ANH Hero DL-44 Discussion - Three ANH Greeblies Found

awesome. Deacs in the states are unheard of, as you can buy real firing ones in that shape for a decent price. Curious, they drilled holes in the barrel, but did they fill the chamber too?

I don't know yet; a friend of mine bought it today, but it'll take a few days before I'll have it in my hands. I believe they filled it and also welded the top half. Real firing arms are not allowed here, as you probably know.

If anyone is having trouble constructing a HERO Grille this is how I went about it. Hopefully it's helpful..

Edit: this design below is the old way of doing so and as clean as it is it’s also not film accurate. Check out my post #3654 to see a film accurate build of this grille.

HEAT SINK GRILLE build from "3 Avron model kit cylinders"

7efd1e184c7545aa07bb02ef16f82716.jpg

Also just finished a blaster build. It's on a fully modified denix using a DEC kit along with the Avron cylinders and my own bull barrel design..

2043541fa98eb58d267f335b55ab5b34.jpg
c99671c0fdb4c3c491f4d3f7670fe409.jpg
7b8bf037814f5290aa63578a869954f9.jpg
ba1e992c5520f8ef6f7d6abeb65d6f73.jpg
6e0284873c608867925cb3e98abe2a7f.jpg
fd5016d62814e4e364ef69741277b0fe.jpg
37c573cb1a7f742db14ab503fe2f3318.jpg
3320ef98e8bb5acbeb03bc6d513b9ce1.jpg
b678b9836997e753611247cee1665c39.jpg
798fa83e12f75d342de245046fb676f3.jpg
2adcc6a64bfa5489bbc1d7f1408482f8.jpg
ac44e1eb5b04c91eaaad049c8f83162b.jpg

Last edited:
Amazing thread. Absolutely amazing. I just read the lot. Unfortunately a lot of pics and links are now dead. I'd really like to read and see the whole thing. Is it available? I'd Really like to see the reference pics. The deductions!
I want to mill up my own flash hider. Has any one actually figured out the dimensions? is this info shared? J

Thats a really good find mate. I'm in the UK and strangely its easier to get a deactivated than it is a denix here! thats the route I'm going through. Nice find.

I've recently noticed that the HERO Grille looks to be shaped differently than what seems to be the consensus (like this picture below)..

9f3f4717955aa36841a4fc4f43e0cdea.jpg

..but after looking more closely I think it's actually reversed. Forgive me if this has already been discovered but from this picture it seems (to me anyways) that the top cylinder is not angled at all. It's actually flush against the Mauser itself and the bottom two are actually angled in the opposite direction. You can see it here.
5eece1459b7485be1aff700812ff008e.jpg

The problem is it's angled and I think that throws off the perspective. So here it is straightened along with the chronicles pic..
3b129b9da5f7cc7197cf5bfc5df5f96b.png
badcff7664401570fd6391884c3775f2.png

And here it is enlarged. I could not logically figure why back in the 70's they would not just glue this top part flat as it's the smallest part of the 3 cylinders. It would only make sense to have it flush doesn't it? Otherwise what's holding it place..
e8929cbf5423ab9a591e3dbd5b4041a9.jpg
66ff5f3bff566a090db2d1092e4de9e7.jpg

And with the pic over exposed.
ef4243ec35150260f4ac72ee82c124af.jpg

This is pretty much the only picture that I know of that clearly shows this grille straight on from the side. Does anyone else see this?

Last edited:
I definitely see what you're saying here. I'd chalk it up to slop and perspective though. Replicating it would be a matter of screen accurate or idealized IMHO.

Here's a perfect 90 degree angle overlay, with the Mauser rotated so the bottom of the mag is perfectly horizontal. The front edge of the grills are vertical, but the ridges appear to angle up toward the back of the gun. It's apparent that none of the grill parts are perfectly cut, none of the edges line up vertically. This has got to be caused by perspective and slop, though I'm confused as to how you get a vertical front edge with angled ridges, unless the parts are warped! Slightly confused but still comfortable with doing them straight... :)

dl44-grill-slop.jpg

Last edited:
I definitely see what you're saying here. I'd chalk it up to slop and perspective though. Replicating it would be a matter of screen accurate or idealized IMHO.

Here's a perfect 90 degree angle overlay, with the Mauser rotated so the bottom of the mag is perfectly horizontal. The front edge of the grills are vertical, but the ridges appear to angle up toward the back of the gun. It's apparent that none of the grill parts are perfectly cut, none of the edges line up vertically. This has got to be caused by perspective and slop, though I'm confused as to how you get a vertical front edge with angled ridges, unless the parts are warped! Slightly confused but still comfortable with doing them straight... :)

View attachment 764141

Ya perspective for sure has a lot to do with perception and if these grille cylinders hold true to the cylinders that are readily available today then warping is also probably a main factor to consider as well. The ones I've cut to date they do warp pretty easily.

These added straight lines do seem to emphasize the angle, as subtle as it is, even more so on the bottom grille [emoji106]
20b2718db91f0153d27efea012a6ee85.jpg
Clearly there is not an answer that will make everyone agree as to what and how this grille was achieved but it's interesting to see it in a bit of a different light.

Last edited:
I hope I'm wrong but why would you have to alter an image that is already right? All those images are photoshopped but I don't understand why as we all came to that same conclusion long ago... I don't get it...

Sorry but what do you mean by altering an image that is already right and we all came to that conclusion long ago? I apologize if what I'm saying is old news.

Sorry but what do you mean by altering an image that is already right and we all came to that conclusion long ago? I apologize if what I'm saying is old news.

