Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Pre-release)

Re: Star Wars: Episode VIII (Pre-release)

Does that included that THING they used in The Phantom Menace? :lol

I think that proves a perfect point. Both CGI and puppetry can look good or bad, one approach is not inherently better than the other. Personally I wasn't too impressed with the CGI of Maz either, but I'm hoping it was at least partially due to the schedule of TFA. A physical puppet may not have fared any better under the circumstances. Hopefully it will look a little better in the next film now that they've laid the groundwork.

I had blocked that out completely!!! Hahaha. That was truly terrible I agree. Maybe a combination of the two would be better. :lol

I wish I was able to do that :p I have heard their so called "reasoning" for going with that particular design, but still :lol

A combination would(could) be great. Like they did with Simon Peggs EP7 character.

That's too bad, I think they could do pretty well with a puppet with today's technology.

the ESB and ROTJ Yoda looked very "fake" when I saw it as a kid (instantly recognized as a puppet). But after watching the PT, then going right to ESB - Yoda actually looked MORE "real"....

I think Yoda worked in the OT a bit better because of the environment he was used in - swampy and dark, muted colors along with somewhat familiar, somewhat lizard-humanoid design and a color (green) that worked in the environment he was placed in.

OTOH, Maz is yellow. Yellow. While she is humanoid-ish, she doesn't have another Earth-based or familiar mix to her.... and she's yellow. I also find her more cartoonish (in look) than Yoda. That all adds up to a character that's going to stand out a bit more and make her more readily scrutinized.

Good CG can be just as solid and believable as good practical effects.

The TPM Yoda puppet was ugly, but at least he looked like he was actually physically there, in that space, while Maz does not. The only real problem with OT Yoda is lip-sync, and that kind of work can be done well by digitally enhancing a puppet. I'm not sure if it's that the technology iis just not where they want it to be for a full digital little character like Maz. Part of it may be light scattering, rendering, composition, but I think a bit part is a tendency to "over act" with the digital characters. Their performances become much more animated and expressive than a live-action actor (or puppet) would ever play the same role. I realize they stuck Lupita in a mo-cap facial tracking rig, but that has to make her hyper-conscious of delivering a full performance at all moments with just her expressions. That alone could overdo it, but I they re-map her facial movements to the digital puppet in a way that exaggerates each twitch and tick, and the animators tweak things even further. Unfortunately, with Star Wars the template and bar for outlandish characters was set by Yoda and Chewie and Jabba, and the series has yet to put a digital creature on screen which can stand side-by-side with them on a realism level (both aesthetically and with their performance).

:lol

...and I'd wager if there was a full puppet of Maz and they also did a CG version done up with equal perfect, you wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

[emoji38]

...and I'd wager if there was a full puppet of Maz and they also did a CG version done up with equal perfect, you wouldn't be able to tell the difference.
Remember how good the ninja turtle heads looked from the first love action movie? That was in like, 1990. Imagine what they could do today

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

The problem with Maz is she didn't need to be an animated character.
There was no reason for it. Even if she had been a practical puppet - why?
Why hire someone as beautiful and talented as Lupita if you're just going to show us a cartoon?
I have the same problem with Snoke.

Remember how good the ninja turtle heads looked from the first love action movie? That was in like, 1990. Imagine what they could do today
Nope. No idea - didn't see a Ninja Turtle movie - no interest in it. If you're talking about this, I still see gimmicky costumes and muscles that don't flex.

The problem with Maz is she didn't need to be an animated character.
There was no reason for it. Even if she had been a practical puppet - why?
Why hire someone as beautiful and talented as Lupita if you're just going to show us a cartoon?
I have the same problem with Snoke.
You could say the same thing about any number of characters. The fact is that the character was conceived to be this particular thing - an alien character and Lupita was cast for that... not the other way around.

If everyone looks human then the entire galaxy is quite boring to look at.

Frankly, i think some people are just looking for things to complain about. There have ben FAR worse CGI characters in star wars - just from a visual standpoint - than Maz.

As far as Snoke goes, who says that's him? At this point it simply could be a projection. Even if it's not, again, why does he HAVE to look like a standard human? Perhaps the projection looks much worse than character does when he's actually supposed to be there?

I was really young when I first saw SW and ESB (born in 77) and even knowing now Yoda is a puppet, it's still Yoda. I guess I can just look past the limitations. I also was fine with the CGI Yoda. Maz Just wasn't interesting at all. When Yoda first came on, you knew he was someone important. At the end of TFA, I couldn't care less whether Maz got squished by part of her castle collapsing or whatever.

I was really young when I first saw SW and ESB (born in 77) and even knowing now Yoda is a puppet, it's still Yoda. I guess I can just look past the limitations. I also was fine with the CGI Yoda. Maz Just wasn't interesting at all. When Yoda first came on, you knew he was someone important. At the end of TFA, I couldn't care less whether Maz got squished by part of her castle collapsing or whatever.
Now this, I can agree with. I'll say I was a bit uninterested - maybe even disappointed - to find Maz character was returning in VIII.

The Yoda character and his intro in ESB does have some flaws - but, the way Maz was intro'd was even more convenient and vapid.

Whoever Rey's parents are they are real pieces of work leaving their precious young daughter with a slug pos like Unkarr Plutt.

What also could there possibly ever be any kind of redemption for Ben for flat out viciously murdering his father.

Poor Maz. I like the character but her concept is a mish mash of Estelle Getty and an Idaho Potato.

Not sure how 8 could be anything like ESB those are some BIG shoes to fill with little to no investments in these characters outside of Rey and the next closest Finn.
Ben needs to go right away and bring on a real antagonist worthy of Star Wars.

Has anyone noticed that set photos and leaks and whatnot really died off after those buttholes decided to climb around all over the Falcon?

Did they tighten up security after that, prior to the wrap on filming?

I know I'm not in the same camp, but I really am excited to see what's next for Kylo Ren. I hope they bring in the Knights of Ren as well. Maybe there will be a standoff with Luke or something.

I think we've only scratched the surface of Ben and is being highly underestimated before seeing what is to come. He's not even in his prime yet having not yet completed his training. And the dude flat out slaughtered his own dad. If he's willing to do that, then what wouldn't he do to people who weren't his family?

I have my own theory of wondering if the disturbing calls of the light that Ben gets are those of Anakin Skywalker and he doesn't know it. I wonder how much Luke ever told Leia or Han about Vader before he passed. Perhaps this new information could bring to light the conflict Ben is experiencing.

There's just too much of an open door as to what's next. That 30-year gap leaves so many questions. I'm so excited for whenever the teaser for Ep8 is!

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back