District 9 Assault Rifle Build - Finished! (Pic heavy)

District 9 Assault Rifle Build (3D kit)

oh man, really no luck on that build... I guess sanding would work fine.
I know that water based paints on top of not totally cured oil based paint will do something like that. but it seems weird it just did it on the orange. was the orange oil based?
good luck mate. Seriously, seen from here it really looks great and I'm sure that once the orange peeling fixed it will look terrific!

Thanks mate. I’m pretty sure it’ll look alright once sanded. Again. Not accurate to the Weta replica, but not much of this is anyway! Kinda nice to be my own take on it. Even if half the finish wasn’t as intended.

The orange is Krylon all purpose, as is the back and the white. The clear is all purpose Rostomleum. All I believe are enamel. So no reason why the orange should have reacted like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: District 9 Assault Rifle Build (3D kit)

Ok, some good news finally... the orange peeling wasn't the orange paint reacting to the clear coat, but rather the clear coat itself. Which makes sense I guess. So when I sanded it, it went back to smooth orange. I was then able to carefully and slowly add thin layers of clear back on without any reaction...

gkNU8SK.jpg

nWTgtXI.jpg

M9mtj4U.jpg

Which makes me think I must have gone too thick, too fast to begin with. So anyway, happy with it now. We are postponing our Toronto trip, so I'll let this sit overnight then final assembly. The nozzles all have to go on, then drill a hole in the front for the barrel attachment I made. Then the large cylinder, which I'm still thinking through... Bill cast a bolt and screw into his mold so he could screw on and off the large cylinder, making it easier for transport. As we'll be moving around for a bit, something like that could be good. But even just for strength, a bolt or piece of dowel wouldn't go astray.

Then finally the stand. Yet to visit the workshop for ideas for the baseboard, but I'll work on this tomorrow.

Couldn't find anything fancy for the stand base, but I can always add to it later.

uROWcK4.jpg

Because the dark metallic grey is such a great colour, I decided to use it for the base. First up a base coat of black...

v00fx03.jpg

Then the grey. I also made the stands out of spare couch legs and a couple of garage hanger u-hooks. Gave the white legs some orange love...

5fTck54.jpg

Because I used the vinyl alien graphics as stencils, it meant I still had all the inserts. And while I didn't specify a vinyl colour as it didn't really matter, they just happened to give me silver. Perfect for adding details to the stand legs...

gXEadXn.jpg

Drilled a hole in the cylinder for a dowel...

8fqYlhy.jpg

Dowel added (bit off an arial)...

i9QsH0M.jpg

Fitted to the gun...

HIcEZ1C.jpg

Lower barrel thingy mounted...

OnEhdMV.jpg

Upper barrel glued into place...

PrrINfK.jpg

Used some cardboard as a template to ensure all the nozzles got glued at the same angle...

tL9bBKx.jpg

Finally a bit of dry-brushing. I love how it makes the black edges pop. Before...

zntGpuu.jpg

After...

uC2wsLu.jpg

That's it! Next up the finished pics...

Your a trooper bro. If that paint scare would have happened to me. not sure what I would have done. very nice recovery! looks awesome! :thumbsup

Your a trooper bro. If that paint scare would have happened to me. not sure what I would have done. very nice recovery! looks awesome! :thumbsup

Thanks bro! I’m feeling like a bit of a trooper too as I’ve been pretty sick the last couple days. Nasty head cold. Pulling that all-nighter didn’t help! Ha ha.

- - - Updated - - -

And here she is, in all her grubby glory...

Z7DWUBe.jpg

WAHPKkR.jpg

k7l0SIx.jpg

ALI5KoZ.jpg

Ynsrnge.jpg

o8ss1K7.jpg

AgkYIO1.jpg

fFtwCby.jpg

C8EK9os.jpg

rYFEBDH.jpg

07RpCnK.jpg

vg7S9lq.jpg

pD2soQv.jpg

tShdfMu.jpg

eqCWhDw.jpg

utV7LJb.jpg

5lW3YIM.jpg

WOu0aOT.jpg

FXbwKNo.jpg

2ZlkCPK.jpg

H6SKM8a.jpg

i2OvFZC.jpg

LZ9ayhM.jpg

9RyI9Ln.jpg

All done. Except for the silver sharpie weathering as my son used up my sharpie weathering his transformers. Ha ha, taking after his dad I guess. So that will be a small little add-on I'll do another day.

Now that it's all together, I actually really like the finish and I'm pretty dam happy with it overall. A rather huge project, but as I've wanted one of these forever, it's been totally worth it. Hope you like it guys. Cheers.

