ANH Hero DL-44 Discussion - Three ANH Greeblies Found

Re: ANH Hero DL-44 Discussion - Three ANH Greeblies FOUND, Update in 1st Post

What he said. Ther was a live firing DL44 in ESB (commonly known as the 'Luke' version) used for studio shots, while MGCs were used on location (they couldn't export the live firing to Norway).

It´s the one we talked about.
Even if you refer to the life firing version as the "Luke", the picture we looked over was of Han holding it, correct!?

Now there is ANOTHER blaster I HAVE to make :behave
The MGC-based Bespin blaster, Hans "Hoth" blaster and now the life firing Bespin DL44.

C´mon...give me a break!!!
I thought I´d be done with 3 variations of the ROTJ DL44 already :lol

Markus

It's what MR called the Luke blaster. DOH!

It´s the one we talked about.
Even if you refer to the life firing version as the "Luke", the picture we looked over was of Han holding it, correct!?

Now there is ANOTHER blaster I HAVE to make :behave
The MGC-based Bespin blaster, Hans "Hoth" blaster and now the life firing Bespin DL44.

C´mon...give me a break!!!
I thought I´d be done with 3 variations of the ROTJ DL44 already :lol

Markus

...he said laser disk...did you leave it in your Delorean?:cool

..nighty night all...:sleep

I dusted off the Delorean but my Flux Capacitor is on the fritz, so I'll have to settle for this frame capture from the Laser Disc of Star Wars. (Laser disc player, untouched for over a decade, was on the fritz too. Had to open it up and insert the disc manually. Stuff don't last!) Amazing to think that at one time this was the pinnacle of home entertainment visual quality!:confused

attachment.php

Sure looks to me like they played with the color of the flash for the Blu Ray.

mg81flash1.jpg

they added a blue hue . . . hence the name blue ray :D

-Chaim

:rolleyes

I should have noticed last night that in the frame Kpax posted after the flash, the blue highlights and kicks are all still there in the background and on the wardrobe and actor's face. Lighting, not gun flash. My bad.

mg81flash2.jpg

Has anyone posted this before? In these two frame grabs you see a laser bolt coming out of the gun with no flash. The second frame shows the spent casing ejecting. It's easy to see when you go through the sequence frame by frame in an editing program. This is one of those instances where the gun fired, but because of the position of the camera shutter, the blast was completely missed.

attachment.php

I just watched that blooper video again. Take a look at around 20 seconds into the video, you can see a behind the scenes clip from ANH where the stormtroopers are all firing off blanks out of their blasters. But notice the standard size and color muzzle flashes they produce..

Star Wars Bloopers - Episodes IV, V, VI

It seems very possible that the live firing blasters throughout SW including the Hero DL-44 likely fired blanks at some point, but that big blue muzzle flash isn't any apparent evidence of it in my opinion since it appears to have possibly been added into the film.

-Carson

...maybe in a few years when the release the super double bluray 4k bonus 9 disk set we will see better details!

glad we are all not too obsessive with this stuff and everyone maintains a reasonable approach to figuring out these things.

...no extremists here at all...:confused

...maybe in a few years when the release the super double bluray 4k bonus 9 disk set we will see better details!

Unfortunately, by the time they release the Super Double BluRay 4K Extravaganza Edition, Lucas will have altered the film so that Han Solo never fires his gun at all, and the Stormtroopers will all be Ewoks.

glad we are all not too obsessive with this stuff and everyone maintains a reasonable approach to figuring out these things.

...no extremists here at all...:confused

I can take a hint.:wacko Resuming normal life, (whatever that is) at least for a little while...

Very interesting photos Kurtyboy, Thanks for posting!

It's possible the blaster could still be firing blanks since it's definitely capable of it, we just don't have any visible proof of it yet. But either way it seems likely that the flash was still added into the film. Notice how the flash changes from blue to white in the photos and also the added laser beam matching the angle that the blaster's pointed in the last photo.

It would be cool to know whether it was actually firing blanks or not though! Despite the huge, possibly fake muzzle flash..:unsure

-Carson

Doubtful it was added, muzzle flash is a recent thing as safety comes more of an issue, fewer armorers working with blanks and squibs, and digital effects get easier. Also, the hammer is back, so tracking it frame by frame will help.

In that same scene of the actual film when you see Han fire the blaster, again it has that same huge blue muzzle flash just like the ANH Hero. And in the very next frame it's gone without a trace

As an editor and director working with real blanks, this is how it generally works; the flash is only 1-3 frames.

