Sealab Reissue

I've been watching this post for a while now...sad to see that it's not going through.
However...as a veteran GK producer I would love to talk with anyone who is willing to provide a kit for me to pull production molds. ( It will be returned )
If you are reading this and are willing to be that person...I would be glad to get these parts available (at a reasonable cost) once again.

Admittedly , they wouldn't be styrene...but they would be decent, high quality castings.

PM me for my E-Mail Address and we can discuss.

There you have it...the ball is in your court !
PS.... I can provide industry references going back over 15 years if required

Can anyone provide the correct kit part number for the Sealab 3 IMG_0011.JPG parts in this image ?
Thank you in advance for any help.

Just got an email that this has officially been cancelled...sad face.

Folks who preordered are getting emails telling them the Sealab is not going to be done due to lack of interest.
The Sealab order page is gone, and the last count was from Sept.1 and indicated they were 1 kit away from hitting the halfway point.

Have to wonder if it would have been different if they let the hobby stores know about it and had store order info as well.

Not a lack of interest; a lack of marketing. You actually have to bait a hook. A picture that was worth a damn maybe. Some historically significant bullet points linking this kit to ILM models. Or it's scarcity. Something.

Well that is unfortunate. A new styrene kit of the old Sealab would have been nice. Maybe another company with there head NOT up there ass, as far as marketing, will get it done.

So, anyone have access to some 4 inch OD tubing? I need if for a Sealab II and for my 1/48 scale B-36 model (hoo-boy, that's a big 'un.)

Regards, Robert

Acrylic vs Poly? Pros & Cons? I for one was supposing that the poly would be much harder to work with given it's hardness (toughness?)

R/ Robert

Acrylic vs Poly? Pros & Cons? I for one was supposing that the poly would be much harder to work with given it's hardness (toughness?)

R/ Robert

Most SS projects I've seen used acrylic, but everybody has there own preferences, ;). Poly is almost bullet proof, but don't know if it uses the same glues and such. I know the 5 foot falcon was acrylic so was the Big G. That's good enough for me, Cheers,

Joe

according to my sources, acrylic is 4x - 8x stronger than glass. polycarbonate is 200x stronger than glass. polycarbonate is what they make bulletproof windows out of.

based on personal experience (yes, i have built things out of both acrylic and polycarbonate), i find polycarb is more impact resisant but easier to scratch, acrylic is more brittle than poly, and will crack after a certain load is reached, rather than flex and give like polycarbonate, usually at the most in-opportune times... like when you are cutting a 6" tube to length in a chop saw, or shaping it on a lathe.

or when your model submarine is 3 feet below the surface.

in most places, polycarbonate is 2x the price of acrylic.

the same glues will glue poly to poly, and acrylic to acrylic, but not poly to acrylic. you are much better off if you stick with one type for the whole project. the only glues i know of that will glue poly to acrylic permanently are ones like "stabilit express".

anything from a hacksaw to a dremel will cut either. you cant score and snap either like you can with styrene, and anything thicker than typing paper will not be cut by scissors.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tsenecal, thank you so much for the concise 'briefing' on your experiences with these materials - exactly 'spot on' for what a modeler would need to know.. For a project like the Sealab 'hull', acrylic would probably be fine while poly might be better for fabricating a 1/48 scale B-36, just for the strength (and perhaps better as well for my 1/48 scale Saturn V project... at least for the first stage!)

Just another example of the fine community we have here... and thanks to everyone!

Regards, Robert

. . . acrylic is 4x - 8x stronger than glass. , I find polycarb is more impact resisant but easier to scratch, acrylic is more brittle than poly, and will crack after a certain load is reached, rather than flex and give like polycarbonate, usually at the most in-opportune times...
I agree - I've worked with acrylic a bit also & it is indeed very brittle & tricky to cut. But I find polycarbonate sheet (Lexan) to be softer (and harder to find in thicker gauges) which means it is easier to bend - perhaps the reason why they used acrylic for the X-Wing wings. I think acrylic is better to hold a structural shape as long as you come nowhere near its limit. Sytrene and softer plastics have the problem of "creep" (deformation when subjected to a load) so I think the use of Acrylic is merited in some cases with careful consideration. (We don't want sagging wings! :) ). Perhaps a combo of acrylic & aluminum is suitable for load bearing areas, then styrene or poly or other softer plastics for detaling and visible surfaces? Thanks for your info by the way - extremely helpful!

P.S. - they do sell scratch resistant polycarbonate but it's even more expensive! I think it's called "hardcoated"

Last edited:
Agree, they did only tell a small group about this offer.
Someone will do this one day....

I have to agree ... and better sooner than later

Com'on guys ... what do we have to do to make this happen ??? Kickstarter ..... bribe Atlantis .... find another company .. something

Can't remember how many preorders we were missing .... but less than half, right ..... just a thought (and I know it's all about money) .. but what if we just doubled our individual orders ... I know I know a bit crazy

I preordered 10 ..... and yes I would actually be ready to preorder 20, if that meant that it could be made possible.

Just an idea

Any other ideas

We just HAVE to get this ball rolling again .... we where sooooo close :)

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back