Best Blade Runner Blaster

FWIW, the Tomen doesn't use actual firearm components. Those parts are replicas as well, and the barrel and cylinder are not actually metal. Seems to me that if it can pass muster in Japan it should be okay in Canada. Doesn't mean it'll be easier though.

Believe me, I'm aware of that. Made sure to mention that when I inquired about it -- and I was asking about just importing a resin-cast kit -- but as far as the RCMP are concerned since they look like real firearm components it's not importable by their standards.

But again, like I said it's been almost a year since I last looked into that, so things have likely changed. Your observation about the barrel and cylinder not being metal would probably help matters. When iSteve's makes sit through, I might consider getting one myself :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe? I'm not sure. Best thing would be for me to contact them again and ask, see if their restrictions have changed.

EDIT: I went ahead and e-mailed them with a direct link to the Hollywood Collectibles page. Should hear back from them soon.

Last edited:
Maybe? I'm not sure. Best thing would be for me to contact them again and ask, see if their restrictions have changed.

EDIT: I went ahead and e-mailed them with a direct link to the Hollywood Collectibles page. Should hear back from them soon.

Thank you very much Eric. I really appreciate it.

Its all subjective and as others have pointed out above there are many options available and even though you have "done your research" it ultimately comes down to more than simply picking a best - IMO. I have owned or still own almost all of them (aside from a Harford) and I have also had the opportunity to spend a lot of time with the original blaster so let me give you my 3 cents worth on a few of them:

Rick Ross PKD: Possibly the most aesthetically pleasing blaster and one of those that I will always relish owning. Its not accurate but it embodies the original spirit of the first movie in a way that none of the others do. Sadly the chance of getting one of his original PKD's is unlikely

Rich Coyle Blaster: Rich and Phil set the bar regarding almost of the early research into the blaster and generally his (later models) are regarded as the most accurate. The secret is to acquire either one of his already built blasters (which are fantastic) or one of his slightly earlier models because the build quality in most of those is second to none. Of late it seems his offerings have been rather hit and miss with often not the best quality castings. That said, it is possible to get a new build that is wonderful but care needs to be taken with your selection.

SidKit: The Sidkit worldcon model (his last) is another epic pice and if you ignore the hysterical utterances around this offering you will be very satisfied indeed. The Sidkit castings are in my experience streets above even Rich's best and while its not quite as accurate as Coyle's, the Sidkit like the Coyle embody the character of the original blaster in that its made up of various bits and pieces which gives you the impression of something that was formed rather than manufactured as a complete piece from the word go. These are also hard to come by and its important you acquire the Worldcon version because not only is it the best Sid produced but its also - mostly - retooled from scratch.

Tomenosuke - This is the Rolls Royce of blasters and you will be hard pressed to find anything better. It might be too clean and too perfect for some and it might lack the more subjective characteristics I mentioned earlier (which might be important to you as they are for me) but its an incredible blaster and one that deserves its place at the top of the pile. The downside is deciding on which model because some are better than others but if you spend the time you will find what you're looking for.

Good luck, I hope your quest is successful.
M

Thanks for the info!

I checked with HCG on their Facebook page about any previous issues shipping prop guns to Canada. The response was:

Hollywood Collectibles Group We have successfully shipped worldwide, and do necessary paperwork and include a letter to customs to explain what the item is an more importantly, what it is not. We have been pretty successful thus far with getting them through. But, that being said, we can only do so much and there is always that risk. There could be a rare circumstance where they do decide to detain it and we have no control over that once it leaves our hands. But as stated, we have been very successful so far and I assume it won't be any different with your delivery. If you would like to discuss further and speak about the process we ship these, please contact customer service at the 407-985-4613. If nobody answers today then the office is closed for Columbus Day but will be open tomorrow morning and they should be able to pacify your concerns. Thanks!

I'm feeling a little better about this. I'm on the 8-month plan, so I have time to change my mind. I have family in Wisconsin and if I really had to, I could ship it there and just drive it back home with the family on a holiday later. Chances of it getting seized at the border are next to 0.

Ok. Now I'm worried it won't make it into Canada. I read one thread here from 2010 about Canada Customs and their response to replicas, but it looks well dead. Anyone here offer any insight into shipping one of these to Canada? Has anyone from Canada ever ordered the Tomenuske and had it shipped without any issues?

I'm in Canada and have bought one Tomenosuke from Hollywood Collectibles and have two more 2049 versions on payment plans. They do ship to Canada and my first one had no problems coming through customs, but expect to pay a hefty customs fee. I think mine was close to $200 Canadian for customs processing.

