Chief Jim Hopper Costume and Props Thread

And also I finally identified his knife!

It’s a Sheffield Superior Folder. I originally thought it may have been a Gerber AR 3.0, but nope! It’s a cheap knockoff. :D

Hopper’s appears to be the version with italic script rather than the cursive or block letters. I have no idea which variation is newer or older. The cursive variant also has additional serrations.

88ca51114d94d6b38341971ce0514438.jpg

Now, I’ve gathered that the Hopper crowd doesn’t seem to be as anal retentive as some of the members here, but for those that would like to have the proper knife but are concerned with convention security, I’ve made a 3D model that should be acceptable almost anywhere if you want to swap the blade.

abbb6388b6697a9b5e225e6492c801bf.jpg

I’ve currently got it on Shapeways, but since I believe it technically goes against their rules, they may have issues printing them (I’ve not yet printed one for myself). https://www.shapeways.com/product/J...hopper-s-sheffield-superior?optionId=70068688 (Yes, I did dismantle one of my own for reference.)

Last edited:
That's awesome! Thanks so much for doing the research!

UPDATE: I see that all three variants you show are available on Ebay and quite inexpensive.

I'll be ordering one with the correct font as you show. Thanks again!

BTW the only knife that would be allowed at Cons around here would be a one-piece resin cast of the closed knife, a prop with no moving parts and no metal parts. (Some Cons have metal detectors you have to pass through.)

The only pistol I've brought into any Cons has been one solid hunk of resin, no metal, no moving parts. Even so, it's banned at most of the local Cons where nothing resembling a weapon is allowed.

Last edited:
Get ready for Season Three cosplay!

Short-sleeved undershirt and uniform shirt.

Looks like the S1 belt. Is the pistol S1 or S2?

3bbVyBQ.jpg

Last edited:
Hey Guys. Just started putting together a Hopper costume after debating doing it for a long time. I just wanted to first say thanks to all of you for the amazing research you put forth. It made the whole process so simple to put together and make a screen accurate looking costume. The only roadblock I have encountered was trying to find a good holster. I know everyone was talking about finding a vintage Don Hume holster on ebay and elsewhere but i can't seem to find anything anywhere that looks similar to the screen used one. Has anybody been able to find a decent lookalike anywhere? This is the last piece I need and I am so excited!

The only roadblock I have encountered was trying to find a good holster. I know everyone was talking about finding a vintage Don Hume holster on ebay and elsewhere but i can't seem to find anything anywhere that looks similar to the screen used one.

EDIT: see below where I show a Tex Shoemaker "50" Jordan holster that's very close. They're common in a tan colour similar to the show holster.

Unlike the Don Hume 216 which appears to be rare in that colour.

Last edited:
There’s quite a few pics out there of his new look. He’s got a new watch and boots too.

Ah, I see. And a mobile phone from the future!

R0iFfa9.jpg

Those boots are awfully worn for new boots!

mH0Wi4U.jpg

This cosplay is out for me... not going to shave off my beard! (It took over 50 years for my workplace to allow beards...)

The belt appears closer to the S2 belt, but is it the same? It looks black, and smaller.

rECUI3m.jpg

And no hair tie on his wrist?

Last edited:
Gentlefolk, I am working on a Jim Hopper for Halloween. I came across this thread and have been using the info and adapting as needed.

I am going to comprise a list of all the info I took from this thread and share the results I have had over this week. I am opening packages and taking pictures this evening.

The short version is: this is an awesome thread and I hope that my consolidation of a build from zero to about 87% screen acceptable will be helpful.

I was only able to do what I share by standing on the backs of you giants!

So I did a bit more digging on the holster since I was going crazy about it and wanted it to look as screen accurate as I could. I came across a Tex Shoemaker original 50a basket weave jordan holster in the same color as Hopper's . It's a bit pricey at $82 but thought you guys would want to know!
Tex Shoemaker Border Patrol Revolver Holster For Colt and S&W Plain Basketweave | eBay

UPDATE: In a post below I show a screen shot and a Tex Shoemaker tan Jordan 50 holster and they appear to be a pretty good match.

