New Zvezda Star Destroyer Model kit

I have almost pulled the trigger on this printer a couple times, but I am worried about the frequency of purchasing the print tray. Now that I know this is what you have been using, my finger is twitching on the trigger again.......

Yep

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Here's my cheap alternative to a Tamiya hobby drill for doing the FO - a tiny 12V DC motor with 600RPM reduction gearbox and a mini chuck on the end, for the sum total of 5 quid. I also bought a PWM speed controller in case it was still fast enough to melt the plastic, but it seems perfectly fine without.

Sample holes in the sprue tab.

The only small problem is the motor shaft is a fraction smaller than the chuck, so it's a bit of a sloppy fit. Need to shim it out with something.

DSC_0479.jpg

Here's my cheap alternative to a Tamiya hobby drill for doing the FO - a tiny 12V DC motor with 600RPM reduction gearbox and a mini chuck on the end, for the sum total of 5 quid. I also bought a PWM speed controller in case it was still fast enough to melt the plastic, but it seems perfectly fine without.

Sample holes in the sprue tab.

The only small problem is the motor shaft is a fraction smaller than the chuck, so it's a bit of a sloppy fit. Need to shim it out with something.

Nice! Do you have links for where you sourced the parts?

With a 3mm shaft on the motor and a 3.17 ID on the chuck a few wraps of tin foil (0.02 thick sheet) or one wrap of foil tape (0.08 thick) should tighten it up nicely. Just overlap or butt up the starting and ending of the wrap on the flat.

Was just messing about with the drill for a whileand it ground to a halt. First I thought I'd burnt out the motor, but tuned out the gearbox had seized up. A drop of light sewing machine oil and a couple of cranks by hand and all was running again. It's not great under load, but should suffice with a few sharp bits.

I'd love a set of Devastator upgrade parts also. I bought loads of random photo etch sets today at a model fair to try to modify mine. The Devastator will always be my favourite Star Destroyer.

Just a couple of questions about doing fibre optics...

Can you use fibre optics, LEDs and LED strips together?

With fibre optics, I've read in this thread that it's best to drill first, then install the fibre optics and leave them out, extended, then paint and finally, cut the fibre optics to size, correct?

Do you glue the fibre optics into the drilled holes? Or leave them loose? I presume the former...

I have zero electrical knowledge and cannot solder...so lighting for me is prolly a no go.

I think I can stretch my funds to get one of the Zvezda units direct from the Russian federation. The kit looks easy enough to build from what I've seen, and I'm pretty inexperienced (been a long while since I've built a kit). Anything that I should look out for?

Just a couple of questions about doing fibre optics...

Can you use fibre optics, LEDs and LED strips together?

With fibre optics, I've read in this thread that it's best to drill first, then install the fibre optics and leave them out, extended, then paint and finally, cut the fibre optics to size, correct?

Do you glue the fibre optics into the drilled holes? Or leave them loose? I presume the former...

I have zero electrical knowledge and cannot solder...so lighting for me is prolly a no go.

I think I can stretch my funds to get one of the Zvezda units direct from the Russian federation. The kit looks easy enough to build from what I've seen, and I'm pretty inexperienced (been a long while since I've built a kit). Anything that I should look out for?

As far electronics knowledge, you should probably read a primer post here or SSM. Can't remember where it is or they are, but look in the pinned posts here or the electronics section of SSM. They really simplify it. Soldering is quite easy and you can watch a few youtube videos to see this. But it may not matter. There are ways around soldering and there are even ways around the electronics knowledge. You can find other products that have LED light already. Small flashlights that they sell as impulse items at hardware stores--that comes to mind. You might have to jimmy-rig the on-off switch, but that's among the most basic electronic tasks, really. So don't just write it off.
Mike Todd

As far electronics knowledge, you should probably read a primer post here or SSM. Can't remember where it is or they are, but look in the pinned posts here or the electronics section of SSM. They really simplify it. Soldering is quite easy and you can watch a few youtube videos to see this. But it may not matter. There are ways around soldering and there are even ways around the electronics knowledge. You can find other products that have LED light already. Small flashlights that they sell as impulse items at hardware stores--that comes to mind. You might have to jimmy-rig the on-off switch, but that's among the most basic electronic tasks, really. So don't just write it off.
Mike Todd

If I had someone local in Brisbane to teach me in person, I'd prolly be OK. I learn terrible from videos or books.

I hope they have secured a larger availability for the US than they did in Europe - it pretty much disappeared in a week or 2 of release!

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back