No my bad, Chubs. :/ I thought maybe someone had lightened the edge around the grill to back-light the tilt, but after digging up my old copy of the pic it's just blown up. I could swear I remember the guys discussing that angle where the cylinder pieces met before in this thread. I'll have to go back and see if I can find it. You're right though, there's no doubt that the angle is there.

-- edit --

Man, this thread is pain to find stuff in now that the images are gone. They were discussing that angle on this page and I'm pretty sure there were images in kpax's post:

https://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=118186&page=27&p=1791432&viewfull=1#post1791432

Kurtyboy had a partial of it a few post's later:

https://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=118186&page=27&p=1791620&viewfull=1#post1791620

Last edited:
I just rebuild the grille from the 3 individual cylinders trying to best duplicate what I perceive the grille to look like. I figure I have the parts, why not have a go at it and see how it comes out in the real world??

Also these are the best pictures I can find that show this grille from a few different angles. Not the best quality for the mystery disk side but what can you do..
50008f19310ca14c457be3a2ab35631c.jpg

And this is how it came out. I left it as rough around the edges as I could. Also it's not glued just tapped into place..
6c58dbd5a87221d91f84e77a0cecf2cf.jpg
5394c33e429e199b2b081c0a6b08483d.jpg
bd691a9008bc02e47be0e7a1af216861.jpg
d688fec206b4fc433769d1740a475c3a.jpg
18ffb2100683707f159adcc097110aa5.jpg
d9840c64742d22938ee3edb87e13dbf4.jpg
f87fbf779b9e166b7ead3066ab91d764.jpg

No my bad, Chubs. :/ I thought maybe someone had lightened the edge around the grill to back-light the tilt, but after digging up my old copy of the pic it's just blown up. I could swear I remember the guys discussing that angle where the cylinder pieces met before in this thread. I'll have to go back and see if I can find it. You're right though, there's no doubt that the angle is there.

-- edit --

Man, this thread is pain to find stuff in now that the images are gone. They were discussing that angle on this page and I'm pretty sure there were images in kpax's post:

https://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=118186&page=27&p=1791432&viewfull=1#post1791432

Kurtyboy had a partial of it a few post's later:

https://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=118186&page=27&p=1791620&viewfull=1#post1791620

Ya it's tough to know what has or hasn't been covered with these pictures missing. Besides this HERO build will never be shelved anyhow. It will always be a work in progress.. at least until the real prop is finally discovered in someone's London flat [emoji106]

Last edited:
Nice job! Just about as close as you can get for duplicating the original.

The top section as you have it I believe is very close to original. Although I think on the original it is leaning back a little due to excessive glue underneath. Very hard to tell with the images as you say. The minor variations I think is due to your overly clean gluing!

I think the glue they used was the old single stage tube glue that hardened into a crystalline like glue that was strong but riddle glue when left in thick sections. I believe this is what you see on the edges of the grill and where the mystery desk is located and also on the upper rail where something was glued similar to the MerrSon sight.

This thick Glue was probably built up underneath the grill sections which caused them to be lopsided as your reproduction shows.

When we created the kit model, we idealized the look of the grill and simulated the non-straight walls as best we could to be able to be machined in metal part and still have the over all look and feel of the original We figured the prop if done correctly would have had everything attached Street and even and clean. But like the flash hider, the real prop is wonky. And lots of people like it that way.

Nice job! Just about as close as you can get for duplicating the original.

The top section as you have it I believe is very close to original. Although I think on the original it is leaning back a little due to excessive glue underneath. Very hard to tell with the images as you say. The minor variations I think is due to your overly clean gluing!

I think the glue they used was the old single stage tube glue that hardened into a crystalline like glue that was strong but riddle glue when left in thick sections. I believe this is what you see on the edges of the grill and where the mystery desk is located and also on the upper rail where something was glued similar to the MerrSon sight.

This thick Glue was probably built up underneath the grill sections which caused them to be lopsided as your reproduction shows.

When we created the kit model, we idealized the look of the grill and simulated the non-straight walls as best we could to be able to be machined in metal part and still have the over all look and feel of the original We figured the prop if done correctly would have had everything attached Street and even and clean. But like the flash hider, the real prop is wonky. And lots of people like it that way.

Thanks ever so much kpax for the kind words! Means a lot coming for a person as invested as yourself with these builds. [emoji482]

I not sure if that residue is from glue or if it's what was left behind after a rough saw/cut when building these cylinders. What is clear is they certainly didn't do much polishing work.

I actually had it looking very clean at first. With the sides pretty smoothed out and flush with Mauser. Took a lot to rough it up lol.

But when playing around with how these cylinders are actually attached. I think the angle on both the bottom 2 and the top are simply from pushing them onto the Mauser itself. They pretty much naturally take that shape if u don't manipulate each to be straight. Or at least that's what I've encountered anyhow.

As of right now that grille is just tapped in place. No glue just yet.

Makes sense that the sections would push up against the Mauser magazine wall at a slight angle since the inside cylinder core must be molded with a taper to release from the mold. Just a few degrees but noticeable.
I agree that the edges were mangled quite a bit on the original but figure there must be some glue there as well since it seems fairly tight to that body on the original. Glue, paint, schmutz. Sloppy is a simple way to say it.

I would think that those parts were glued and re-glued several times after test firing. The original movie gun used fairly powerful blanks which rattled the frame quite a bit. No doubt shook parts off including the left antenna, mystery knob most likely, and maybe whatever was glued to the rail. That or Butterfingers Ford dropped it several times.

Again, really sloppy job...just like the original !!:D

Last edited:
how auch dose it costa tonus a denix for a build

- - - Updated - - -

sorry, that was riddled with typos, about how much would it cost to build a dl 44 with a denix, and how do I get the parts, it seems sold out for the most part.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back