Last edited:
Hey y'all,
This is quite an exhaustive thread! I am going a slightly different route with my Hopper costume - I've gotten nearly everything together for the "casual Hopper" look - including that sweet flannel shirt.
Has anyone managed to track down a good brown corduroy jacket, as seen in the first message in the thread? I've scoured eBay and Amazon, but haven't had much luck.
Thanks in advance for your help!

first of all great post!
I am trying to set up my own hopper costume right now. So far I have most of the items I need, but I can´t find a shirt which will ship all the way to germany.
Are there any other brands beside Elbeco and Red Cross I might have overlooked and still look similar to the original? Thanks for your help!

B5F511BA-002D-4222-B377-A73EC264BA0A.jpeg13280BEC-590C-4A6B-8D2D-72A6082223AC.jpegI managed to scrape together a pretty decent Hopper for Halloween in Salem, Mass.

I wound up ordering the pants from an online uniform supply store and shelled out almost $100, then had to take the shirt and pants to a tailor as the pants were too small (despite ordering my exact measurements) and the shirt was too large (I ordered it off Amazon in two consecutive sizes and the smaller was too small and the larger one was too large). The tailoring set me back $90 alone and I still need to get the pant legs tapered because while she let out the waist, she didn’t touch the legs and they are very wide cut.

Found the Kikkerland pen on eBay, along with the Scunci hair elastic with the info posted in this thread.

The badge and name tag were from Etsy sellers and were both perfect, along with both shoulder patches.

I found cheap moc-toe boots for $30 or so on eBay. Not a perfect match but close and affordable.

The hat was a Scala Bristol that I ordered from tenthstreethats.com. The crown was a bit short and the brim about a quarter or half inch too thin, but the color fit the bill more than some of the other budget hats I had found (I refuse to splurge on the official replica).

I also picked up some cheap aviators on Amazon to hide the fact I don’t really look like David Harbour haha.

The undershirt was found for $15 at jcpenney and wasn’t a perfect match but it did the trick.

I purchased the mug from spirit Halloween last year and just used it as a bonus.

I don’t have photos of the holster but it was a close match in a Don Hume version that was a darker brown but appropriately patterned and was found on eBay and I negotiated the seller down to about $30. The revolver was a cheap UHC airsoft knockoff that didn’t really match either screen used gun from the firearms database for the show, but worked well enough in the holster.

I didn’t bother getting a closely matched belt and instead just used a brown leather belt I wear to work regularly.

As for the watch, I purchased a used Timex Atlantis 100 from circa 1987. It’s not the exact one that we seemed to have narrowed down from the show stills, but I managed to find it on eBay and haggled the seller down to about $25 and it’s vintage, still runs, and I really like it. The compass is the black and green variant we narrowed it down to but it’s junk and doesn’t work IRL so idk how Hopper gets around Hawkins let alone the upside down

I have some questions for all of you:

1) has anyone yet made US flag patches like the ones seen on the Hawkins Police uniforms in the show?

If not, I plan to do a run of them now. It would be, for many, the final touch needed for a screen accurate costume. (All the Ebay and Etsy sellers I've seen are selling ordinary US flag patches, not the kind used in Stranger Things.)

2) What dimensions should I go with?

3) Are the shirt patches and jacket patches the same size?

Thanks!

WsWCD0X.jpg

k4VfOYe.jpg

ZRRiqQT.png

Attachments

• B95Fo8I.jpg
    B95Fo8I.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 214
Last edited:
I'd love to see a proper flag patch made. This is something I had considered looking into myself, but quickly got sidetracked.
I'd also love to see an accurate Hawkins patch made. There are some nice ones out there and at least one that was pretty close, but still not quite right.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back