Apple looking to buy disney?

Check the Variety link embedded in the article, where this "rumor" originated. It's nothing but speculation from industry types based on how much cash Apple has on hand. It's one step removed from a thought experiment.

Check the Variety link embedded in the article, where this "rumor" originated. It's nothing but speculation from industry types based on how much cash Apple has on hand. It's one step removed from a thought experiment.

Prople are too too quick to believe everything they read on the internet as the truth.

Pixar, not disney, and I wouldnt even say big to be honest.

"In 2006, Pixar was acquired by the Walt Disney Company in an all-stock transaction worth $7.4 billion. Jobs, owning 50.1% of Pixar stock, thereby became the Walt Disney Company's largest individual shareholder, owning 7% of the company, and was appointed to the Walt Disney Company Board of Directors, a position he held until his death."

"In 2006, Pixar was acquired by the Walt Disney Company in an all-stock transaction worth $7.4 billion. Jobs, owning 50.1% of Pixar stock, thereby became the Walt Disney Company's largest individual shareholder, owning 7% of the company, and was appointed to the Walt Disney Company Board of Directors, a position he held until his death."
Yeah and now he is dead. What kind of impact did he have on the company aside from the Pixar thing though is what Im saying. He was on the board for 5 years. I dont think he had that big of an impact on Disney is what Im saying.

Can't wait to see what @Bryancd has to say about this...

Yes, I have been asked quite a bit about this. This is not a new rumor. Initially the thought was Apple should buy Netflix. Now people think Disney as a content creator would be a better acquisition target. Apple really is a portable media device maker first and foremost and one can see how they would have a desire to own the content as well.

So a few things. Could Apple buy Disney? Yes. Apple has a market capitalization of about $770B making it the largest company in the world based on market cap. Disney is valued around $180B. Apple has about $260B in cash or liquid assets. So at the current market cap of Disney Apple could pay cash and have a lot of change left over. Of course Disney would never except current value, they would want a massive premium over that to consider a sale.

Would Disney consider selling to Apple? Yes, there is always a price that could make it happen. Disney shares trade at $113. If Apple was able to offer $300 per share the Board of Disney would have to consider that and possibly put it to a vote of the shareholders. Remember, the shareholders own Disney and Disney's primary corporate fiduciary responsibility is to maximize shareholder return on investment. They would certainly face regulatory FCC hurdles as was mentioned above as well.

So do I think this could happen? No, it's too expensive for even Apple and although they would covet owning the content Apple isn't a theme park company and they would likely have to break Disney apart to make it work for them. And knowing that Disney would demand such a massive premium to make this economically unviable.

- - - Updated - - -

I would take it with a HUGH grain of salt. Right now Apple is more interested in buying Toshibas chip business.

And getting into the autonomous automobile business.

gotcha...

I hate when that happens though, because the LAST time someone suggested someone sell something, Les Moonves sold CBS Radio because of it IIRC, and now my favorite morning show is in jeapordy :(. Sometimes people do listen to these things

gotcha...

I hate when that happens though, because the LAST time someone suggested someone sell something, Les Moonves sold CBS Radio because of it IIRC, and now my favorite morning show is in jeapordy :(. Sometimes people do listen to these things

Yeah, somehow I don't see Disney selling to Apple. They're too much of a moneymaker on their own for the shareholders to risk it.

Yeah and now he is dead. What kind of impact did he have on the company aside from the Pixar thing though is what Im saying. He was on the board for 5 years. I dont think he had that big of an impact on Disney is what Im saying.
Yes, he is, but his wife inherited all of his shares, making her now the largest individual shareholder of Disney, and god knows how much shares she has for Apple, but after what happened to Jobs in 1985, I would guess that he made sure sure to own enough shares that he was intouchable... which are now in his wife's possession. Therefore if she was on board with the idea, she could have a great impact on the transaction.

If, by some miracle of financial misjudgement, this were to actually happen, you just know that Tony Stark would suddenly start wearing his Model 50 armor almost exclusively.

nvHJQcS.jpg

First off, Disney isn't selling to anyone. Secondly, that means Apple would have to pull money from overseas and it would cost them a metric buttload in taxes. It's just not going to happen.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back