.imgur.com/b2jhNQjm.jpg

but then again, here is straight AS-20 onto the Bandai plastic which does appear a closer match to your swatch, but for me, does not really look like that in person
http://i.imgur.com/4VEoZ9Gm.jpg

It is more like this in person
http://i.imgur.com/SFhHZJ0m.jpg

The only difference I think is the amount of sunlight on it
I think part of it is having the swatch next to the other colors throws off your perception. I look at it and think, is AS-20 really that tan? Then I hold it up to something I painted AS-20 and then it matches. The brain is so weird!

Bandai 1/72 Millennium Falcon

I think part of it is having the swatch next to the other colors throws off your perception. I look at it and think, is AS-20 really that tan? Then I hold it up to something I painted AS-20 and then it matches. The brain is so weird!

Lighting plays a big part too.

Fluorescent lighting
b26d233d97ed08ab723f96d8d3383f6f.jpg

Warm soft light
e31874cea1133317474d941fc20a4c86.jpg

Natural
c4919cfb645a8c4d83fa3a597e7951ca.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

I went search back though the thread for the discussion re: milky white acrylic/plastic for the engines. Apart from cutting up milk jugs and such was there a source for a more accurate solid panel for the engine?

2mm white acrylic would look pretty convincing. Milk jugs have a slight texture and are slightly wavy as the plastic is so thin. Someone here did a gridless OT engine as I recall.

2mm white acrylic would look pretty convincing. Milk jugs have a slight texture and are slightly wavy as the plastic is so thin. Someone here did a gridless OT engine as I recall.

I know it's really not what you're looking for, but I ended up using a section of curved, white foam as a diffuser for my engines...granted, I added my own LED's in favor of the stock lighting option, as I desired something much brighter, and color changing...but I think it looked great.

The foam I used came from a custom lightsaber project I had been working on.

I'll chime in on this...You guys familiar with the Evergreen 8x10 ish thin sheets of styrene? There is an outfit in NY called Curbell Plastics, they have sheets the same size and thickness made of "light diffusing" acrylic. I've been using it for a couple years now. One sheet will last you for like 8+ Falcon builds. I would recommend looking into that, the results are excellent. I'll look and see if I still have a rear shot of my last MPC bird for an example...

f5-14.JPGf5-9.JPGf5-15.JPGThis an MPC bird with HH Miniatures side walls, and everything else is Tony 308 Bits. This build has probably 25% of the box stock parts. Anyway...you can see how well the light is diffused and even. Like anything else though, as thin as it is, you need to place your LED's at least 2 inches back to avoid "hot spots" this one has 5, 3mm white LED's behind it that I roughed up with emery paper, then used a blue sharpie to color them. The blue LED's are TOO blue. Of course for full on "in flight" versions, I've used the bright white to get the glaring white. just a suggestion :)

I went search back though the thread for the discussion re: milky white acrylic/plastic for the engines. Apart from cutting up milk jugs and such was there a source for a more accurate solid panel for the engine?

I used a sheet of .118 white acrylic that I bought at a home improvement store (Menards). It's the perfect thickness, opacity, and has a glossy surface that looks exactly like the milk glass used on the 5-footer. After cutting a long strip the right width, I used a heat gun to carefully soften and bend the acrylic over a form with the correct circumference (a metal stock pot). It took two tries to get a good curve. Then I used two rows of strip LED tape stuck directly onto Bandai's diffusers. It looks pretty close to the original.
HOJ Falcon Engine 1.jpgHOJ Falcon Engine 2.jpgHOJ Falcon Engine 3.jpgHOJ Falcon Engine 4.jpgHOJ Falcon Engine 5.jpgHOJ Falcon Engine 6.jpgHOJ Falcon Engine 7.jpgHOJ Falcon Engine 8.jpgHOJ Falcon Engine 9.jpg
It was pretty simple to do. If for some reason you don't have the tools to cut and bend the acrylic, send me a PM and maybe we can work something out. I've got a giant sheet of this stuff left over!

Sounds awesome Hunk o Junk! I've done something similar in the past with the thicker stuff. What I did was made a quarter moon piece of 2x4 and sanded it to the correct curve, cut the strip, heated the oven to 300 degrees, then placed in the oven with the strip balanced on the center of the wood block. watched it till it started to droop, then reached in the oven with my welding gloves and helped it down to the curve and held it for a few seconds, then pulled it out of the oven and continued to hold it till it cooled. probably a cumbersome way to do it, but it worked. After that I went to the thinner stuff and moved the LED's further back. The glow you have pictures here looks awesome and even, top work man!! :thumbsup
I used a sheet of .118 white acrylic that I bought at a home improvement store (Menards). It's the perfect thickness, opacity, and has a glossy surface that looks exactly like the milk glass used on the 5-footer. After cutting a long strip the right width, I used a heat gun to carefully soften and bend the acrylic over a form with the correct circumference (a metal stock pot). It took two tries to get a good curve. Then I used two rows of strip LED tape stuck directly onto Bandai's diffusers. It looks pretty close to the original.
View attachment 798957View attachment 798958View attachment 798959View attachment 798960View attachment 798961View attachment 798962View attachment 798963View attachment 798964View attachment 798965
It was pretty simple to do. If for some reason you don't have the tools to cut and bend the acrylic, send me a PM and maybe we can work something out. I've got a giant sheet of this stuff left over!

Is this a mod that could be done after the kit has been built? Can the acrylic strip be installed over the existing engine grid?

That's great Hunk a Junk, I have four different Menards near me! What section did you find the material and how did you cut it?

Is this a mod that could be done after the kit has been built? Can the acrylic strip be installed over the existing engine grid?

Not sure because I never built or installed the grid. The acrylic is on the thicker side, so my guess would be no. Can the grid pieces be removed?

That's great Hunk a Junk, I have four different Menards near me! What section did you find the material and how did you cut it?

At the store I went to they had a rack of clear plexiglass and acrylic sheets in the windows and doors department. I'm sure an employee would take you right to it. The sheet I got was 18x24 inches and I cut two strips on my band saw about an inch wide and a foot long(ish). I've got plenty left for my next ten Falcon builds. :p

I notice in your closeup you have yours cut just a little extra high, is that an initial fit that you corrected or did you need the extra?

I notice in your closeup you have yours cut just a little extra high, is that an initial fit that you corrected or did you need the extra?

That was the initial fit. On the second attempt, the one now on the model, I cut it closer to the right width and then did some power sanding after it was bent.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back