My Blade Runner Blaster Build an Epic journey!

Re: My PDK Build an Epic journey!

Anonimity, one would think. The serial number is personally attributable to the OP.

I can understand that the serial number on something could be used to identify the owner to the original manufacturer or retailer for the purpose of guarantees and warranty claims or, in the case of firearms, to the authorities. No need to hide that information from ordinary folks like us surely?
It reminds me of when people blank out the licence-plates on an advert for a second-hand car. I don’t get that either.

My curiosity is genuine. Reason being I fully intend to build a real-parts Deckard Steyr pistol here in the UK myself.

I can understand that the serial number on something could be used to identify the owner to the original manufacturer or retailer for the purpose of guarantees and warranty claims or, in the case of firearms, to the authorities. No need to hide that information from ordinary folks like us surely?
It reminds me of when people blank out the licence-plates on an advert for a second-hand car. I don’t get that either.

My curiosity is genuine. Reason being I fully intend to build a real-parts Deckard Steyr pistol here in the UK myself.

Ahh its noting especially exciting, That pic was used before I purchased it and I had posted it on a Blade Runner Facebook page and I didnt want anyone to buy it from under me ;)

So have you had any luck finding parts in the UK, I'm finding it quite a mine field with all the red tape?

Red tape is only a thing buddy. It can always be handled by an expert if you can find one.
A few years ago I spent 18 months building an all-real-parts Obi-wan ep.4 lightsaber from genuine WW1 and WW2 parts, grenades, Rolls Royce jet engine parts etc and I learned one very important lesson from that build; always get the rarest part first. If you buy the easier stuff you may find when you get to the rarest part that lack of available pieces means the project stalls and this can be really disheartening. With that lesson learned I’m currently sneaking slowly on a classic .44spl Charter-Arms Bulldog, with the help of a Section5 firearms importer (if I jump through all the necessary hoops and give them free access to my credit card). If I’m successful it will be deactivated upon arrival in the UK and I can settle down to the easier parts of the project. I see this as a 2-year project. Time will tell. Keep up the good work.

Last edited:

Red tape is only a thing buddy. It can always be handled by an expert if you can find one.
A few years ago I spent 18 months and a couple of grand building an all-real-parts Obi-wan ep.4 lightsaber from genuine WW1 and WW2 parts, grenades, Rolls Royce jet engine parts etc and I learned one very important lesson from that build; always get the rarest part first. If you buy the easier stuff you may find when you get to the rarest part that lack of available pieces means the project stalls and this can be really disheartening. With that lesson learned I’m currently sneaking slowly on a classic .44spl Charter-Arms Bulldog, with the help of a Section5 firearms importer (if I jump through all the necessary hoops and give them free access to my credit card). If I’m successful it will be deactivated upon arrival in the UK and I can settle down to the easier parts of the project. I see this as a 2-year project. Time will tell. Keep up the good work.

Very nice! do you have a build log I can check out for your saber?

Sound advice, I figured the rifle was going to be the hardest part and I now have that squared away with help similar to how you're doing it. I'm currently looking for a Bulldog.

I didn't want to bring it up, but since you're investing so much effort in acquiring the rifle I wanted to point out it's the wrong vintage of the Steyr SL. It all depends on how close you're looking to get, but the one you have will have an incorrect magazine & mag-well, along with the abridged inscription on the side...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I didn't want to bring it up, but since you're investing so much effort in acquiring the rifle I wanted to point out it's the wrong vintage of the Steyr SL. It all depends on how close you're looking to get, but the one you have will have an incorrect magazine & mag-well, along with the abridged inscription on the side...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah I'm going for a non-canon build :)

I figured the rifle was going to be the hardest part
do you have a build log I can check out for your saber?

Whilst they are rare (and very rare with the correct early vintage as mentioned by Veektohr) I do see suitable Mannlichers a couple of times a year. Personally I decided early on that it was the Bulldog that would be the most difficult to obtain so I’m concentrating on that.
As requested, my saber build;
https://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=257076&p=4263765&viewfull=1#post4263765

Last edited:

The cylinder alone will be your nemesis. A cylinder is a Section 1 firearms part requiring both FAC and storage in a police-approved secure cabinet when not in use. I'd like you to succeed in this project but I can't think how.

The cylinder alone will be your nemesis. A cylinder is a Section 1 firearms part requiring both FAC and storage in a police-approved secure cabinet when not in use. I'd like you to succeed in this project but I can't think how.

Maybe snag someones from a Tomen that upgraded to a metal one? That or cast....luckily its a part that could be replicated as a non functioning part very easy.

Why are you calling your "blaster" a PDK instead of PKD ? :p

Indeed!

But to be more precise, THIS is a PK-D:

PKD01.jpg PKD02.jpg PKD03.jpg

It says so right on it!

All you guys that continue to refer to any Blade Runner blaster as a "PKD" should just stop - that designation originated with Rick Ross and it's his (And yes, I am aware of the reality that it's simply too late at this point - the horse has left the gate)

All you guys that continue to refer to any Blade Runner blaster as a "PKD" should just stop - that designation originated with Rick Ross and it's his (And yes, I am aware of the reality that it's simply too late at this point - the horse has left the gate)

Ha Ha Ha.:). That was quite funny. Hey....I have that Kit too.

Indeed!

But to be more precise, THIS is a PK-D:

View attachment 776434 View attachment 776435 View attachment 776436

It says so right on it!

The name PKD has become a generic term for the blaster - in the same way that Hoover become the generic name for any vacuum cleaner.
You are not wrong by any means but this is not uncommon and its not only the fans here who call it by that name - the industry does as well.

The name PKD has become a generic term for the blaster - in the same way that Hoover become the generic name for any vacuum cleaner.
Eh, not so sure about Hoover... I think some better examples would be Band-Aid, Kleenex, Q-Tip, and Xerox (but a couple of those might be more likely here in the US)

its not only the fans here who call it by that name - the industry does as well.
Citation needed! ;)

I just get frustrated that a lot of newcomers to the hobby don't realize what Rick Ross has contributed, and it bugs me.

Citation? LOL all you need to do is read nearly every blog and speak to most of those currently custodian of the original BR props and parts.

I just get frustrated that a lot of newcomers to the hobby don't realize what Rick Ross has contributed, and it bugs me.

Jokes aside, I have to agree with 100% with you here because Rick is a friend and the guy who injected the magic into the BR blaster world. While not accurate I am on record as having said many times that IMO his are aesthetically speaking, the most pleasing blasters ever created. I've spoken to him a few times about the term PKD and he acknowledged that its become a generic reference for the blasters in general.

That said, it is - as you say - vitally important to remember that he is the one who invented the term.
Thank you for reminding us..

M

Why are you calling your "blaster" a PDK instead of PKD ? :p

Oops typo, fixed ;)

On my search yesterday I came across a blank firing one. What are your thoughts on that?

Yes force of habbit, I have fixed the title, I think from now on I will be calling my build "TTW Blaster" short for my workshop name

Last edited:
This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back