FINISHED 1/6 scale Bioshock Big Daddy Figure project

Abb eliten

Hello!
After a long period of inactivity on the forums due to several things, I´m back again.

Since I recently got a new job I also got access to a pretty neat model shop, including a CNC mill, I figured this would be a time as good as ever to start one of my long-time planned projects.
I actually initially planned to make a full-scale statue but "luckily" decided to start out small.
I'm a big fan of sixth scale collectibles, as well of the Bioshock franchise, so what could be better than to combine the two? A fully posable Bouncer in sixth scale :D

All of the models are based on the Burial at Sea version of the Bouncer wich has a few differences from the original, for better or for worse.
A big thank you to ArmachamCorp over at DeviantArt for the model: http://armachamcorp.deviantart.com/art/BioShock-Infinite-Burial-at-Sea-Bouncer-415494530
Modeling is done in Autodesk Alias and then finished in SolidWorks.

The idea is to print and mill the parts and then cold-cast them in bronze and iron to make them more believeable. The diving suit will be made out of some kind of cotton fabric and the figure will feature a posable left hand with a glove made of either rubber or cotton depending on how skilled I am at sewing ;)

Skärmklipp 2015-08-30 01.29.31 (2).png
This is what i initially had to work with, mirrored for some reason

Skärmklipp 2015-09-01 13.39.15 (2).png
Orthographic 3DS Max renders along with imported (hidden) OBJ in Alias

Skärmklipp 2015-09-28 22.14.52 (2).png
Early base surfaces

Skärmklipp 2015-11-29 17.49.42 (2).png
Nearly finished, minus a few details (yes I know the tanks are still mirrored incorrecly)

Currently, this is how far I've made it:

IMG_20151111_001417~2.jpg
Hand printed an assembled

IMG_20151128_164039-2.jpgIMG_20151128_164009.jpgIMG_20151019_170137.jpg
Tanks milled and mostly sanded and painted, boots still to be milled in denser foam

Skärmklipp.PNG
Most of the inner workings are pretty much figured out.
They will be a combination of custom parts and lego joints :)

I also have placed a Shapeways order on the drill, helmet and some other doodads.
The main hardsiut has to wait until next salary though...

I will try to keep a consistent flow of updates on this, hopefully it will be interesting :)

/Abb_eliten

Last edited:
Re: 1/6 scale Big Daddy Figure project

I always thought the NECA big daddy figures were a bit lacking, like most of their figures, and may as well have been statues. Nice to see some articulation. I wish I had a 3d printer and small milling machine, I really would love to make 1/6 or large versions of Fallout robots. Actually I have an idea for one but cutting and orb with a saw without mangling it is eluding me lol

I always thought the NECA big daddy figures were a bit lacking, like most of their figures, and may as well have been statues. Nice to see some articulation. I wish I had a 3d printer and small milling machine, I really would love to make 1/6 or large versions of Fallout robots. Actually I have an idea for one but cutting and orb with a saw without mangling it is eluding me lol

My major issue with the Neca Daddies is their availability, or lack of :)
Hopefully it will be sturdy enough to hold a pose.
Best way to cut a sphere would probably to mount it in some kind of jig I think...

Some updates:

IMG_20151202_162923.jpgIMG_20151202_162837.jpg
Made a small air/water pressure gauge

20151203192801.jpg20151203192949_1.jpg20151203193049_1.jpg
I also made a crude first test for the glove.
Pretty happy considering I'm a noob at sewing :)

IMG_20151210_151319-2.jpg
Got some prints today, this thing's getting bigger and bigger :O
The rest was printed in translucent detail plastic and won't show up well on camera unless i prime it.

Re: 1/6 scale Bioshock Big Daddy Figure project

Been trying different approaches to the cold casting process, mix powder into resin, dusting the mold, spray release, no spray release etc....
And I have got some pretty nice results, the most interesting being the helmet.

20160204_152810.jpg20160204_152633-2.jpg
Also tried an early design of the porthole glass.
It's not flawless, but since it will be weathered and such it won't be noticable anyways.

Last edited:

very nice, i can't (though i must) wait for this to be finished. i believe that for the most part with the exception of one figure i have all of the big daddy/ big/little sisters that neca produced. so your model is a fave of mine

NECROPOST FROM HELL INCOMING
brace yourselves, gonna be condensed

I suck at documenting and posting my work, period.
But I have been working on this even if this thread has been pretty much dead..

Anyway I have some pics

cKBC6fr.jpgfHBW9bF.jpg86kyegF.jpgMhjOQyw.jpgAgEpQGT.jpg
lOhH2Qp.jpgBFKuZYQ.jpgzArePOT.jpgdVmFjXh.jpggBP26AR.jpgUjelO0R.jpg

Print, finish, mold, cast, rinse repeat... ....weather
The light now toggles smoothly between green, yellow and red using an Arduino Pro Mini and a neopixel ring.

Last edited:
Re: Revived ancient 1/6 scale Bioshock Big Daddy Figure project

Me too....fantastic ! Paint job is unreal !

Re: Revived ancient 1/6 scale Bioshock Big Daddy Figure project

Thank you very much! :)

Being that the parts are cold cast makes the weathering pretty straight forward.
I spray and brush on a mix of hydrogen peroxide, water and salt, wait for it to react and rust, add some grime and dirt and seal it with Tamiya gloss.
This is a real pilot project for me when it comes to weathering, thats why it's moving slowly :)

Last edited:
Re: Revived 1/6 scale Bioshock Big Daddy Figure project

Some more weathering tried out.
After adding rust and grime to the drill i dabbed on a layer of clear coat to get this kinda porous soaked iron look.
Looks better in person tha on camera

Wetting the bronze needs a different approach since it's a polished surface that wouldn't absorb any water like rusted iron do.
I think the verdigris turned out ok

39KGKTF.jpgntdmj7r.jpg

6CJNOlM.jpgoiqoQvA.jpg

Wow, those finishes looks amazing...nice work

Jumpcut!

Feels like it's on the home stretch now
All sewing is done and almost all leatherwork

8gVmUGY.jpg

I also added a charging port and buttons for the light. I'm using a standard powerbank so charging is made easy.
Everything is covered up by the belt which is held in place by a magnet.

H40BGGP.jpgrbF7WWz.jpg

Will bring home the rest of the pieces from work this weekend to assemble everything before final weathering.

8gVmUGY.jpg

H40BGGP.jpg

rbF7WWz.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

That is a wonderful thing. So well done.

This is seriously incredible, amazing work

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Amazing!

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back