Hunk A Junk's complete heresy 1/350 TOS E build

Whos gonna argue with Kerr about accuracy??? well a lot of people actually :)

Really? Who are these people? :lol Because over on HobbyTalk a couple months ago I made a comment about Round2's new "color guide" for the E that some people mistakenly interpreted as a personal slam against Gary and suddenly it seemed I had every member POed at me for daring to question him (even though that wasn't what I was doing). :facepalm

In this case, I believe the orange striping is correct. I'm taking liberty in some places, but where I can I still want to get details right.

you gotta look at your audience. I know many a trek person that wanted to hunt down Gary and tar and Feather him after the previous restoration of the E... I looked at it and just shook my head. the new restoration with the in depth sampling they did wit the paint layers to ID the colors of the several paint jobs the gal has gone through - that I trust. Science man, Science.

As for R2's paint guide... It'll get you close. close enough for all but the most anal...

As for the lower saucer rings - we can agreeable - agree to disagree :) there is "something" on those rings .. but in my opinion it isn't orange. maybe something like the mostly painted over copper around the edges of the sensor dish housing - that I might get behind... with a bit more research :)

But back on Topic - the mustard ornage color you used does look cool :)
Jedi Dade

Last edited:
As for R2's paint guide... It'll get you close. close enough for all but the most anal...
\
Jedi Dade

Well, the issue was that when the restoration started, Gary had posted a suggestion that everyone stop building their models because they'd found new information on the paint colors. So I stopped my build figuring, hey, why not wait and maybe there will be a cool new nugget of info, like the orange striping on the saucer. When the restoration was complete, the Smithsonian posted some color matches to house paint swatches, but there were no equivalent matches for model paint. Then R2 announced the smooth anniversary kit and promised an updated paint guide based on the restoration. By December, there was still no information out there, so I basically asked "what's the hold up?" It seemed to me that R2 was protecting this information so they could make it a selling point on their re-popped kit when here I'd already paid them hundreds of dollars on a kit and all the accessories. I thought it would be no-brainer good customer service to those who already purchased the kit for R2 to simply post the new color matches on their blog or something. What I didn't know was that Gary was working on his series of magazine articles about the restoration and he mistakenly believed I was slamming him personally for not working fast enough to reveal the new paint information -- or something. Next thing I know, members are ranting that I wanted "free stuff" and taking me to task for being mean to Gary and yada, yada, yada. Turns out, R2's guide didn't have any model paint matches anyway, so the whole thing was a farce. Unfortunate nonsense all around.

Anyway, lesson learned. Be less anal. Just paint the damn model.

Excellent work.

It's your model, have at it however you want. Large, monochromatic surfaces beg to be broken up with something for your eye to show interest in. On Earth based items, you can weather, add items, etc. to get the variation but there's not much to do on a sleek starship that never sees an atmosphere.

It's an extremely difficult technique you are trying here and you're pulling it off nicely.

I too was originally planning on going pure study model, even filling the left side windows, etc. but in the end I'm just going to have fun with it.

You'll have an eye pleasing, unique build when you're done.

Thanks Ausf!

An observation about painting the layers with an overspray. Each dusting coat leaves a pebbly surface texture that gets augmented with each subsequent layer. I would've done a little wet sanding to smooth out the layers, but I was worried about sanding the edges of the raised foil hull panels I've added. I guess I'll just have to rationalize the rough texture as micro-meteoroid impacts from five years in space! :angel

If anyone has used the Round 2 photo etch grills on the inner pylons, what adhesive did you use to make them stick? I don't want anything goopy that it oozes up through the mesh.

I've finished the build (aside from a few minor tweaks) and I'll get some decent pix posted soon. For now, here's a crappy teaser shot. HOJFinal1.jpg

I dunno... nothing heretical about that really :)

When it comes to certain subjects (and certain modelers) the line between acceptable and heresy can be pretty thin. :lol

But, yeah, the idea was that at first glance the ship would appear "normal" but reveal more details up close.

