R2-D2 WIP - Studio 49

Some major progress is being made.... just fitted the first panel hinge!!!

After meticulously testing fitting them all with painters tap to position them I took the plunge and fitted the first one with captive studs.
Now the stud still stick out a little but once I get the 120 degree countersink bit I'm waiting on it'll be nice and flush.

Onwards to the next 3 Pie Panel (top hinges)!

Last edited by a moderator:
So damm jealous over those hinges!! Beautiful !

Thanks mate!
Speaking of I installed the remaining pie hinges, I couldn't help myself ;)

I'm the in the process of finding myself a servo tester so I can really give these a good test! and also because I want to see R2 come to life haha

how hard was the install? did you have to bend the shape of the hinges to match the dome at all?

To my surprise it wasn't as hard as I thought it might be. The hardest bit was making sure that everything was lined up perfectly before drilling the holes. I spent a long time with the inner & outer dome on mocking stuff up with winters tape to hold it all in place and that's what helped make it easy.

As for bending, I think that there's only one hinge that'll need a little tweaking with a bend on one lower corner but I was pleasantly surprised to find that most worked like a charm :)

Here's some pics of the planning and mock ups I did with the painters tape a couple days ago

37664327051_66d8dbef1a_b.jpg

36953382464_0c20f0a5f8_b.jpg

37614741606_a3b4f0be4a_b.jpg

That looks great! So you tape them on, try the hinge, then with them still taped put the outer dome on and try the hinge again?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That looks great! So you tape them on, try the hinge, then with them still taped put the outer dome on and try the hinge again?

Yep that pretty much sums it up mate! :D
Tape was the best way of making sure the panels all lined up and were centered in the openings and then it also helped make sure they didn't move when I was marking where I'd be drilling my mounting holes

I probably spent a solid hour being OCD about lining it all up which helped in the long run as it only then took 10 minutes to drill the actual holes haha

The Redback Garrison was fortunate enough to be able to host a panel at Brisbane SupaNova (in Australia) this last weekend. On Saturday myself and Payney hosted the hour long panel where we talked about all things related to Droid and Prop building and by all accounts it was a great success! (I'm on the right in the pics and Payney is on the left)

We had a pretty well packed audience and easily 300 people watching the panel online since this year it was being live streamed to Twitch! :O
I also filmed the panel as I know some have asked about that since they were going to miss it but still wanted to watch it. I'm also looking into if I'm able to post up our section of the live stream to YouTube seperate you just so it’s easier to find/view. So watch this space as I'll post up the video once I have it all sorted/edited.

Payney talked about how he built his Life size R2-D2, is building BB-8 and how the Speederbike was built. So massive shout out to him as he’s far more knowledgable on droids than I am because I’m still in learning phase haha. And then I talked 3D printing, the different kinds of 3D technology, how to 3D print, getting started with learning 3D Modelling and what programs will suit you if you want to learn.

38331470936_680ca37f91_b.jpg

38331479766_ff9626c95b_b.jpg

37671688174_da45ef825f_b.jpg

38331480696_2ab06775cc_b.jpg

38386264271_56e66244d0_b.jpg

On the Sunday of SupaNova I was also fortunate enough to meet Brian Herring!
Of all people you guys should know who is is, but just in case you don't Brian is the gentleman responsible for bringing BB-8 to life in the Force Awakens as the lead puppeteer and has worked on countless other huge films including future Star Wars films.

I'd never done a Photo Op at Nova before so I accidentally went over to the table where he does his signatures/signings. He could easily have just shooed me away but instead since it was a quiet point of the day he had chat with me for a good 15 minutes!

I'm pretty blown away and humbled by that experience, he never had to talk to me even for a minute let alone a quarter of an hour, easily one of the highlights of my weekend :)
Oh and for the photo I made sure to take my R2-D2 dome with me which made for a pretty awesome pic even if it's half completed!

CtauqtlW8AA3PaP.jpg

Last edited:
That is freak’n awesome!! What I love is how down to earth a lot of these celebrity’s can be!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The last two weeks I've on a Study Tour that I did as a part of my Formal Studies at University/college (which is also why I've not been as active with limited wi-fi connection and such). As part of the tour we spent time in Hong Kong and Japan and as it so happens I was lucky enough to be in Tokyo the same weekend as Tokyo Comic Con! So I made sure to make it along for an afternoon and while I was here I made a short video montage of some of the awesome stuff we saw on display :)

Well fourth times the charm! After trying and failing to get the radar eye painted to the standard I wanted and with some awesome insights from Kodiakak I think I finally have something I'm happy with :)

Was more difficult than I thought it’d be, but then again I was being super fussy about it since it’s the radar eye after all.

40681748512_817da46d64_b.jpg

40681747472_9d76af1d30_b.jpg

26853217818_4b7907dd7e_b.jpg

paint looks good! i recently started on my dome, i was using this thread to mount my holmes hinges. i randomly grabbed some glue tape at my local hardware store. same tape you used, my roll of tape must be defective because it sucks... and blue painters tape is sure expensive...

It's been a marathon to get to this point, but I just picked up my Aluminium frame parts from the water jet cutters a bit over a week ago!

Pictures and details to come as soon as I have time in between working on my thesis and other University work :)

31201486668_8189d084ba_k.jpg

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back