Hope you feel better real soon my friend. get some rest when you can..

damit ! now I got to get me one of those....:lol

mate !! great come back after the paint fail :thumbsup That has turned out really nice, ill have to get my butt into gear and finish the arc generator !! I bet it looks quite imposing in real life :D

final pictures are awesome. congrats mate :thumbsup

Absolutely amazing work. It’s beautiful! All that work paid off! Did you have those stencils done locally or did you purchase them from somewhere? I am hoping to build my own soon.

Congrats on the splendid build Tarry, especially with the paint job and weathering. It's a beauty.

damit ! now I got to get me one of those....:lol

Do it bro! Ha ha, it wouldn't surprise me if your and my collection already looked identical! :lol

- - - Updated - - -

mate !! great come back after the paint fail :thumbsup That has turned out really nice, ill have to get my butt into gear and finish the arc generator !! I bet it looks quite imposing in real life :D

Yeah the sheer size of this thing is impressive. And of course the colour scheme. Keep up the good work on the Arc Gen! On that note, might have to see if I can scab your print files... ;)

- - - Updated - - -

That turned out really nice. Well done! :thumbsup

Thank you kind sir. I'm actually really happy with it now. I find myself staring at it for ages. Lol.

- - - Updated - - -

Looks awesome, great work. Thanks for sharing!

Thanks mate! And thanks for your help too. Very much appreciated.

- - - Updated - - -

final pictures are awesome. congrats mate :thumbsup

Thank you. Was a heck of a project, but totally worth it. Couldn't imagine a scratch build like what Ziga or Bill from Punished Props did... sheesh! Those guys are the real legends.

- - - Updated - - -

Absolutely amazing work. It’s beautiful! All that work paid off! Did you have those stencils done locally or did you purchase them from somewhere? I am hoping to build my own soon.

Thanks mate. Have a look through the build, the stencils were very graciously given to me by Bill from Punished Props.

- - - Updated - - -

Congrats on the splendid build Tarry, especially with the paint job and weathering. It's a beauty.

Thank you sir for your comments. I'm honoured.

Last edited by a moderator:
Couple of comparison shots for fun. Before and after...

0nQfNOJ.jpg

Ane here she is next to the Weta replica...

iN3hDxM.jpg

Comparing these 2 versions the biggest and most obvious difference is the size of the main cylinder. On the Weta version it is much larger. Ironically, I find that I actually prefer the proportions of the 3d kit. While not screen accurate, I find the size of the cylinder is better, in relation to the rest of the gun. The cylinder on the Weta replica looks oversize and out of proportion. Of course it's not (and don't tell Greg from Weta that I said that! Ha ha), but it does look too big to me compared to the kit. Whereas, the smaller cylinder above the grip is better on the Weta version. It's too small on the 3d kit and I prefer the size of the Weta version.

Tell me what you guys think.

Couple of comparison shots for fun. Before and after...

https://i.imgur.com/0nQfNOJ.jpg

Ane here she is next to the Weta replica...

https://i.imgur.com/iN3hDxM.jpg

Comparing these 2 versions the biggest and most obvious difference is the size of the main cylinder. On the Weta version it is much larger. Ironically, I find that I actually prefer the proportions of the 3d kit. While not screen accurate, I find the size of the cylinder is better, in relation to the rest of the gun. The cylinder on the Weta replica looks oversize and out of proportion. Of course it's not (and don't tell Greg from Weta that I said that! Ha ha), but it does look too big to me compared to the kit. Whereas, the smaller cylinder above the grip is better on the Weta version. It's too small on the 3d kit and I prefer the size of the Weta version.

Tell me what you guys think.

I would have to agree with you. the one on top no big deal to me anyway. but the one on the bottom. i like your proportions better. but that's just silly me. you nailed It man!

I would have to agree with you. the one on top no big deal to me anyway. but the one on the bottom. i like your proportions better. but that's just silly me. you nailed It man!

Thanks mate. Appreciate it.

Merry Christmas!

Hello, inspired by your work I am thinking on purchasing the 3D kit or maybe printing some myself, I went to a place online and saw a kit,from Croatia, but I couldn't help to think the pictures that they show are from your work,you could PM me for the link(or perhaps they have your authorization)

Hello, inspired by your work I am thinking on purchasing the 3D kit or maybe printing some myself, I went to a place online and saw a kit,from Croatia, but I couldn't help to think the pictures that they show are from your work,you could PM me for the link(or perhaps they have your authorization)

Thanks for the heads up, but yeah that's my guy. We're currently thinking through the D9 Submachine Gun!

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back