[ISSUE RESOLVED] I think I got burned by a member here...

MattgomeryBurns

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Update 12/12/16: This issue has finally been resolved. Please see last post for further explanation and pictures.
-----------------------------------------------------------

Updating my original post because @Phantombatman emailed me back. In a bizarre set of circumstances, my $250 "gift" payment through PayPal friends & family raised a red flag to his bank in Switzerland. I understand the banks are faced with much more stringent regulations now after some crackdowns on corrupt practices.

Anyway, his account was blocked from any activity while they looked into the transaction to make sure he wasn't laundering money. They also advised him not to contact me while they investigated, which explains his radio silence.

The batarang is being shipped tomorrow. This whole thing is so bizarre because I've definitely sent more money to Europe though PayPal before, but Switzerland must be a different story.

My sincerest apologies to @Phantombatman for the headache this has caused.

--------------------------------------------------------
God I hate to do this...

I was on the hunt for a Henry Wayne sonar batarang and found someone on the internet who had one left. I moved forward with the purchase when I found out that he not only helped Henry Wayne on the project, but was also a member here, @Phantombatman.

Well 2 missed shipping dates have come and gone, and I haven't heard from him since Oct 31st (almost 3 weeks ago). I've sent a few emails since then asking him about an update, the last one asking kindly to be upfront if there are any issues. No response...

I want to believe in the good of people, but when you take $250 from someone and say you will ship something 2 days after you receive payment, I start to lose faith. Oh and I doubt there is something keeping him from accessing the internet, because it shows that he logged onto the rpf last week.

So I guess I'm forced with airing dirty laundry here. I trusted him because he was a member. The whole situation just sucks because it's a piece I really want and they're impossible to find.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: I think I got burned by a member here...

Definitely within your right to call him out, but I've seen people take longer and have poorer communication and still come through. Hopefully this thread will be all it takes to get what's owed to you...

Definitely within your right to call him out, but I've seen people take longer and have poorer communication and still come through. Hopefully this thread will be all it takes to get what's owed to you...

I hope so. If it was waiting on a build I'd be more understanding.

Is it too late to raise a paypal claim if that is how you payed?

As soon as anyone pulls that crap on me i raise a claim.

If you can just do it.

Not too late, but I paid through Friends & Family (lesson learned for sure).

Damm, sorry to hear this.
Looks like I just got burned to the tune of $650 by another member here.
It just goes to show that we need to be more careful every day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Damm, sorry to hear this.
Looks like I just got burned to the tune of $650 by another member here.
It just goes to show that we need to be more careful every day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ouch, that's got to hurt. I've had my fair shares of bad experiences over the years. Anymore, I'll pretty much only do things through Paypal, or if you do the transaction through your bank, just contact them and file it as fraud.

@Stieller coeusvirtue damn, sorry to hear that guys. I'm going to give it till next week and then see what I can do through paypal.

Last edited by a moderator:

Seriously if you paid by credit card on paypal, then dispute charge on paypal and credit card regardless of you sending it for services or gift. Paypal usually takes care of its customers against fraud.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Seriously if you paid by credit card on paypal, then dispute charge on paypal and credit card regardless of you sending it for services or gift. Paypal usually takes care of its customers against fraud.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I am pretty sure that they won't take actions if sent as gift... You can always call them and ask maybe. They tend to be quite helpful on the phone, had good experience expect for the waiting time haha. But yeah it's one of the rules here to not pay as gift to any other members.... I mean unless you know they are trustworthy people, like Sarednab or Roland, but then, even them don't accept gifts payments!

If it applies here, anything paid through Paypal on your Credit Card cannot be covered by the Section 75 as the transaction is seen as Paypal as the man in the middle, a claim can only be done if its the seller directly charging your credit card. [not sure if this applies to other parts of the world, but this is the case in the UK]

Sorry to hear those that got burned! Good luck and hopefully you get either the thing you bought or your money back.

Thanks for all of your support guys. I sent one last email to him, letting him know I will contact Paypal if I don't hear from him by Monday morning. Although I'm sure @Phantombatman will read it here too, because he logged in 21 hours ago...

BTW there is a thread somewhere else where he called for another member's ban after they were accused of recasting...oh the irony.

Thanks for all of your support guys. I sent one last email to him, letting him know I will contact Paypal if I don't hear from him by Monday morning. Although I'm sure @Phantombatman will read it here too, because he logged in 21 hours ago...

BTW there is a thread somewhere else where he called for another member's ban after they were accused of recasting...oh the irony.
He was logged in 22 hours ago... right after you started this thread and called his name out. So he read it and is just choosing to ignore you.

Geez. I've NEVER had a bad buying experience on here, but it just pisses me off when something like this happens.

When I sell something I try to be as open as possible with what's going on. Sometimes work hits hard and I can't get to the post office... I would NEVER let it go more than two days without an update in that case.

Come on man, give the guy what he paid for or refund the money.

What state is he in?

He's in the state of Switzerland...

IMG_2838.JPG

And he was logged in again 2 hours ago. Did he reply to any of your PMs?
You know he is reading this... so let him know if you alerted the mods by now. He needs to realize he will be banned from here permanently if he doesn't come through.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back