I normally don't necromance older threads, but I had to comment in this... I have seen many many videos and build threads on the TOS and Refit and I have to say I think this is the best paint job I have seen! I love the subtle panels. It gives it an added depth and just seems more natural and realistic. I like that you decided not to use the traditional aztec pattern since I think (to me) that design doesn't fit this era. I have seen TOS builds with the Refit style aztecs and it just doesn't look right nor does it look like what was in the series... original or remastered, This looks perfect! It looks like hull plating, but also is very very subtle. I can imagine if the original series had the technology and it would have shown on film, that this is the look they would have gone with!

Outstanding job! (I plan on stealing your technique for my own build ;) )

I normally don't necromance older threads, but I had to comment in this... I have seen many many videos and build threads on the TOS and Refit and I have to say I think this is the best paint job I have seen! I love the subtle panels. It gives it an added depth and just seems more natural and realistic. I like that you decided not to use the traditional aztec pattern since I think (to me) that design doesn't fit this era. I have seen TOS builds with the Refit style aztecs and it just doesn't look right nor does it look like what was in the series... original or remastered, This looks perfect! It looks like hull plating, but also is very very subtle. I can imagine if the original series had the technology and it would have shown on film, that this is the look they would have gone with!

Outstanding job! (I plan on stealing your technique for my own build ;) )

Hey, thanks man! Way too kind. Steal away!

Resurrecting this thread reminds me I still need to do my little tweaks (there's a light leak at the base of the dorsal that bugs me to no end). If I wasn't obsessing about the PG Falcon, I'd be done by now. What's interesting (at least to me) is that I took the exact opposite approach on the E as I'm doing on the Falcon. I painted the E as if it were the "real" ship, using the Smithsonian colors and details as a guide. On the Falcon, I'm modeling the ILM miniature, flaws and all. Different challenges, both fun.

This is a terrific inspiration, and what I'd been planning for my 2260s 1:350 Enterprise (doing my takes on each of the three "lives" of NCC-1701, roughly twenty years apart -- 2245, 2265, and 2285... birth, midlife, and death). Only you have done in practice what is still only in my head. I don't know that I'll do even the faintly-raised foil tape approach. I'm going smooth -- but still with the paneling and plating and heterogeneous hull materials. You nailed it. :) Hope mine will make a favorable companion piece.

--Jonah

Fantastic build, the hull plating is subtle and a tasteful artistic license.

Did you use any extra re-enforcement inside the neck and pylons? I've been looking for a source for the Ent-A.

Fantastic build, the hull plating is subtle and a tasteful artistic license.

Did you use any extra re-enforcement inside the neck and pylons? I've been looking for a source for the Ent-A.

No extra reinforcements, but the TOS E kit was engineered with droop in mind, so it's holding up well. The Refit kit, however, is a different animal. That kit has been in my stash for fifteen years because I know I need to build it with an interior support structure. One of these days I'll get to it.

Hunk a Junk... question...

Why did you go with green? Was it because of the slight greenish hue the TOS has? (Sometimes it looks bluish to me in certain shots)
In MY opinion, THIS is what the TOS Connie in Discovery should have looked like. Just imagine the TOS Enterprise done up like this with modern CGI FX and lighting so it looked like a real vessel! Don't get me wrong, I really like the look of the 'reimagined' Connie, but it just doesn't fit with canon. Trek Yards has a really good enhanced video of the DSC Connie that shows the most detail. Even though I disagree with the change, I love the design. I can't wait for a kit to come out!

Hunk a Junk... question...

Why did you go with green?

I was trying to keep the overall color a rough approximation of the colors the restoration crew used on the Smithsonian repaint.
gallery-1467144815-starshipenterprise.jpg
Since I used a combination of greens and grays for the aztecs, the final ship looks greener or grayer depending on viewing angle, lighting, etc. I wanted to find a balance between the way the studio model looks in real life, its on-screen appearance in original footage, its remastered CG on-screen appearance, and what the "real" ship would look like. I achieved all and none of those goals, depending on your point of view! :lol

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back