robo3687's Officer K Coat Build - Blade Runner 2049 (Update: 15th Dec 2020)

Re: robo3687's Officer K Coat Build - Blade Runner 2049 (Pic Heavy)

Awesome! Eager to see it all come together:)

First day of sewing went well, slow, but well. Having never done quilting before it would seem I greatly underestimated how long it would take to quilt the lining. The back panels are taking about 30 minutes each and one of the front panels took me about an hour.

so today i’ve got a front lining from the A coat, and all the lining from the B coat to quilt, so that should be about 4 hours of quilting....yay -_-
———————

also, the more detailed build posts will be coming on the weekend, but I’ll keep doing little daily updates as well

Update time,

Days 2 and 3 went pretty good. I got all the remaining quilting done, finished up the rest of the prep (mostly joining fabric to interfacing) and finally started on the construction with the sleeve linings.

There'll be more details on the weekend but here's a quick look at some of what I've been up to (and everything here I've done twice...):

fu9ASi3.png

The sleeve linings are inside out so you can actually see the interesting parts of them. I made a consolidated 3 part pattern for the sleeve lining out of the 6 part pattern of the proper sleeve and it seems like it's worked quite well. I actually ended up running out of wadding, so the lower arms on all the linings are interlined with flannelette instead of the wadding, They're the same weight fabric so it's not noticeable, and if anything, it'll make the cuffs a little warmer.

and the quilting...oh god the quilting....as I said earlier, the back panels were 30 minutes each, and the front panels were about 1-1.5 hours each, and that's with me having drawn out the pattern to follow. Each of the big panels used just about a fully loaded bobbin.

The slight indents on the fur are where I've temporarily attached it to a backing piece of cotton to make it a bit more sturdy (it's a very floppy fleece fur...very soft too) when I attach it to the facings (which might be happening tomorrow).

I've also remembered to keep track of how long I'm working this time around, and over the last 7 days (from drawing up/cutting out patterns to start of construction today) I've put just under 53 hours in so far. I feel slow, but compared to Kylo I'm flying.

Back to it in the morning

Made some more progress today. Did the sleeve linings for coat B, and started on the first of the facings for coat A:

iiUciot.png

The fur is machine stitched along the long edges, and hand sewn on along the short ones. It was a little fiddly but I'm happy with the result.

That's great looking fur!!!

Yeah I’m really happy with it. I think the pile might be maybe a few millimeters short but it was the closest I could find.

tLmJwMB.png

——-

today was really productive. I assembled the rest of the front facings/linings and started actually assembling the full lining itself. And the good news is, it fits. And it sits exactly how i wanted it to. And it’s warm, which I wanted too. Pictures will come once it’s a bit more together, but I’m really happy with how it’s turning out.

tLmJwMB.png

Last edited by a moderator:

This is an awesome replica!!! My bf asked me to make one for him but im not super great at pattern making. Please please make this pattern available for purchase!! I'd love to learn pattern making but I dont know where to start.

This is an awesome replica!!! My bf asked me to make one for him but im not super great at pattern making. Please please make this pattern available for purchase!! I'd love to learn pattern making but I dont know where to start.

I will be offering it at some point.

--------------------------

now, I have fully sunken into the process of making these coats and as such, the detailed posts about things are now going to be done once the build is finished.
I'm now 80 hours into it (in 12.5 days) and I'm having to copyedit my novel by the 2nd of March at the same time (of course they'd spring that on me at the same time I was doing this...lol), so my days are filled. But they are coming.

in the meantime here's a few shots of where the build is at:

Today I'm putting all the sleeves together, I did one complete one as a test run the other day and now I've got the production line going on the others.
ip2bLlb.png

and here's all the bits for Coat A. All the bits of Coat B are on another lounge just out of shot....there's a lot of bits....:
ardblJJ.png

and finally I think I'm almost happy (almost...) with my colour for painting the coat, here's the latest test:
UEifFzX.png

overall, I'm really happy with how it's going, I'm on day 13 of the build and it's looking I'll be done before I hit 3 weeks.

Stay tuned.

That’s some professional looking work :thumbsup

great job.

and finally I think I'm almost happy (almost...) with my colour for painting the coat, here's the latest test:
https://i.imgur.com/UEifFzX.png

Stay tuned.

Ooooh. What colour is that if you don't mind sharing? Looks very close indeed. I've already settled on and ordered my colours, but not too late to try something else.