Unfortunately, by the time they release the Super Double BluRay 4K Extravaganza Edition, Lucas will have altered the film so that Han Solo never fires his gun at all, and the Stormtroopers will all be Ewoks.

I can take a hint.:wacko Resuming normal life, (whatever that is) at least for a little while...

...who wants a normal life? :lol

...well at least GL is not in total control anymore. The changes should slow down now. But we love GL for all he did.!

...hey if you get back in that Delorean again, bring back some Twinkies!

No way was that flash added to the film. As Treadwell already explained better than I did, the added effects in SW are super cheesy in comparison. Look at the training remote laser deflections or sparks when Vader's Tie collides with his wingman's.

I just watched that blooper video again. Take a look at around 20 seconds into the video, you can see a behind the scenes clip from ANH where the stormtroopers are all firing off blanks out of their blasters. But notice the standard size and color muzzle flashes they produce..

Star Wars Bloopers - Episodes IV, V, VI

It seems very possible that the live firing blasters throughout SW including the Hero DL-44 likely fired blanks at some point, but that big blue muzzle flash isn't any apparent evidence of it in my opinion since it appears to have possibly been added into the film.

-Carson

thought I'd post this to help for those not sure about cutting the Mauser barrel for a sleeve version barrel.

Cut just in front of where the screw contacts the mauser barrel.

You could also cut flush with the end of the booster depending on how you like the look.

mauserbarrelcutforsleev.jpg

Cool! I actually cut mine longer... JUST in case. So I will be adjusting it in time.

updated: My mix and match pieces from the run.

I used aluminum black on the bare aluminum scope mount part, and blued the screws, and the steel flash hider, then lightly weathered it with steel wool.

I still need to strip and blue the lower half of the mgc, but its looking closer:

Sunlight. Correllian Exports resin grill is loosely sitting there.
E20130227-144333.jpg

E20130227-144507.jpg

E20130227-144551.jpg

Fluorescent lighting helps show the color differences of all the pieces clearly.
photo%202.JPG

photo%203.JPG

photo%204.JPG

photo%205.JPG

photo%207.JPG

photo%209.JPG

photo%2010.JPG

photo%206.JPG

As you can see lighting makes a huge difference. Overall, I kind of like that the parts don't match exactly... and it kind of bugs me at the same time.

Anyway, there's my work in progress.

...looking good!

I don't think the parts need to match exactly and think it looks REALer when they don't. In the HERO pics of HAN holding it, you can see the wear and color difference of the body and Grill and FH.

tumblr_lsiep7k1uA1qmnqf0o1_1280.jpg

You can also either clearcoat or way the entire piece to equal out the shine levels and protect the finish. A clear lacquer is very protective from further oxidation and also is handle-able.

Last edited:

That looks awesome, @Scottjua. I like the variety of finishes. I imagine his character would have pieced his blaster together from the components that worked best for him, so they wouldn't match.

I'm supposed to see the beginnings of my Blaster tomorrow. A bona fide, genuine Mauser C96. I get to sign for it at my local gunshop and then start the ten day waiting period.

Fingers crossed that the photos weren't lying; it looked pretty good on Gunbroker.com.
Then once the 2nd run of parts is done I can really join this party.

Not all flashes are going to be the same, because not all blank loads are the same. There are different strengths one can choose from. A wimpy flash in one scene does not negate bigger real flashes in others. And flashes don't always happen even if they intend them to. Ask anyone who shoots.

Oh, and the ESB blooper isn't behind-the-scenes, (or is is really a blooper in this case), it is raw footage from the main camera. And both guns fire. I guess they just wanted to get a few in a row without stopping.

As for Harrison saying "bang", that ROTJ footage IS behind-the-scenes, and is of a rehearsal, not a take.

Thanks for the laserdisc capture, VFX Freak! Apparently the flash hasn't changed very much proportionately since '77..:wacko

Great find on that higher res frame too, that certainly seems to show a cartridge ejecting from the blaster in ANH. That might be our first real evidence that it's really firing blanks!! :love

Thanks everyone for joining in on the muzzle flash discussion, all of your ideas and experience is really helpful in solving these sort of things! The ESB bespin scene still has me wondering about those blue flashes though. We can clearly see the scene being filmed on the Blooper video with two firing blasters in that scene, neither of which had any visible muzzle flash at all. And weirdly enough when you watch that same scene in the actual Film the muzzle flashes suddenly appear all throughout that scene, both blue and orange/standard flashes. Very odd..

But like Kpax said, until we all have better reference to work from we can't really know for sure at the moment.

-Carson

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back