Eliminating seams (particularly on the BSG mkII viper.)

JLKahn

Been all over the web, read all the material. And still I can't seem to get rid of the annoying seams where two parts join together. I am currently working on a BSG viper and the seam that goes along the whole fuselage will just not disappear no matter how hard I try to sand, putty, fill the gaps with superglue ect. Is there some super secrete trick I am missing when it comes to getting rid of fuselage seams? I've had success getting rid of part seams on plenty of other kits, but for some reason the 1/32 BSG viper and 1/72 vipers fuselage seam is particularly stubborn (yes I can't get rid of that seam in both scales). Are there some kits that are just more stubborn than others when it comes to getting rid of the seam where two parts meet? Something to do with maybe the plastic? The plastic on both kits is kinda on the thick side.

Fill and sand. Fill and sand. Apply primer. Fill and sand. Fill and sand....... You'll get there in the end.
Just be careful. Some types of superglue can result in "issues" with the plastic used in these kits.

Fill and sand. Fill and sand. Apply primer. Fill and sand. Fill and sand....... You'll get there in the end.
Just be careful. Some types of superglue can result in "issues" with the plastic used in these kits.

Was afraid that might be the only answer. Also I wonder if it's the type of paint I'm using. I'm told acrylic dries thinner than enamel. I know enamel, other than taking a long time to dry and being really toxic, can also obscure surface detail. So I'm wondering is it a better type of paint to use when trying to get rid of really nasty difficult seams?

Unfortunate, I know.Acrylic is thinner, but it also gives a better result(in my opinion). Use the primer as a guide to removing the join lines and don't waste topcoat.

I find that the flexifile system is good for eliminating seams, worked across the seam and progressively along, but it is always fill, prime, sand. . .really. Using different colours of primer can make it easier to identify high and low spots. Finding the right filler makes the process less tedious, try to use something that sands like the kit's material. Cyano can create hard spots and some popular model fillers are soft enough to crumble, leaving you repairing the filled area. Car body putty is usually fine for shallow fills ( best to avoid cellulose ones) and two part putties best for deeper fills. You may find the you tube videos from aircraft and military modellers helpful.

Paul Budzik's filling method is one that I use for particularly stubborn cases, and it works well for me:

Last edited by a moderator:
Paul Budzik's filling method is one that I use for particularly stubborn cases, and it works well for me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WajXJPPyE8

Interesting. I definitely think the biggest problem I am having is the plastic not being hard enough by the time I start sanding. I suppose I should cement the parts and then plan to wait a few days on areas where the elimination of the seam is critical. I guess there is no fast way to get things accomplished if you want a great model. What are peoples preferred cements here? For the longest time I used Testor's model master, but I recently started experimenting around with other brands like squadron and tamaya. Squadron and Tamaya definitely seem to dry very fast, but sometimes the cement evaporates before I can even close the parts up!

Tamiya extra thin for me. You don't apply to the parts separately, you fit them together and then apply the glue to the join. It's so thin it wicks into the joint via capillary action.

Interesting. I definitely think the biggest problem I am having is the plastic not being hard enough by the time I start sanding. I suppose I should cement the parts and then plan to wait a few days on areas where the elimination of the seam is critical. I guess there is no fast way to get things accomplished if you want a great model. What are peoples preferred cements here? For the longest time I used Testor's model master, but I recently started experimenting around with other brands like squadron and tamaya. Squadron and Tamaya definitely seem to dry very fast, but sometimes the cement evaporates before I can even close the parts up!

One thing that has worked for me is hand painting the seam with a brush and hand sanding the paint down... but usually i use spot glazing putty and sanding. ..

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back