Ooooh. What colour is that if you don't mind sharing? Looks very close indeed. I've already settled on and ordered my colours, but not too late to try something else.

It's Phthalo Green, the brand is Derivan Artist Acrylic, which is an Australian brand so your mileage may vary. One thing I will say though, is that Phthalo Green is a bit of a crapshoot in getting a consistent colour, everyone seems to have a different idea of what it is.

Point in fact for that is I initially bought the 'student acrylic' phthalo from derivan, and it's a completely different green (and wasn't permanent)

So yeah, phthalo has the nice teal-y look to it I was after, but you'll have to do tests to find a specific shade you like.

----------------------

In other news, I've had a productive few days: the sleeves are all done, and I've started on the pockets and front panels.

The pockets are without a doubt the slowest part of this whole process so far, though I expect it will get quicker as I get used to the process.

I also pinned everything I had so far together and tried it on, and while it looked a bit janky, it was very encouraging to see it actually start to look like something.

guys, guys, guys....

before I go further I want to say that my goal for painting the coat has always been to replicate it's appearance, and not necessarily focused on waterproofing etc. That said...

I think I might have done it, and it was far easier than I could have hoped.

Firstly, this is the look I've always been going for, the sort of glossy, but not uniform look where you can still see the weave of the fabric (which often gets lost in waxing and such):

AzKh5q0.png

Now, I posted this test yesterday:

UEifFzX.png

This sample was painted with a mix that was Derivan Artists Acrylic Phthalo Green + Liquitex Fabric Medium + Liquitex Gloss Gel Medium and watered down a decent amount. It went on really dark (because it was wet), but dried to the colour you see here. I was mildly disappointed because it seemed like any glossiness had gotten lost as it went into the fabric.

Enter the happy accident...

As I was making pockets yesterday I was using the barrel of a sharpie to crease a few small folds, and I noticed it was kind of making the fabric a little shiny as it was rubbing and pressing on the fibers. So this morning I tried it on the painted test and....well...it kinda worked. I got a small ceramic canister (though I think I'll use an old coffee mug in future) and went all over the thing and....

Y4beY3S.png

i mean....

v0JPkPI.gif

I was blown away. It looks like the glossiness was there all along, and rubbing it with the canister has sort of, buffed it up and brought it back out. It's also made it really smooth to touch (it doesn't even feel like canvas anymore) and while after the initial painting it was a bit stiff, this also seems to have softened it all out.

I'm exceedingly happy about this, because it simplifies the process a lot. Paint and buff. No messing about with varnishes, or gloss coats or any of that.

I would image the effect would somewhat wear away over time, but then you'd just buff it back up.

thoughts?

Re: robo3687's Officer K Coat Build - Blade Runner 2049 (painting breakthrough pg 2!)

Looking great, how was your stiff factor before you buffed it? I did something similar, I just sanded the painted fabric.

Re: robo3687's Officer K Coat Build - Blade Runner 2049 (painting breakthrough pg 2!)

Looking great, how was your stiff factor before you buffed it? I did something similar, I just sanded the painted fabric.

not super stiff, but definitely stiffer than the base fabric. it's pretty close to the base now after buffing. I think if I add more fabric medium to the paint it should close to eliminate the stiffness altogether

Not sure why people would focus on waterproofing from a replica point, it clearly absorbs water in the movie. From a functional standpoint sure, but not for the look.

Not sure why people would focus on waterproofing from a replica point, it clearly absorbs water in the movie. From a functional standpoint sure, but not for the look.

yeah, it was never really a concern of mine. I think it probably sprouted from the costume designer saying the fabric was laminated and assuming waterproof. But yeah, the coat gets soaked.

Wow. That looks spot on. I absolutely cannot wait to see this when it's all completed. Might have to put myself down for a pattern if I'm feeling ambitious.

thoughts?

I think you summed most of them up already. The finish is really easy to misconstrue onscreen. Mariette putting the tracker in the pocket is a great choice to show this, and I think you're really on to something here. That curious, "flattened weave" effect seems right, looks extremely different in extreme closeup and more distant shots, which also seems correct, and it's the kind of thing that would naturally come about from the process the coats went through. This looks really, really good.

I think if you can do this and retain motility in the fabric then you're golden. Shots like the hallway "skin job" shot (the one with the first baseline test audio over it) show there's a definite softness and looseness to the fabric which has a strong effect on how the garment behaves.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back