HELP painting polyurethane helmet?

Frid4y

Hi guys i recently bought a nice and perfect polyurethane resin ironman mark46 helmet and i read on the web about some problems which involve polyurethane resin and spraypaint. Do you guys have a step by step guide on how to proceed on this material? i dont want to mess up everything :)

Thanks!

REALLY? 2 DAYS WITHOUT ANSWERS?! this is the 2nd time i'm posting this thread and among all the community nobody seems to know a ******* way to paint a polyurethane thing, come on.
I see threads opened 5mins ago with lots of answers and i still can't get one from you.

I asked for your help and i'm getting nothing from you. What a good community, thanks..

But if anybody is so gentle to spend 2mins at this thread i'd be grateful.

Hi Frid4y, I see you're a new member. I don't really know much about what problems you've read. But I'm pretty sure you need to prime it first before you spray paint.

Also, watch your language and behavior. We have rules here, and we'd like to make sure the community is orderly and respectful towards each other. You could get banned for that kind of behavior.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi @Frid4y, I see you're a new member. I don't really know much about what problems you've read. But I'm pretty sure you need to prime it first before you spray paint.

Also, watch your language and behavior. We have rules here, and we'd like to make sure the community is orderly and respectful towards each other. You could get banned for that kind of behavior.

I'm sorry for my behaviour but i'm tired of beign ignored in forums, its been more than a week since i asked for this little help. I received a good amount of views on my thread but nobody answered and its reeeeeeally frustrating.. Btw i know i need to prime the surface at the beginning, other guys did so but some encountered paint problems and i dont wanna ruin my helmet :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks man, im reading lots of methods hehe idk which is the best :p
Hey, mate.
You shouldn't have any problems. Sanding(if you need), primer, scotch brite(3M) with water a little bit, paint, varnish. Also read an instruction on your primer, paint and varnish.

Hey, mate.
You shouldn't have any problems. Sanding(if you need), primer, scotch brite(3M) with water a little bit, paint, varnish. Also read an instruction on your primer, paint and varnish.

Oh finally! Thanks a lot i think i'll use this method. Looks promising. :)
A little question.. What's the difference between sandpaper and scotch brite 3M? are there any advantages with the scotch brite?

Last edited:
Oh finally! Thanks a lot i think i'll use this method. Looks promising. :)
A little question.. What's the difference between sandpaper and scotch brite 3M? are there any advantages with the scotch brite?
Scotch brite with water useful for "light" polish of primer, or paint before varnish. Sandpaper useful for sanding areas before bondo(putty) and after it. You also can find Manuals about scotch brite (3M web site or YouTube), and read about work you can do with this material.
You can show photos of your helmet here. We all love photos:D

Perfect, thanks man! I will work on it when i'll get home :) btw this is my helmet:

IMG_20170731_134618_000.jpg

IMG_20170731_134609_977.jpg

IMG_20170731_134556_207.jpg

Hey, mate.

How many coats of primer and paint should i do? :) i was thinking about 2-3 primer coats and 2 paint coats. Any tip?

2 coats of primer usually most be enough. But, dont do thick coats, thin coats are better. About paint, i usually do 1,5-2 coats, but you need to make good color on whole model. Its better to paint thin coats also, because you can make issues by yourself. Spraypaint has manual on the side, so read it too. Also be sure your paint and primer are from that same company and have that same base(acrilic).

guys i was thinking about cleaning the helmet surface with water mixed with acetone, but i read that it can melt the resin so i would like to know what is the good ratio between water and acetone.

then i will clean up the surface and i will apply the primer, let it dry, and using some light sandpaper to clean the surface a lil bit more, removing dust and paint again with primer and final paint.

guys i was thinking about cleaning the helmet surface with water mixed with acetone, but i read that it can melt the resin so i would like to know what is the good ratio between water and acetone.

then i will clean up the surface and i will apply the primer, let it dry, and using some light sandpaper to clean the surface a lil bit more, removing dust and paint again with primer and final paint.
Maybe you should buy something better for good quality of your paintjob? You can use this https://www.amazon.co.uk/APP-w900-030150-silicone/dp/B004AL0VJ0 or something similar to this. I think water+acetone its 80-90yy of past century, you can use modern technologies today. Also acetone with water can really damage your resin. This experiment doesnt worth of it.

thanks man! :) i didn't know about this product :p
You can find in your town a shop, wich have all products for car\moto body painting. It will be a big plus, because you can buy a small cans of any products you need. No need to buy 1L of antisilicone or pack of 100 special antistatic towels)

You can find in your town a shop, wich have all products for car\moto body painting. It will be a big plus, because you can buy a small cans of any products you need. No need to buy 1L of antisilicone or pack of 100 special antistatic towels)

by using this product i will no longer need to use sandpaper or scotch brite, right? i hope it won't damage the surface of the helmet.. but i think it's done for this purpose. :)
thanks again!

by using this product i will no longer need to use sandpaper or scotch brite, right? i hope it won't damage the surface of the helmet.. but i think it's done for this purpose. :)
thanks again!
i cant answer on this, you need to see it by yourself. You can use sandpaper and scotchbrite, but before primering, before painting, before laquer - use antisilicone product with antistatic towel. It will wash of all of your dust, dirt, etc.
No probl, any time:thumbsup

I've never had too much trouble painting polyurethane except for the occasional fisheye (paint separating).
I give it a wipe with any glass cleaner( make sure it's fully dry afterwards).
Then give it a dust coat (light dry coat of paint to form a barrier between the polyurethane & next coat). The dust coat can't fish eye because it's basically dry the minute it touches the surface. This will be difficult if you're using spray cans instead of a gun.
As for how many coats of primer, it really depends. Give it a coat see how it looks, sand/fill any imperfections & give it another coat if needed. If you've only broken through the primer in small areas you don't have to primer it again before paint if you don't want to (& are sure it's smooth enough).
As for painting the only tip I can give you is that red is a notoriously difficult colour to get good coverage in one coat. I'd advise you to spray the helmet silver first (it'll really make the red pop & save you loads of paint).
Hope that helps

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

UPDATE:

i used light sandpaper to clean well all the surface, then the guy at the shop suggested me to use denatured alcohol first instead of antisiliconic solvent (which i'm gonna buy anyway this afternoon). since i already had my bottle of denatured alcohol at home i decided to give it a try and i cleaned all the helmet with it. then i used water and soap, let it dry, and i used the antistatic towel to finish the job.

i repeated the whole steps 2 times.

at the end i didn't notice much difference on the surface which is still smooth, is that ok?
i mean i know that paint needs to be sprayed on a rough surface (at least a lil bit) in order to get a good result. maybe it's rough at a microscopic level and i can't feel it lol.

if required im gonna use a lil bit of antisiliconic solvent and then primer, sandpaper, and primer again and finally paint. i think it'll work :)

Last edited:
This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back