Building the BR Voight Kampf Machine - Completed for molding - 8/8/12

I am actually working on it right now, with the intention of selling it when complete. There won't be any kits, I tried to go that route, and it set me back years :behave

Really am working on finishing this, honest!!

mccec3.jpg

Last edited:
Hard to see your V.K. in that blurry pic...as for creating/building a prop as a kit, the tooling is crazy and the work involved will demand a high price (and I'm talking about a static prop only). Good luck mate!

Apologies for the crappy pics, cheap phone, and my SLR doesn't have a flash. When it's all done, I will set up my lights and get proper shots. Currently working on the whole 'eye' section.

Originally this was intended to be moulded and cast in resin, and would incorporate the lights made by the Canadian (?) guy, so it was largely based on the 'closeup' version (the electronics are designed to fit that one.)

dng45h.jpg

Looking good Birdie. Yes, the lights are from Canada. While I have no problems building that prop (the future will see another V.K. Machine more accurate than my last one) it's the electronics and the screens that scare me the most.:confused

Not bad at all Birdie...now onto the next one;) For people mentioning kitting that machine: good luck and many sleepless night ahead:rolleyes Not for the faint of heart. 3-D printing some of the parts are a must: arm, eye piece, buttons, wheels, main screen frame and the 2 small screens. Vacu-forms: main body + 5 bellows. Build: small box (the one with the 2 small screens) ...and I'm not even talking about the video/electronics you'll need to actually have a screen accurate prop!

That's really an impressive replica!

Not easy to build something w/o the clear photos we've come to expect, as in Star Trek & Star Wars guides.
You're to be commended.

Had I seen this earlier as you were building this I'd have pointed out that those white, illuminated buttons are probably from an old U-matic VTR,
like we used in the 80's. Sony BVU-800 & 900 series.

Sony BVU-850 WS.jpgSony BVU-950 panel.jpg

Hi Birdie,you commented somewhere that you have production photos and Mike's contact. Any chance you could share this? I am trying to source the screens to see , if I could attempt a workable model.

Great work! Where are the various builds at? Has anyone attempted to put out a kit yet?

There's a few builds to be found here, and over at Prop-Summit. And yes, there have been a few attempts at making a kit available that have proven logistically insurmountable. My own build spent nearly two years in the US awaiting the creation of moulds, which failed to happen. It's a man's job, sir ;)

Yep, as Birdie said: "It's a Man's Job";) LearnByMaking is making, as we speak, a workable V.K. machine ! Servos, light bars, screens and other crazy things too numerous to list at Propsummit, as well as another member (helped by your truly). I know that I sound like a broken record when I say: this prop is way more difficult than it seems at first glance.
The amount of complexities on that one can be a serious head scratcher. Everything has to come together at once and that's where this prop is a bitch to do:behave Just ask Mike Fink, Mark Stetson, or others who had just 3 days to build it!

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back