Star Wars Episode VII Stormtrooper Pics

I just fail to see how having a duck would help anything. The basic shape of the helmet is mostly the same as it always was. You can see what you want in it. I don't see how that would automatically make people wanna think of Donald Duck or buy his toys.

uploadfromtaptalk1429611261194.jpg

And yet, according to Kathleen Kennedy at the TFA panel, Bob Iger acquired the company that is responsible for the technology used in the BB-8 prop. So just by chance they put a prop in a movie whose technology is owned by the CEO of Disney. I think not. He knew full well that if the movie is successful he'd be making a killing out of BB-8 toys. You really think they won't try to sneak a Donald Duck design into the design for the new troopers ?

No, Lucasfilm brought out the concept, which dates back to one of McQuarrie's early designs for what would become R2-D2, as they've done with a lot of their stuff lately. And while they were trying to sort out how to possibly make it work, Bob put them in touch with the company that makes Sphero. I've watched the BB-8 rollout quite a few times now. Kathleen says Bob Iger found the company that made BB-8 possible. Not bought or owned or acquired or any of that.

And I do not see anything ducky in the new Stormtroopers. Nothing moreso than the originals.

--Jonah

And yet, according to Kathleen Kennedy at the TFA panel, Bob Iger acquired the company that is responsible for the technology used in the BB-8 prop. So just by chance they put a prop in a movie whose technology is owned by the CEO of Disney. I think not. He knew full well that if the movie is successful he'd be making a killing out of BB-8 toys. You really think they won't try to sneak a Donald Duck design into the design for the new troopers ?

It's not that hard to find the business articles on the actual relationship between Iger and Sphero. As noted above, Iger did not acquire Sphero, but found them and worked with them to bring BB-8 to life.

Having seen the armor in full I really like it, but I still dislike the helmet. If they had used something similar to the new snowtrooper/flamer helmet (the bulbous protruding part with the "mic tips") for the lower half of the stormtrooper helmet it would've look much better and more faithful to the originals - basically like the new tie pilot helmet.

As it is the lower front does look like a duckbill, though I really dont think it was a conscious decision to evoke donald duck :lol

It's not that hard to find the business articles on the actual relationship between Iger and Sphero. As noted above, Iger did not acquire Sphero, but found them and worked with them to bring BB-8 to life.

Here's a link to the article in Fortune : http://fortune.com/2015/04/17/iger-star-wars-bb8-sphero/

According to the article Disney invested upwards of $120,000 in the company. Not exactly "acquire" but their investment is sure going to pay off once the movie is released at the end of the year.

As it is the lower front does look like a duckbill, though I really dont think it was a conscious decision to evoke donald duck :lol

Maybe not but it is still a hard thing to un-see once seen. Every time I see the helmet I feel like I should build a duckpond.

I just find the design of the helmet a very lazy design. This design is something I'd expect a first semester community college design student would come up with in 15 minutes. This helmet is what I would expect to see in all those low budget Roger Corman-like science fiction movies from the late seventies and early eighties that tried to capitalize on the success of Star Wars.

The sad thing is with a couple of added features this design could've been a great design.

Last edited:
Maybe not but it is still a hard thing to un-see once seen. Every time I see the helmet I feel like I should build a duckpond.

I just find the design of the helmet a very lazy design. This design is something I'd expect a first semester community college design student would come up with in 15 minutes. This helmet is what I would expect to see in all those low budget Roger Corman-like science fiction movies from the late seventies and early eighties that tried to capitalize on the success of Star Wars.

The sad thing is with a couple of added features this design could've been a great design.

I agree with you on the duckbill but disagree with you on the overall design, I like it, a lot. I find the design to be very clean with a very modern aesthetic while still reminiscent of the original and PT designs. I also like that they dispensed with the molded details and decals and actually put in real mesh where there should be mesh and cut out the slits on the side where there were just decals suggesting slit on the original buckets.

Think I might prefer it just nudged back in the right direction.
webt23443.jpg webt23564.jpg
If I did end up obtaining one of these lids I think I would shape a bit of styrene over the areas here. (Oh yes, its a vent regulating cover)
Less duck face. I think the chin could be reined in too....

I'm not sure if this has been shared before, but this video has some wonderful closeups of the new helmets and armor.

Reference galore!

Last edited by a moderator:

I'll bite. What couple of added features would've made this a great design?

Think I might prefer it just nudged back in the right direction.
View attachment 467549 View attachment 467551
If I did end up obtaining one of these lids I think I would shape a bit of styrene over the areas here. (Oh yes, its a vent regulating cover)
Less duck face. I think the chin could be reined in too....

Either of these designs make the helmet look much better!!! I've been trying to figure out exactly what I don't like about the new helmets, and it is definitely the black area which you have covered here. If I get a PT helmet, I will absolutely paint that section!

I'll bite. What couple of added features would've made this a great design?

If you look at the Ralph McQuarrie concept art posted by Levallois you'll see all the classic design elements they omitted like : the mic tip and vocoder section on the front to make it not look like a duck (they even added that front design to the snowtrooper and flametroopers even though the original snowtrooper didn't have that and decided to keep it on the tie pilot helmet), an ear section that breaks up the front and back of the helmet, detail on the back of the helmet to make it look less like a hundred other motorcycle helmets out there. It's funny how they're trying to go back to the original designs like with the new x-wing and the only thing they decided to keep from the original design is the little design on the ear. Spacebob also posted a pic that would've been an improvement on the current design. They've even decided to keep the design for the old tie fighters from ANH (all be it with a new paint job) even though we've already seen a new design in ROTJ (tie interceptor).

This is what I don't get with this design. At what point did the designers and J.J. step back and look at all the different designs for the new stormtrooper (I assume there were many different designs) and decide to go with the one that looks like a duck. I would imagine a good designer wouldn't design something to look like something else unless that was the intention.

Here's another example of a bad design that looks like something else that wasn't the intention :

http://www.everythingtech.net/2009/10/worst-mcdonalds-happy-meal-toy-ever/

This is why this is a bad design for the stormtroopers. If they came out and said they intentionally tried to make it look like a duck I could probably live with it. How did they not see it?

I have a feeling that the person who gave us this design is the same person who gave us a clonetrooper helmet that couldn't actually fit on a human head and a naboo starfighter with an astromech droid that didn't actually have space for an astromech to fit into.

Anyway. This is only my opinion, which in the greater scheme of things really doesn't mean much.

Like Mark Hamill said : "This is only a movie."

Last edited:
This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back