I'm in Canada and have bought one Tomenosuke from Hollywood Collectibles and have two more 2049 versions on payment plans. They do ship to Canada and my first one had no problems coming through customs, but expect to pay a hefty customs fee. I think mine was close to $200 Canadian for customs processing.
Thanks Nth - that's very reassuring. HCG seems to also have a firm grip on the situation too with proper customs forms and an identifying letter. That should help a lot.
I'm more concerned about it actually making it to me than the customs, but man that is hefty. I was figuring on $50, maybe $100, but $200 is quite a bit. Oh well, so long as it gets here.
I'm still curious as to the response Eric will receive.

Thanks Nth - that's very reassuring. HCG seems to also have a firm grip on the situation too with proper customs forms and an identifying letter. That should help a lot.
I'm more concerned about it actually making it to me than the customs, but man that is hefty. I was figuring on $50, maybe $100, but $200 is quite a bit. Oh well, so long as it gets here.

Yeah, that's good news indeed :) Thanks for sharing that bit of info @Nth.

I expect to hear from the RCMP by mid-week (they're usually pretty quick to reply).

Last edited:
I have had several PKD's and all manner of other sci-fi blasters imported into Canada. If it isn't a replica of a REAL firearm, it isn't illegal and customs doesn't care. I also just had one of Matsuo's clamshells pass through with no problem, which has a replica airsoft inside it.

I wouldn't even bother talking to the RCMP, they control firearms in the country, but Customs (CBSA) does the actual inspections.

Oh yeah as for the OP there is the HWS airsoft version as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CibctWl2gs8

Last edited:

Weird. I paid zero on my 2049 kit.

I have had several PKD's and all manner of other sci-fi blasters imported into Canada. If it isn't a replica of a REAL firearm, it isn't illegal and customs doesn't care. I also just had one of Matsuo's clamshells pass through with no problem, which has a replica airsoft inside it.

I wouldn't even bother talking to the RCMP, they control firearms in the country, but Customs (CBSA) does the actual inspections.

Oh yeah as for the OP there is the HWS airsoft version as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CibctWl2gs8

Great to hear Win7ermute. Which part of Canada are you in? Nth's experience makes sense as I've dealt briefly with customs in Halifax and they are, without sarcasm, a very bright, friendly bunch.

It may be possible if it mine makes it through, that customs might be zero simply form my experience getting other things - including Japanese products - through without duties. I'm not holding my breath, though. Conversely, just about every New Zealand product I've bought has come with duties payable. Another thing I've been thinking about is the folks at Emerson/Pembina or Winnipeg probably know guns fairly well and might possibly pass the PKD through without a second thought. We'll see.

Great to hear Win7ermute. Which part of Canada are you in? Nth's experience makes sense as I've dealt briefly with customs in Halifax and they are, without sarcasm, a very bright, friendly bunch.

It may be possible if it mine makes it through, that customs might be zero simply form my experience getting other things - including Japanese products - through without duties. I'm not holding my breath, though. Conversely, just about every New Zealand product I've bought has come with duties payable. Another thing I've been thinking about is the folks at Emerson/Pembina or Winnipeg probably know guns fairly well and might possibly pass the PKD through without a second thought. We'll see.

I'm in Calgary.

Purely from my own experience, I think the best Deckard pistol replica on the market in a price/quality comparison is the metal Sidkit 'World-Con'. Accurate enough, very well cast and all metal (there have also been a few high-quality plastic Sid’s from those same molds, in bright pink). The Tomenosuke Pro-Retail / 2049 kit version is next because it's affordable, very accurate and great fun to build but it has a plastic frame to comply with Japanese firearms laws. The fully-Built Tomenosuke comes a close third because it's just as good but much more expensive. I place the built Coyle fourth because it's all metal but also very expensive and the Coyle kit fifth because it's expensive and a LOT of work to complete to a high standard. The Offworld M2019 brings up the rear because it is mostly plastic and not so accurate in detail or proportion.

Although not in the same league as those high-end functional collectibles the Tomenosuke rubber stunt of a few years ago, and the recent Tomenosuke plastic stunt are both fine pieces of casting and still very desirable. There is also the Takagi but I have no experience of this version although I understand it's a good gun, very much like the Tomen', at a similar price, with the Japanese-mandated plastic core components.

My opinions are based on the fact that, in the past five years, no less than fourteen Blade Runner pistols have passed through my ownership;
- 4x metal 'World-Con' Sidkits. 2 completed by me and 2 sold unbuilt
- 2x pre-built plastic Sidkits
- 2x Tomenosuke 2049 kits, one built by me & one sold
- 1x pre-built Tomenosuke HCG edition, modified by me
- 1x Tomenosuke rubber stunt edition
- 1x Off-World M2019
- plus 1x solid resin 'stunt' casting, painted and finished by me, and 2x Fullcock water pistols...
- I also have a friend with a pre-built Coyle C&S and an as-yet unbuilt Coyle kit. Both of which I have examined very closely.

Just curious but what kinda modifications did you make to your HCG edition?

Last edited by a moderator:
Nothing drastic. Stripped the black anodised finish from the receiver with vinegar and blued it, then fitted a steel barrel.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back